Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Buying a Car in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Buying a Car in Thailand

I plan to buy a car (actually a Jeep) in the near future as part of my pre-retirement planning and have a few questions:

I already have an A-O retirement visa, established Thai bank account, own a condo, and have maintained ownership of a motorbike for several years so I know that I quality to buy a car - but in the dark about a few things:

I plan to buy a used vehicle for sale by owner only - not new or used from car dealer)

1) How does one ensure that the title is clear for transfer before making the purchase?

2) Where does one go to get license plates.

3) How much do plates cost and how often do they have to get renewed?

4) Roughly - How much does car insurance cost for liability and collision coverage?

5) Are there any reputable auto repair facilities in PTY?

6) In the U.S. I carry AAA with towing service and I have phone number to call in the event my car breaks down on the road. What do you do if your car breaks down 100 miles from your place of residence in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer

Liked

Re: Buying a Car in Thailand

You know who to ask about this.

Liked

Re: Buying a Car in Thailand

1.The car owner will have the blue book in his possession (or the finance company)
    2.license plates come with the car, it is the registration and compulsory insurance that must be renewed annually.
    3. See 2
    4. Compulsory insurance is 640 baht per year. The existing insurance policy can be transferred to you for the remainder of the year. See an agent,for a quotation.
    5. Yes, MG, opposite King Power on Sukumvit.
    6. Emergency service is available and cheap, and included in my policy with AXA insurance.

Best to buy new as used cars are expensive here and there is no warranty (buyer beware). I have bought 2 new cars here and sold two cars here.