I am talking to my friend in Pattaya about visiting Phuket with him on my next Thai holiday in March and I am looking for advise on suitable hotels.

I have previously stayed at Club one seven - I would consider it again but the rooms are pretty small and I think their "Grand Deluxe" rooms literally open straight on to the small pool with no sort of terrace area. I have also stayed at Aquarius Guesthouse, their so called Suites are OK, but no balcony and whilst it has the small roof terrace the small indoor pool is a bit limited.

I am ideally looking for somewhere reasonably comfortable, must have a gym (for my friend not me!) and preferable an out door pool, ideally in the Patong area. My main concern is that whilst I will hopefully be with my friend most of the time, if I did have any other joiner I don't want to incur extra fees and embarrassment and also want somewhere that is reasonably gay friendly - rather than full of families and kids who might find it a bit odd a 50 year old with a young Thai guy!

Any advise or suggestions would be really appreciated?