Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow,Cheers Hotel Sihanoukville great looking hotel

Liked

Wow,Cheers Hotel Sihanoukville great looking hotel

Cheers hotel has not really appealed to me in the past but I had a link to their website with the subject WOW'

Have to agree...Cut and paste from their website

Our bar is 15 metres long with 17 hand made custom stools, by far the biggest in Sihanoukville. We have seating for over 60 at the moment & standing room for over 200, surrounded by palm trees & gardens the bar is located behind the Hotel so it is very private, the bar is tastefully lit by led lights & we have a music collection of over 70,000 songs & music video's to suite every taste, the bar is made from marble & blue glass shelves, we have a wide choice of drinks, the best food in town & freshly made coffee from our automatic Italian coffee machine which makes each cup freshly from coffee beans, hope to see you all soon.

my friend is considering the helicopter ride from Phnom Penh airport Wow

http://www.cheers-cambodia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Wow,Cheers Hotel Sihanoukville great looking hotel

What is there to "WOW" about?

I get that they're making progress, the overall quality of accommodation options in Sihanoukville is poor and their pool is, well... better than nothing. But there's really nothing to "WOW" about with the info you've provided. It looks like a fairly low-budget guesthouse with poor design and an attempt at some nice facilities like the pool etc.

I notice their restaurant food and drink prices are around 50% more expensive than what you find in most mid-market hotels and restaurants in Siem Reap. Cocktails and wines which are $2.50 in Siem Reap become $3.50 at this place. Not that this is significant, as we're only talking about a few dollars but still... it's the principle of it.

Out of curiosity, what are they charging for the helicopter transit? If it's $5k, forget it. But if it's $1,000 or less and you get avoid hours of shitty roads and shitty driver it might be worth publishing.

Liked

After post after post of how much you can spend when in 5 star hotels, your comment of high prices for food seemed so [ beachloverish] The rooms much bigger than expected were about $30US 1000baht

Here is a link to the menu page. It is in US$ and I dont think it unreasonable or overpriced, in fact it is another plus for the place.
    http://www.cheers-cambodia.com/includes/fab.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The question mark is local boys but the there is a gay bar at the rear of the hotel owned by Cheers and whilst not "Venue or Copa" to quote my friend ,the shows were entertaining more dance than lip sync. There are freelancers, good eye candy on the staff and it is more laid back that Pattaya. My friend met several boys through gayromeo.

The taxi trip was the only option at the time but next trip he will investigate the plane and train and check the buses again. Anyone with travel info please add detail.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Hi,
    Just on that transport question the only options from Phnom Penh are bus or taxi. The best bus used to be Mekong Express but they stopped last year, so now you have three companies, Paramount, Capitol and Soriya. Paramount are pretty awful, Capitol a bit better and Soriya the best bus option, trip is 4-5 hours but breakdowns are not uncommon. A private taxi takes 3-4 hours, costs $45-50 and is probably the better option.
    If you happened to be in Siem Reap doing a bit of temple visiting and wanted to head to the coast then there is a new flight to SOK with Cambodian Angkor Air, runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 14.10, flight time just over an hour and cost is approx $117 one way. Only fly in the ointment is you can't book online.
    No passenger trains in Cambodia right now.
    cheers

Liked

Paulo15 thanks for that post ,I really appreciate it.

If I was going Bangkok to Bangkok via SR or PP and Sihanoukville, how would you organize travel. In what order. Cost is not a factor.

Comfort is a consideration.

your reply was very welcome

Liked

Hi,

I think I would do Bangkok to Siem Reap, overland if you want to save cash or Bangkok Airways direct, then fly Siem Reap to SOK, then hire a taxi back to Phnom Penh (or bus) and then fly back to Bangkok from there, Air Asia cheapest, but also also Thai or Bangkok Airways on that route. You can sometimes score a very cheap ticket on the Air France flight back to Bangkok too but you'd have to buy that locally.

I think that's the most 'time effective' way to do those places but there are other options, just you don't do any doubling back with the above

Cheers

Liked

I thought I remembered a ferry that went from Thailand to Sihanoukville. Anyone know about this?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Guys, about the flights...

I went in 2010 so this info may be out of date.

- The only airline allowed to fly between BKK and Siam Reap was Bangkok Airways. They were quite expensive.

- Between Phnom Penh and Bangkok you can fly AirAsia (around 2,000 baht) or Bangkok Airways where I paid USD$100

- Between Bangkok and Phnom Penh you can fly AirAsia and Bangkok Airways. AirAsia was around 2,000 baht and for Bangkok Airways, I paid 4000-4,500 baht/USD$100 (no choice as I missed my AirAsia flight).

- Between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh you can fly Cambodian Angkor Air, a relatively new airline joint venture between the Cambodian government and Vietnam Airlines. I think I paid USD$100 for this which was fairly expensive for a 30-min flight. Are these guys still operating? I recall the booking had to be made on the Vietnam Airlines website online booking system. There are other options for traveling between these two cities. Most people don't fly. But it is very convenient because with flying you can be going from hotel door to door within two hours including waiting and transit time!

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Here is a link to the menu page. It is in US$ and I dont think it unreasonable or overpriced, in fact it is another plus for the place.
    Hmmm... first thing I notice is the food menu only has Western food. Not a single Cambodian dish, which is poor taste and quite disappointing. Not even the basics like Amok and Beef Lok Lak are there.

Every restaurant I came across in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, even the ones serving Western food, had Cambodian dishes.

I can say for sure the drink prices aren't competitive... I spent two weeks in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and recall drink prices in all kinds of places from boutique cocktail bars to mid-market hotels, mid-market restaurants, high-end bar lounges and cheap backpacker joints.

- House wine in most joints is around $2.50 ($3.50 at Cheers).
    - Beer is under $1 ($1.75 at Cheers).
    - Cocktails are $2.50 to $4 at most ($4.50 to $5 at Cheers).

Why is Cheers 50% more expensive than most other tourist-oriented bars? Is there something special about the bar? Is it because of the moneyboys and show they offer? Linga Bar and Blue Chilli had one or both and their drink prices weren't higher. :dontknow:

Don't get me wrong... I'd love to see more hotels and resorts in this little town and would love to see this place do well. But just don't see what there is to "wow" about this place. There are nicer and better-equipped hotels and resorts in Sihanoukville at this and higher price range.

Quote Originally Posted by paulo15
    Just on that transport question the only options from Phnom Penh are bus or taxi. The best bus used to be Mekong Express but they stopped last year, so now you have three companies, Paramount, Capitol and Soriya. Paramount are pretty awful, Capitol a bit better and Soriya the best bus option, trip is 4-5 hours but breakdowns are not uncommon. A private taxi takes 3-4 hours, costs $45-50 and is probably the better option.
    I was planning to grab a taxi from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville. A Cambodian in another country was worried when I told her this and advised I should get a reputable bus. She said taxis can be dangerous there. Anyone know what she's talking about? Do taxis often rob people? Do they drive more dangerously? Anyone advise against getting your own taxi?

Liked

Hi Beachlover,

Sorry can't work out how to quote you, but just my opinion on your last question.

Cambodian roads are dangerous, some taxis drive at ridiculous speeds and couple that with the odd wandering animal, errant moto riders, etc it can be a dangerous mix. The thinking is that the bigger the vehicle you're in, the safer you are because big wins, small loses. Of course the endless loud kayoke music on the bus might drive you to suicide first, but that's by the by. Tbh, I think taxis are fine as long as; a) you don't drive at night and b) the guy doesn't look or smell drunk. I heard from someone whose minivan driver drifted off to sleep at the wheel, veered across the carriageway and into a tree at 60mph a few weeks ago on the way back from SHV. They survived btw, but...

On the flights, Bangkok Airways also fly the BKK-PNH route, they still have that expensive monopoly on the BKK-REP route. Air France do a flight from Phnom Penh to Paris via Bangkok, you can sometimes score seats on the PNH-BKK leg as it's usually empty and this can be even cheaper than Air Asia. CAA are still going and fly REP-PNH and vv and have just added REP-SOK and vv. You can't book these on the Vietnam airlines web site any more and CAA aren't taking online bookings on theirs yet, but they promise that from 14th Feb you will be able to book these flights online with them.

Cheers

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose
    I thought I remembered a ferry that went from Thailand to Sihanoukville. Anyone know about this?
    Meant to say in the last post. The ferry use to be called the 'bullet boat' and went from SHV to Koh Kong where you crossed the border into Thailand by land. But once they completed route 48 to Koh Kong the boat didn't make any sense so it stopped running. Back in 2007 I think.

Cheers