I'm considering relocating to Thailand for a number of reasons.

This forum (and much of the ex-pat community) seems to be dominated by British transplants. I'm an American.

I'm not necessarily looking to live in Bangkok or any other tourist hub. I say this only because I don't share a lot of the expectations some would have... because of my work I'm used to heat and mosquitos and mud and all the sticky, icky things that might keep a tourist in a white, air-conditioned plaster room. In fact, I'd very much like to get away from that sort of comfortable existence and be as far away from the urban jungle as possible without being fluent in Thai (though I'm willing to learn).

Physically, I'm mixed race but lighter skinned. I'm young, not muscular but in shape and healthy. I'm flexible as to work but I have a science background.

I have some general questions but additional advice is welcome.

1) What is the dating scene like, in and outside of the big cities?

2) What are Thai men (gay, lady boys, whatever) usually attracted to, generally?

3) Which cities/neighborhoods are the English-speaking expat communities located in?

4) Is homosexuality a difficulty outside of the biggest cities?

5) What is the level of English comprehension among Thais?

Thanks! I have more than a year before I could move but I like to plan things out early.