Now planning my winter break in the LoS, I am going to need one visa run in mid Feb.

- Where to?

Siam Reap is relatively easy. Although the flights aren't cheap, the timing avoids the need for a hotel in bangers - or travelling at ungodly hours. Visa on arrival also makes things simple.

But.. I've had my fill of Cambodia's rich but primitive culture. They breed some delightful guys, but those who work seem to taken advantage of ASEAN and decamped to Pattaya. On my last two visits I always woke alone, and not by choice..

But what are the alternatives? Laos is charming, in a French colonial way, but my one trip there suggested that the adult scene is so repressed that it trades in a dangerous gutter. I'm told that Vietnam is even worse.

Burma is a bit fussy on the visa front, but not impossibly so. It has been a very repressed country, and as it has opened up one hears of shortage propelling hotel room rates, but the words 'sex' and ' Burma' (let alone 'gay') never seem to feature in the same sentence..

Sri Lanka is tempting, but the flight timings are horrid. My distant recollection of the PI is of a country where one is constantly hustled, which I didn't like.

So back to Cambodia? Might PP be more fun..? Am I missing a trick in Siem Reap?? Hmm....