FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7 things I love about Thailand, just returned

Liked

7 things I love about Thailand, just returned

cut and paste from gaytravel

http://www.gaytravel.com/blog/entry/dav ... 6_s_c1.jpg
    [attachment=0:ocz4o6wq]tiger_580_386_s_c1.jpg[/attachment:ocz4o6wq]

I just got back from my first trip to ThailandтАФand, the truth is, thereтАЩs so much to love about the so-called тАЬLand of Smiles.тАЭ Though I could go on for days, IтАЩve narrowed this list down to my top seven favorite things about the country:

1. Gay friendly. Because Thailand is so steeped in tradition and old-world culture, I was surprised to learn that the Thai peopleтАФby and largeтАФare extremely gay-friendly. Most Thai people are Buddhists and Buddha didnтАЩt have much to say about homosexuality. Buddhism is about the pursuit of truthтАФand so being gay is really irrelevant to the religion. Moreover, the virtue of non-judgment is highly regarded. All in all, it makes for a very gay-friendly environment.

2. Delicious food. No surprise here, but Thai food is delicious. The food is also unprocessed, whole and extremely spicy. One waiter explained to me that when Westerners ask for spicy food, itтАЩs the Thai equivalent of mild. In other words, the dishes are prepared differently if a Westerner is ordering it. The flavors are truly extraordinary and, in and of itself, worth the long flight.

3. Friendly people. They donтАЩt call Thailand the Land of Smiles for nothing. Thai people are beautifully friendlyтАФand they donтАЩt seem to hold grudges against Westerners. Moreover, hospitality in Thailand is in a league of its own. Upon arriving to most hotels, youтАЩll find staff eager to wash your hands and give you a cold beverage.

4. Elephants. Where else in the world can you ride elephants? During our stay at The Four Seasons Tented Camp, we embarked on an elephant excursion through the jungleтАФand rode the elephants without so much as a saddle. We even got to help bath the elephants in a nearby river. Being up close and personal which such huge (and yet gentle) creatures was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

5. Affordable. If you have Champagne taste but a beer budget, then Thailand is the destination for you. Many of the classy hotels in downtown Bangkok are less than $200 a night. Meals are a fraction of the price theyтАЩd cost in the Western world and transportation is a steal. Even touristy markets and gift boutiques are well pricedтАФbut you have to barter with the merchants. Though it was priced at 3,000 baht (or about $100), I was able to purchase a bronze bowl for a sixth of the price.

6. English. For better or worse, many Thai peopleтАФespecially those in the shops, restaurants and hotelsтАФspeak English. Though I anticipated a language barrier, the truth is that it was incredibly easy to communicate with almost everyone. It wasnтАЩt scary in the least bit and even the signage is translated to English.

7. Lady boys. In Thailand, transvestites are affectionately referred to as lady boysтАФand I canтАЩt make a list of Thailand favorites without including them. Unlike drag queens, lady boys generally have had some surgeryтАФand itтАЩs almost impossible to distinguish a lady boy from a biological woman. Thailand has a number of famous lady boy performers and a great selection of shows in which these lady boys are featured.

Thailand is an incredible place to visitтАФand this list doesnтАЩt even begin to scratch the surface of what Thailand has to offer. If youтАЩve been to Thailand, share some of your favorites in the comments below!

Davey

Read more about my trip in the Davey Wavey Travel Blog

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: 7 things I love about Thailand

Your first trip to Thailand!!!!

How long did you stay there, or are you just joking??

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: 7 things I love about Thailand, just returned

aaaah! how lovely all those times the fresh newbies and their shattered prejudice. It is an exerpt from some blog, my dear.

Liked

Well pong the link at the top of the post stated that. What is wrong with posting a new boys vision of Thailand.

Do they have to be the senile crap that some people post here day in and day out

Your postings seem to have a lot crap. not everybody lives works in LOS. Not everybody has that attitude that seems to come from every post you make.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    ...Not everybody has that attitude that seems to come from every post you make.
    Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall......

im still trying to work out the point of this post !!
    its a newbies one eyed guide to thailand .. everything is rosey in his garden for sure ..
    lets see if hes still as positive in a few years time ..
    all in all a pretty pointless read .. then again it was a wombat post .. so to be expected ..

Liked

Look its holiday time - so we have be nice to each other (according to DaBoss )

Lwombat was just showing something that somebody wrote after his initial visit to Thailand -- a newbies perspective --

Im sure we can all relate to some of the 7 things the gent mentioned ????
    Even the most cynical of us ????

Most of us writing on SGF keep coming back to TH for something (surely it cant ALL be about cheap ass )

For me personally one of the things (apart from cheap ass :laughing3: ) i like about Th is that there still seems to be a sense of respect / family values etc present in everyday life --
    Something that is sorely lacking in our western worlds

Liked

cheap ass, martin? you're sounding like latintop now :occasion9:

the ass I've found hasn't been that cheap (but worth every baht)
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by brithai
    Check out Davey Wavey's sugar coated Travel Blog for more of his thrilling adventures in Thailand and elsewhere.

http://www.gaytravel.com/blog/in/davey- ... ravel-blog

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by brithai
    its a newbies one eyed guide to thailand .. everything is rosey in his garden for sure ..
    lets see if hes still as positive in a few years time ..
    all in all a pretty pointless read .. then again it was a wombat post .. so to be expected ..
    Why should a first time visitor get such a hard and bitter response, simply he has made his first trip, He looks for more in Thailand than just boozing in squalid bars, even if he is first time gay visitor.

Most of your posts are pointless, why should another not make a little more sense than yours. I think it is a big improvement.