Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Liked

Re: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    I'm a Unionist in the Uk but even I concede the Scots ( who voted for independence) would be mad NOT not have another dig at it.
    It's almost bait-like. huh? How can Scotland pass up this bright, shiny opportunity?! It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. In the next few weeks, I imagine Spain will throw carpet-gnawing conniptions if Brussels entertains Sturgeon even in an unofficial capacity. I'm wondering because of Catalonia, whether Spain might well veto any attempt by Scotland to join the EU forevermore anyway.

I'm also waiting to see what the next few months brings, whether there is in fact a backlog of proposals and legislation that's been on hold to prevent frightening the Brits. Turkey, anyone?

I should also put my hand up and confess I voted out, based on a single issue for me, which is the EU's treatment of the people of Greece, which I find abhorrent and completely unacceptable.
    Last edited by Tobi; June 26th, 2016 at 04:31.

Liked

Tobi

From a situation 2 days ago where it was ONLY the SNP (and Scottish Greens) were advocating Independence - with all other politicians and media implacably opposed, things have moved incredibly fast:

Former Labour First Minister Henry McLeish has come out for Indy
    Former Labour Health Minister Malcolm Chisholm has come out for Indy
    Slavishly Labour supporting tabloid newspaper the Daily Record has come out for Indy
    Broadsheet newspaper The Herald has come out for Indy as has the Sunday Herald
    Executive Editor of the Daily Mail in Scotland (fucking hell) Kevin McKenna has come out for Indy
    Sunday Post poll puts support for Indy @ 65% (with DKs excluded)
    Mike Dailly - member of the Financial Services Authority's statutory advisory body and a member of the European Banking Authority's Banking Stakeholder Group - has come out for Indy
    Jean-Christophe Lagarde - President of France's Union of Democrats and Independents - has written to President Hollande of France urging an EU "open door" for Scotland
    German Parliament has said Scotland "welcome in the EU"

I've been around a long time, probably so have you - when tipping point is reached things move incredibly fast.

At this point I have no idea how it's going to roll - and I'd respectfully suggest neither do you.

Let's just sit back and watch, instead of ping ponging posts between us

#Saw your reply to NIrish and on the Spanish veto a) they have never said they would use it and b) they need the access to Scottish fishing waters. There is no parallel with Catalonia
    Last edited by scottish-guy; June 26th, 2016 at 04:41.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Let's just sit back and watch, instead of ping ponging posts between us
    Umm, you jumped in on my original response to @Fountainhall, but do feel free to retire from the fray if you're overtired and fretful.

However, as I said, I'm more than happy to get a bucket of popcorn in, sit back and watch what I think will turn out to be a highly entertaining farce. I've got side-bets on the Euro being a busted flush, with the Netherlands next to get their own referendum, followed by Sweden and France. It'll be hilarious if Scotland ends up begging to climb on a bandwagon just as everyone else leaps off, huh?

Liked

Terribly sorry to have "jumped in" on your private conversation (in a public forum) with Fountainhall LOL

I'd assumed most SGT members are happy to have their posts commented on - and that's why they post?

UPDATE

Guy Maurice Marie Louise Verhofstadt - 47th Prime Minister of Belgium - says "Wrong that Scotland might be taken out of EU when it voted to stay. Happy to discuss with Nicola Sturgeon next time she's in Bxl"

PS: Any guy who has the middle names Marie Louise deserves our respect!!

PPS: Anybody interested in following the fast-moving developments go to #indyref2

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by rincondog View Post
    By the time of the November election it will probably be obvious that Britain will be in or headed for a recession. Clinton only needs to point that out as an example of what Trump would do to the economy. She is already making the case that he would be a disaster for the US economy.
    It's also something the EU is relying heavily on, their worst nightmare will be if it doesn't happen, as a "successful" UK after Brexit means people in other countries will perceive there's nothing to fear from leaving the EU. However, I don't think Clinton will necessarily benefit by November, as the UK might not even have triggered Article 50 by then. It also wouldn't totally surprise me if Mutti doesn't make up some kind of "associate" membership of the EU and dangle that in front of the UK to prevent a complete split.
    Last edited by Tobi; June 26th, 2016 at 05:23.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Terribly sorry to have "jumped in" on your private conversation (in a public forum) with Fountainhall
    No need to apologise, but I'm happy to accept yours, just try to remember that if you do reply in someone's stead, it's impolite to try and cut the conversation before they've had a chance to respond.

Liked

Clinton doesn't need any help to defeat Trump. They've planned this campaign for years now, and have also (quite successfully) played both, Trump and the Republican party as fools. It's already started, and only going to grow in intensity. Just wait for the televised general election debates, and watch Clinton make Trump look like a total imbecile.

Liked

People of Northern Ireland will hopefully get a chance to vote for reunification now.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Clinton doesn't need any help to defeat Trump. They've planned this campaign for years now, and have also (quite successfully) played both, Trump and the Republican party as fools. It's already started, and only going to grow in intensity. Just wait for the televised general election debates, and watch Clinton make Trump look like a total imbecile.
    If she is not in jail.

Liked

There's so much crap in this thread that to simplify things I'm going for the Auld Enemy. Scottish: Surely the arguments you are using for saying that Scotland will be fine away from the UK are the same ones being touted for saying the UK will be fine away from the EU. We English do indeed buy Scottish goods because they're bloody wonderful and this is the same reason the Europeans buy goods from us.