Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you use Grindr?

Liked

How do you use Grindr?

I figured it anyone knew how to use Grindr, it would be my fellow gay Thailand sex-pats / sex-tourists. Ohhh... I mean "desperados". I think that's the term we're using now, right?

Anyway, just bought my first tablet today, a Samsung Galaxy Note, or something or another. Considering I develop software for a living, you'd think I'd know how to use one of these things, but in all honesty, I don't have the slightest idea. I did get Grindr installed, and it seems to have picked up my location fine, but it's giving me people in places like Cambodia, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, etc. I want people in my city (or neighborhood would be even better), not people in the next country over.

Can't seem to find any settings to change this. What am I doing wrong?

Bonus Question: Anyone know how to get the Thai alphabet going on this thing? I only seem to be able to bring up the English keyboard.

Liked

Re: How do you use Grindr?

Are you trolling (again, or since you started?)? I have to admit I believed your stories for years, but that fake BBQ invitation some years ago openend my eyes.

Grindr gives profiles sorted by distance, closest first. It gets location from googlemaps, which gets it from GPS or WiFi.

Text input is something completely different, via a keyboard app. As you change languages e.g. for writing a text message, you change language for writing on Grindr.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc
    Are you trolling (again, or since you started?)? I have to admit I believed your stories for years, but that fake BBQ invitation some years ago openend my eyes.
    There are others who have also been hoodwinked by Matt. Showed up for a rendezvous and no Matt and a fake cell number.

Liked

wel in case Matt is real...
    Sounds like you have a fake device with a crappy chinese mediatek procesor...
    The mediatek GPS is brutal and makes your location drift by sometimes 100's of miles
    Bring your device back for a refund!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

No, I'm actual real. If you don't believe me, Surfcrest has my permission to verify my IP, and post the results. It's not a proxy -- it's a residential IP assigned by 3BB. Location generally says Khon Kaen, but sometimes will say either Bangkok or Udon Thani.

Liked

Yes cdnmatt is indeed a real user name posting from a real IP address. I'm not so sure that is the question being asked of cdnmatt in this post by a few members, but I confirm what he's asked of me.

I thought that Matt had posted that he had moved from KK to Uruguay? I'm quite happy to see him back.

Surfcrest

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    I thought that Matt had posted that he had moved from KK to Uruguay?
    That's still the plan, but I don't know, scared I guess. Here, I know the language, culture, society, and my way around. Plus it's cheap to live. Regardless of where in the world I am, I'm stuck behind the computer typing code. Here, I'm working away watching my savings grow quite nicely. Uruguay isn't going to be like that, and I'll be in for a ~400% increase in living costs. That, and packing two 30kg dogs 12,000kms across the globe is easier said than done. But yes, Uruguay is still the plan... whenever I get to it.

francois, my apologies. I remember that though. Back then, we were piss poor, living out of a hotel room, and literally going through the change jar to see if we could afford an extra few days. I didn't even have the money to go out for diinner or some beers, hence you got ignored.

christian, back then I was stuck between a rock and a hard place in life. Although we've never even met, you're probably the most judgemental person I've ever encountered in my life, and at the time, that was the last thing I needed, hence you got ignored as well.

Nowadays though, you guys are more than welcome to visit if wanted. Can't really bring any giks here though, as I don't need the neighbours seeing that. Nonetheless, Kim has been out of my life for over a year, have a nice comfortable house, money is good, etc. Master bedroom with en-suite bathroom is all yours, as I sleep in the spare room. It's smaller, so cheaper for A/C. Please note though, there's no A/C allowed in the main living areas, as the doors stay open for the dogs all day, plus the windows are always open as I smoke inside. You can have A/C in your bedroom, but not the main living areas.

Liked

You think people you don't know, or 'know' only through a message board are expecting to crash in your second bedroom? What a crock.

A few drinks, conversation, and perhaps a meal together in Khon Khaen is probably all anyone in their right mind would, or should, expect when hooking up with a perfect stranger.
    Along with Francois and Christian I am also aware of at least one more person from a board who was treated in the same way (including the fake phone number) . . . and he actually went to KK and ended up with silence from you: no contact.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    . . . Please note though, there's no A/C allowed in the main living areas, as the doors stay open for the dogs all day, plus the windows are always open as I smoke inside . . .
    Crikey cdnmatt! You donтАЩt exactly paint an appealing picture of Chez Matt. One that would entice members away from the sex hot spots of Pattaya and Bangkok and have us journey up to the gay desert that is Khon Kaen. At the very least IтАЩd be looking for some creature comforts.

But, by the looks of things and by your own account, your house stinks of cigarette smoke and dogs. It is unbearably hot because thereтАЩs no air-con. And, to make matters worse, your doors and windows are open 24/7, which means sharing with all sorts of creepy crawlies like, mosquitoes, geckos, spiders, dragonflies, scorpions, cockroaches and perhaps even snakes! The only creatures missing are the herds of wildebeests I quoted on the Hotel for Songkran in Silom thread. Although, I think I recall you mentioning you once had a mad cow in your garden, or was that one of your neighbours?

No, if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods, IтАЩd rather book myself into one of the local hotels. I prefer a smoke, dog, cat and bug free room with air-con. But I would certainly send you a PM to let you know where you can drop in and meet me. I promise not to be the least bit judgmental!

Hope you can take a joke cdnmatt? No offence was intended in the writing of this post.

=))
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Forum's veteran
    Liked

While it's bad form to give out fake tel.#, I have told several Farangs over the years that
    I didn't have a tel #, forgot it or other bs to avoid obnoxious or desperately lonely farangs.
    The most recent was very depressed and bemoaning the fact that he had no one to talk to,
    was very lonely after living in Pattaya for years and needed someone to pour out all his
    angst to. My warning sirens were deafening and I told him some lie and escaped.
    Another, was obsessed with posters on this forum and once he knew my handle here pursued me relentlessly. The fact that he was a toothless, chain smoking bar fly and
    chicken hawk made him a leper. He hated me when I told him what I thought of him.
    There are several others who are still active here who are certifable, needy, neurotic
    men with many issues. One was drooling over my Thai bf and trying to hit on him.
    Some friend.
    Some farangs just don't get it. I've warned about bar flies, con men who are instantly
    your best friend and need a loan, world class obnoxious bores who think their school days
    are an interesting topic or want to show you pictures of their wives and children.
    If I were Matt, I'd avoid pushy persistent, inquisitive farangs from forums.
    And slightly catty, I'm sure christian was looking for free room and free food. Nothing wrong with that but Matt was struggling and didn't need a freeloader to house.
    Sometimes a wrong tel. # is a hint telling you to fuck off.