Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to gay bar chat.Pattaya street kids report

Liked

Alternative to gay bar chat.Pattaya street kids report

There are many who live in Pattaya or visit regularly,that do not survive on all the gay bar chat. The Pattaya Street Kids Support Group does untold wonders for those children who used to haunt Sunee Plaza and other places, This report shows what people can do from their open heart, to assist.

Report on Visit to Pattaya December 2015 тАУ January 2016
    PATTAYA STREET KIDSтАЩ SUPPORT PROJECT
    Registered Charity No. 1104335
    12 Dankton Lane, Sompting, West Sussex BN 15 0EA
    Tel: (01903) 763286
    Email: street-kids@outlook.com

For a .pdf copy of this report with pictures click here.

February 2016

We have recently returned from a five week visit to Pattaya where we had the opportunity to visit all of the projects that we are supporting. The Trustees are pleased to report that the changes we made to the administration of our work in Pattaya have worked well and everything is running smoothly.

The party at the HauyPong ChildrenтАЩs Home was as always a great evening, the kids had asked for burgers, sushi, sausages, rice and fries and these we were able to arrange. There were 280 kids at the party and each child received a gift during the evening. The Home is slowly reducing the number of children at the Home by working with families to, where possible; enable the children to return home. This is a slow process to ensure that the familiesтАЩ circumstances are improved to ensure the safety and welfare of the kids.

We were able to make a number of visits to Pak Ping Kum Pai ChildrenтАЩs Home (PPKP) where there are forty kids being cared for, as always the kids were great fun to be with and we attended the kids Christmas Party as we have done in previous years. Visits to the Home not only enable us to see how the support we have given at the Home has been used but also to see any other needs there are at the Home where we may be able to assist. We are continuing to meet the monthly food bill for the kids at the Home.

A couple of visits to the Crocodile KidsтАЩ Football Club let us see how improvements to the ground and equipment that we financed have improved things for the kids. Heiko who manages the club offered to put on a charity football tournament for both kids and adults and asked us to nominate where the money should be donated. We asked that the money be split 50/50 between KateтАЩs Project Trust who work with kids in the slums and Pak Ping Kum Pai. The tournament raised 60,000Baht (┬г1200) and on the day each project received a cheque for 30,000Baht. Many of the boys and girls from PPKP attend the training sessions at the club.

One Sunday we accompanied Sharon, Khun Ton and тАШLekтАЩ on a monthly food delivery to students in various slums. We admit we were was surprised at how time consuming it is to do the deliveries, on the day despite an early morning start to beat the traffic we were able to do ten food deliveries and that took us six hours. Most of the slums are well away from the main city area and many are located off unnamed tracks which themselves are off unnamed tracks found off unnamed roads. The horrendous traffic problems that Pattaya has add to the time taken to complete the visits. Usually the team spend time talking to families to ascertain if they have any other than the obvious problem of living in a slum and help with the completion of any legal documents that the families require.

We supported the New Year Party for the kids of KateтАЩs Project Trust and most of the one-hundred plus kids come from some of the poorest slums in Pattaya. There were games with prizes for the kids and their families as well as lunch from food carts. Every child received a large food parcel to take home with them. A number of the kids with KateтАЩs Project are sponsored for their education through PSK. Our thanks to Khun Noi for all of her hard work in organising the party.

For all of our students who attend schools in the Nongprue Municipal area we organised a day to give them their New Year gifts and also laid on food for the kids and their families. Shortly before the start there was torrential rain so it was very encouraging to see that almost every student turned up along with their family although as most used motorbikes for transport they were well and truly wet. The gifts were presented on our behalf to the kids by the Mayor of Nongprue and afterwards there was a lunch of noodles and soup for everyone. Our thanks to Sharon and some of the kids at PPKP who packed the gift bags of food for the kids to take home.

As always we were able to meet some sponsors who were visiting Pattaya and again as in previous year take kids for lunch and shopping on behalf of sponsors who were unable to visit. It did not take us long to work out that this yearтАЩs favourite lunch was going to be KFC and after six or seven KFC lunches we could take no more and opted for salad while the kids enjoyed their KFC. Liz, Suky and Boonying have continued to meet and greet sponsors and also organise the shopping trip for the kids. Sharon meets the sponsors of the kids at PPKP. We are delighted that despite changes in the way the project is working in Pattaya we are still working hand in hand with Liz, Suky and Khun Boonying.

A visitor from the UK expressed an interest in visiting a slum and seeing how the projects work so we arranged that we accompany Lhen Lhen of MERCY on a weekly visit to the slums to deliver food. The kids as always seem happy and it does make one wonder how they can always appear so happy when living in such deplorable conditions. Lhen Lhen has been working in the slums for more than fourteen years so she is well able to help the slum dwellers with most problems that crop up. We have had the pleasure of working with Lhen Lhen since 2000 and she is still the same bundle of energy that she was then.

Some of our older students now attend school outside of Pattaya so owing to the distances involved and time constraints we were not able to meet up with them during the visit but we will make contact with them to ensure everything is OK with them.

The kids at Pak Ping Kum Pai chose a McDonalds meal for their New Year Party but taking forty kids to the nearest McDonalds which is 8 miles from the home was not feasible with the transport available. So we went with Sharon to McDonalds to get takeaway meals but threw the staff there into a bit of a panic when we ordered forty various meals. The restaurant is located at Minisiam market on a major highway and when we arrived there was also a night market running so parking at McDonalds was impossible, we eventually parked where we were told not to do so and Sharon left it to us to тАШcharmтАЩ the parking attendant to let us park and in fact he even ended up helpfully suggesting that we visit McDonalds.!

After visiting a slum with Sharon when we did the food deliveries and Sharon saying that there were children there who needed a scholarship we ended up at the end of the visit with another twenty children who we are seeking sponsors for. If you feel you can help any of these kids you can find their details on this page: http://www.kids-sponsorship.org

The military government in Thailand has resulted in many of the laws that Thais have generally ignored in the past now being enforced and this has resulted in a drop in tourism and building projects. The result is that many of the workers in the building and service industries find themselves out of work. This added to the torrential rains and flooding during October and November which damaged many slum homes has brought even more hardship so there is still a great need for extra support.

Our thanks to Khun Sudjai, Khun Ton and Sharon at the Pak Ping Kum Pai ChildrenтАЩs Home for their hospitality and help in visiting the students and some of the slums. Also to Liz, Suky and Boonying for organising the shopping trip for the students and finding time to ferry us here and there despite their workload with Dek Dek Anukhot Sodsai and to Lhen Lhen for organising a visit to the slums she works in. Without them it would be impossible to carry out any visits to see the projects we are supporting.

The Trustees wish to place on record their thanks to everybody who donated towards the New Year parties; your support helped us make a special day for more than 500 kids. If you feel that you can be of help to us in helping the kids please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards.
    PSK Trustees.

Khun Boonying, Suky and Liz

Sharon, Khun Ton and Khun Sudjai

Lhen Lhen
    Donate to us

PayPal тАУ The safer, easier way to pay online.

Recent Updates
    Report on Visit to Pattaya December 2015 тАУ January 2016
    December 2014 тАУ January 2015 visit to Pattaya
    Life Saving Surgery For A Child
    Baan Ton Rak Project
    Visit to the Baan Khong Por ChildrenтАЩs Home, Pattaya April тАУ May 2013
    It works тАж it really does
    Visit to Pattaya
    2013 New Year Party
    Special birthday show
    Two weeksтАЩ visit
    Visit report by American sponsor
    A тАШmoment of clarityтАЩ
    A child needing surgery
    Sponsorship
    How to sponsor
    Scholarship project information
    Kids needing sponsors
    Sponsorship costs
    YouTube Videos
    Homes and supported areas
    The Hauy Phong ChildrensтАЩ Home
    Lockers for Huay Pong
    TVтАЩs & DVD Players for the kids at the Hauy Phong
    Hauy Phong Awards 2010
    New Beds for the Kids
    Baan Ton Rak Project
    Contact Us
    Thanks
    Brian Eames
    Ray Cornell
    R.I.P. Richard
    Useful links
    Site designed and maintained by Rainbow Website Design
    The entire contents of this website are the copyright of Pattaya Street Kids' Support Project and may not be reproduced
    in whole or in part without the written consent of the Charity's Trustees
    ┬й2016 - Pattaya Street Kids

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Alternative to gay bar chat.Pattaya street kids report

This would be a rather strange thread if the word "chat" was removed from the title. @-)
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    The entire contents of this website are the copyright of Pattaya Street Kids' Support Project and may not be reproduced
    in whole or in part without the written consent of the Charity's Trustees
    ┬й2016 - Pattaya Street Kids
    ....Or.....nevermind...LOL.

Surfcrest

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Well as they're happy enough ( I assume) for donation pleas to be made here I'm guessing they'll be happy enough for results of the fruits of those donations to be witnessed by the readership, it's as well Neal's gone or he'd be on to them INSISTING they must sue immediately :-)

Liked

whilst I don't deny that these charities are doing great work... I often wonder about the oft mentioned "slums" of Pattaya...

There are no "slums" in Pattaya... Pattaya is not Calcutta or Soweto, sure it has some run down areas and some places bordering on shanty towns... But its very "News-of-the-world" reporting to call these slums!

Lets face it the shacks that some of the people live in in Pattaya are a hell of a lot better than they would be if they were still in Issan... yes its not perfect for children to be brought up in these places... but they are with loving families and probably better off than most western children in terms of family support and love...
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Sure looks like slums to me. Loving families and better off than most western children? Sounds like wishful thinking.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Sure looks like slums to me. Loving families and better off than most western children? Sounds like wishful thinking.
    which slums and where?
    All I can see in the reports is smiling kids and doctors?

Liked

One Sunday we accompanied Sharon, Khun Ton and тАШLekтАЩ on a monthly food delivery to students in various slums. We admit we were was surprised at how time consuming it is to do the deliveries, on the day despite an early morning start to beat the traffic we were able to do ten food deliveries and that took us six hours. Most of the slums are well away from the main city area and many are located off unnamed tracks which themselves are off unnamed tracks found off unnamed roads. The horrendous traffic problems that Pattaya has add to the time taken to complete the visits.
    3 hours out from Pattaya gets you to the border of Cambodia at Poipet - even with heavy traffic

Again I am not trying to belittle or demean the great work that these charities and NGOs do... but I really hate this "spin" that the owner of the blog puts on his story
    If these so called slums are that far out of the city - then they become "villages" - welcome to the real world of life in a 3rd wold country

As I have stated before, their work is highly commendable... but I wish they would stop trying to proclaim that these are Pattaya's slums.... this is life in a 3rd world country... yes its far from perfect... but I hate this NGO "spin"... Slum Is a very derogatory term to call these peoples homes...

Liked

I see what I see by riding around some of the back sois in Pattaya. Slums to me, loving homes to you.

I suppose we see what we want to see, hear what we want to hear and believe what we want to believe.

Liked

I have to somewhat agree to colmx. Even in the small, delapated Issan villages, everyone is fine. It's probably not the best upbringing, but nobody is going hungry either. It's not like there's a bunch of children dieing of starvation, or anything. Every kid in an Issan village probably knows 30 adults they can go to who are willing to feed them for free. Hence one of the most standard Thai greetings, "gin khao le yang?" (did you eat already?). Nobody goes hungry here.

Not saying it's a glorious upbringing, and you probably have to do things like wear clothes a little past their due date, and things of that nature. However, for all intents and purposes, they're fine. If anything, education is what needs to be concentrated on. Thanks to Thaksin, they all have medical care now as well, so just need to get education up to speed, and should be good to go.

I'm sure the food is appreciated, but it's not necessary either. It's probably more of a, "hey I didn't ask for it, but if you want to give me free shit, sounds good!".