Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pullman Bangkok Hotel G / Hotel for Songkran in Bkk

Liked

Pullman Bangkok Hotel G / Hotel for Songkran in Bkk

Hi All
    Has anyone stayed in the Pullman Bangkok Hotel G yet?

It was previously known as the Sofitel Silom but has now reopened after refurbishment

Basically i am looking for a place to stay in Silom on the Night of April 13th
    As that will be at the height of Songkran... accomodation is at premium
    All the usual suspects Rose/tarntawan/Glitz etc are sold out

And we don't want to stay in the Sathorn area (Ibis/Malaysia/Pinnacle) want to be right in the middle of silom and not have to bother wth Taxis etc
    On the map it looks like the pullman is easy walking distance to Silom soi 2/4?

The nightly rate there at the moment is 2500B

The Dusit Thani is also available on the same date from wotif at a very reasonable 2500B per night... but i am an accor Platinum member so would prefer to stay at the pullman and claim my complimentary room upgrade and 4PM late checkout!

Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Re: Pullman Bangkok Hotel G / Hotel for Songkran in Bkk

The rooms are small. Even exec. room only has 34m┬▓. The Suite is ok and the beds are great. When Pullman i would prefer Pullman King Power, I also have Accor Platinum and Hilton Gold. I mostly like Sofitel Suk. more.
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I've stayed at both, though it's been a couple of years since the last stay as I don't stay in Silom anymore.

Dusit Thani has a wonderful location and views but is so old and in bad need of a refit. Rooms are comfortable enough but quite old and tired.

Dusit for 2,500 baht/night is a fairly normal price so don't get excited. The thing to be aware of is for 2,500 you're probably getting their Superior Room, which (unless they've renovated recently) is pretty crap, located on lower levels with old fittings and with poor natural light.

Minimum type of room you should stay in the Dusit Thani is their Deluxe Room, which usually starts from 3,000/night. Ask for a room overlooking Lumpini Park. This way, although the decor is old and tired... you'll have an awesome view of the Bangkok skyline. Share a kiss with your special guy on the balcony.

I stayed in the Pullman when it used to be the Sofitel... Have only ever stayed in their Club Rooms so can't compare with non-club rooms but they were big enough for me, not squashed at all. Don't know what it's like now that it's been refurbished into the Pullman though. There's nothing nice in the immediate surroundings and it's not walking distance to anything but there's a skytrain station a 3-4 mins' walk away.

Liked

Have you tried Saladaeng Colonnade. Great rooms and 3 minute walk to the action on Silom?

Or if that is full Holiday Inn Silom has rooms even cheaper ($66 US) and only 2 or 3 minute walk further to Patpong.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I stayed at the remodeled Pullman in Silom and liked it. The rooms were all "new" and the lobby and such was certainly up to modern standards. I wish the fitness area was better, but that is the norm with many hotels. I'd stay there instead of a stuffy Dusit. Try Crown Plaza, it is around the corner from DJ station.

Liked

Thanks for your input guys
    Looks like the Dusit rooms are now sold out on Wotif

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    There's nothing nice in the immediate surroundings and it's not walking distance to anything but there's a skytrain station a 3-4 mins' walk away.
    From looking at the map the pullman looks pretty short walking distance to Silom Soi 6/4/2 and Patpong?
    Or is it a fair hike (BF will NOT walk long distances!)

Quote Originally Posted by firecat69
    Have you tried Saladaeng Colonnade. Great rooms and 3 minute walk to the action on Silom?

Or if that is full Holiday Inn Silom has rooms even cheaper ($66 US) and only 2 or 3 minute walk further to Patpong.
    The colonnade is sold out on my date too
    Where did you see the Holiday Inn Silom @66USD... Cheapest i can see it at is тВм66... which is only тВм2 cheaper than the pullman...

BF nearly had a heart attack when he heard i was contemplating 2500B on a hotel room in Bkk... his room is only 3000B per month and is 20 mins in taxi from Silom
    So it might be that i have to aim my price sights lower!

Anybody got any suggestions around the 1000-1400 mark?

Liked

Holiday Inn price was on Agoda and is still good!

Liked

Agoda tack on $12 in fees and taxes on the second page... so the actual rate is 76USD/60EUR

The pullman is 68EUR on ebookers... I am presuming its a better hotel than the HI?
    Plus the HI seems to be double the distance away from Soi 4/2?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx
    Anybody got any suggestions around the 1000-1400 mark?
    I was looking for a change from my usual Bkk hotels for my june visit and was checking out Baan Saladaeng, Soi Saladaeng, right across from Soi 2 near Sala Daeng BTS,a couple of minutes walk along Soi Saladaeng to top end of silom. They display all of their 11 rooms types booking calendar and there was only one 40 sq m 'suite' (read: large room) at Bt1799 showing for the 13th Apr. it has pretentions of being classed as 'boutique' but its just themed style rooms of a decent size with balcony.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx
    From looking at the map the pullman looks pretty short walking distance to Silom Soi 6/4/2 and Patpong?
    Or is it a fair hike (BF will NOT walk long distances!)
    Well, I recall it was a 15 min walk to get to DJ Station, plus dodging all the street vendors... At this time of the year you're going to want to walk slowly or arrive soaked in sweat. For that distance, it's just easier to jump in an air conditioned cab.

The other place to consider is Le Meridien which starts around 3,000-3,500 and has really nice rooms and a nice little outdoor pool area and gym.

What I found in Bangkok is it's worth lifting your budget to above 3,000 because there's a big leap in quality that you get in hotels... it gets you into the minimum standard 5-star hotels.

If your budget is around 2,000 then to be honest, there are lots and lots of mid-market boutique hotels around Silom, which are quite good and I would look at those. Have a browse around on the Agoda Silom map for them. The mid-level hotel market is so competitive around there.