Years ago my favourite bar in Pattaya was Wild West Boys. I knew it from before it moved to its present position. When it moved I became friends with several of the boys and am still in touch with one of them today.

I used to enjoy the show and have good memories of a S&M routine they used to do with an unsuspecting member of the audience getting roped in (literaly). If they didn't have a volunteer from the audience they always had someone planted to use instead. They had a variety of other acts with a little bit of erotic stuff occasionally.

But it must be four years since I last visited. However, one day over the Christmas period my Thai boy friend was not around one evening so I went to Wild West Boys for the 11.00 show. At 10.55 there were three of us which wasn't a good sign and only one more customer came just in time for the show.

It was a lip sync drag act which I've never understood the appeal of. The performers looked bored and I certainly was.

The bar itself has less room for seating than when I previously visited with one side now blocked off.

The Go Go Boys themselves were a poor looking bunch.

It was disappointing to see how much the bar had declined since I used to be a regular visitor.

The only other show I saw was the X-Boys "Sexy Boy Show" which is the first real sex show I've seen anywhere in Thailand for years. The finale act ended up with two naked boys, one impaled on the other's erection, performing on customer's laps with tips being stuffed in the mouth of the passive one (the only other place they could have been stuffed was very obviously already full).

Drinks prices at both bars were higher than I'm used to but I don't tend to visit bars these days so have nothing to compare with. I just teated them as the price of seeing a show as I'm unlikely to return.

As a one off visit X-Boys was novel and I enjoyed it but Wild West Boys just left me feeling sad.