Ok so I know it's been discussed on the board(s) many times but having just checked into my usual hotel in Pattaya and witnessing a site that chilled me I thought I'd take a second just to remind us all why hotel room safes are only for your wallet and phone perhaps overnight whilst someone is sharing your room with you and not much more !

So on going through the usual "my safe won't work" - "oh you put in wrong code" ( I didn't, we have this same conversation EVERY TIME I stay here) the staff member then pulled out a piece of paper with the hotel MASTER CODE for every safe in the building I presume, I'll not say much more except if you think of someone using password as the password for their computer that would way above the security level of thinking that has been utilised here ! :-(

It was bad enough that he typed the master code in right in front of me but when I mentally noted it I dispaired !

So,If "I" so easily witnessed this "high security all access" master code in use you can bet that every cleaner and staff member and their friends within two block radius also know it too !

i should point out that I've absolutely no issues with the staff here at all and I'm sure the same lackness of security goes on in lost hotels around the world and I always assume anyway that staff in every hotel can open their own safes, perhaps thought I had hoped that such code information might be something that hotel management might want to keep to themselves and keep secure and maybe change every now and then - it seems not !!

So, just a timely reminder to us all perhaps that rooms safes should be for nothing of any real value and should only be used for keeping an overnight guest from the idea of even thinking about bothering rummaging around through your case while you're in the shower as he noticed you blatantly putting your stuff away as you got back into you room together anyway.