Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in the villages...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Sleeping in the villages...

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Same for all my trips. Old and young in large numbers, but where are the 18-25?
    Hiding.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dalewood (November 27th, 2017), snotface (November 20th, 2017)

Liked

@Snotface -- Exactly, and thanks for helping prove my point. Your experience is exactly what I'm looking to avoid, because again, there's a good chance I'm going to be in that village for a good 30 days/year, so I'm going to make myself comfortable. I want to look forward to those village trips, instead of trying to come up with excuses as to why I can't go. Letting me make my own little camp site should do the job just fine.

Then I don't give a shit about the weird looks I'll get, because I'm blind now, so I don't give a shit. I know what you mean though. I remember at Kim's fathers village, Kim's grandma wouldn't stop pinching me. Yes lady, my skin is actually white. You can pinch it all you want, the white doesn't rub off and turn brown or anything. Geez....

Liked

Just sleep on the floor and blend in. It is really not hard and you get used to it.

I never had trouble sleeping, and sitting on the floor all day is no problem either.

You sound like an old primadonna.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    The above post reminds me very much of the "trip report" that frequent made here:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...saan-adventure

You don't know frequent, snotface. He left shortly before you appeared.
    'Lord, what fools these mortals be.' (For anyone unfamiliar with the source - sglad will of course know it - it's said by that mischievous fairy Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream).

As for monks and house visits, I was a rarity in the village and no doubt that justified the call. Morning or afternoon? After so long I cannot remember with certainty. After my tour of the village doing my Pied Piper of Hamelin impression anyway.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (November 23rd, 2017)

Liked

Oh and about Lao internet, I am in my hotel in Vientiane, trying to book Uth-Bkk on thai smiles.

The hotel wifi is bad, so now using my Lao telecom sim using a data package, it is so slow and unreliable that the last step of the booking (cc verification) failed twice. Mulling about just calling them, that is how useless Lao mobile internet is.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Same for all my trips. Old and young in large numbers, but where are the 18-25?
    They’re in Sunnee and Boyztown, Nongprue, Chonburi Province.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Oh and about Lao internet, I am in my hotel in Vientiane, trying to book Uth-Bkk on thai smiles.

The hotel wifi is bad, so now using my Lao telecom sim using a data package, it is so slow and unreliable that the last step of the booking (cc verification) failed twice. Mulling about just calling them, that is how useless Lao mobile internet is.

It'll be fine. A phone's internet connection tethered to Leo's laptop in his village is fast enough for him to play GoN (computer game -- Hereos of Neworth, or something), so I'm sure it'll be more than good enough for me to check e-mail, get some work done, etc.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    It'll be fine. A phone's internet connection tethered to Leo's laptop in his village is fast enough for him to play GoN (computer game -- Hereos of Neworth, or something), so I'm sure it'll be more than good enough for me to check e-mail, get some work done, etc.
    Ok, probably less congested then over here in Vientiane. I ended up going to a wired computer to book my tickets.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
    I don't care if cndmatt's post are real or fake. I enjoy reading about his real or fantasy world. If real then cndmatt is a real character (as in a an odd duck - in a good way), if fake then they are interesting that someone would put that much effort into creating an online persona and then taking so much abuse.

I fail to see how taking cndmatt's posts are possibly real and responding to them makes this board a joke.
    He has elicited a strong response from you. Why the hostility toward his postings? They are harmless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
    No-one needs to post photos to make sceptics look like fools. They can manage that all on their own.
    Just found this response.
    There’s a distinct air of foolish thinking about it
    So all skeptics/sceptics are fools?
    I would posit the exact oposite.
    Socrates might have been a fool to be a skeptic but his ideas were not often shared by fools.
    To paraphrase an age-old saying;
    All truth starts as heresy.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by snotface View Post
    As for monks and house visits, I was a rarity in the village and no doubt that justified the call.
    If the elderly monk wanted to see you for whatever reason, he would've sent for you. You would have been encouraged by the villagers to go see him and they would've probably taken you to the temple themselves. The monk is the one of the higher status, not you. Monks don't make housecalls just to gawk especially not a frail, elderly, senior monk.

After my tour of the village doing my Pied Piper of Hamelin impression anyway.
    One of your many, I gather.