Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Great little coffee-making machine now available in Thailand

Liked

Great little coffee-making machine now available in Thailand

Not being in any way a coffee connoisseur, I've always made do with so-so coffee at home, most recently using a cheap cafetiere. Then over Christmas I saw an ad in the Bangkok Post for the Lavazza A Modo Mio coffee machine, which belongs to the new generation of machines using only vacuum-packed espresso capsules. It looked all shiny and retro-stylish; its merits were listed in loving detail. Before I knew it I had fallen into a swoon of consumer longing. A bit of internet research revealed that most users seem to be very impressed with it. I could resist no longer. I decided that it was time to raise my profile in the coffee-drinking world by treating myself to one. Glad I did.

It is simplicity itself to operate; even a technodunce like myself was able to master its uncluttered controls in about half an hour. Cleaning it is just a matter of pulling out a tray every few days and removing used capsules and overflow liquid. The coffee is the main thing, of course, and it is excellent, as good as you would get in a high-class restaurant. It's full-bodied, balanced, aromatic and has a lingering velvety crema - Lavazza don't dominate the Italian market without good reason. There are currently seven blends available, colour-coded and with names like divinamente, intensamente and appasionatamente (how like the Italians, as a friend noted, to make coffee drinking sound like a night with one's favourite boy). One of the blends is decaffeinated and also tastes very good. The machine has a steam arm, so cappuccinos, lattes and many other kinds of coffee can be produced almost as simply as the espresso.

As far as I know, the machine is currently only available in Thailand from Great Earth International on the second floor of the Alma Link building, next to the Chidlom Central Department store in Bangkok. Very friendly and helpful staff. I paid 12,900B for the machine (traditional ones with all the bells and whistles can cost 60,000B or more), which came with a 24-capsule sample pack. Once you've found the blend you like best, you can buy them in 16-capsule packs from the same company, but at a whopping 525B per pack or about 33B per cup of coffee. Paeng maak maak. If, however, you know a kindly soul who can bring you out a supply from your own country, the cost is likely to go down considerably. Bought in England, for instance, the capsules work out at about 12B each which, considering the excellence of the coffee and the ease of use of the machine, seems very reasonable to me.

My A Modo Mio machine ('extra' model) looks compact, feisty and bountiful sitting on my kitchen counter. I regularly pat it and mutter little endearments to it as I walk past, though I haven't yet considered snuggling up to it in bed. I couldn't be more delighted with it.

For more information: www.lavazzamodomio.com

[i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Great little coffee-making machine now available in Thai

Peter thanks for the great info! :bounce:

Liked

B12,900 baht for a coffee maker that takes 30 minutes to learn how to use? Guess I shouldn't mention how thrilled I am with my Red Cup instant coffee every morning? (Best laxative I've found yet!) Time to turn in my rainbow flag, I guess. I'll just be leaving quietly now...
    [size=7][color=#0000FF][i]"quiet1":[/i] the poster previously known as [i]"bkk gwm"[/i][/color][/size]

Liked

Central Chidlom has a Lavazza capsule model - perhaps not this one, they also have a range of Nespresso and illy capsule models which are somewhat more "stylish" than the Lavazza pictured here! and the Nespresso milk maker, didn't notice the Lavazza milk maker. They also have the capsules for all the machines.

Paragon and Emporium have the illy machines and capsules and a few other (unknown to me) brands of capsule machines and capsules as well

Even Boncafe now has a capsule machine and capsules - and the coffee is just what you would expect from them!

There is now also a web site offering Nespresso machines and a limited range of capsules - but I think it is pay on order and delivery in two weeks so ...

Like all imported coffee here the capsules are very expensive because of the import duties and they are currently only available at a very limited number outlets - I just wish Foodland would start stocking them - their prices for illy and Lavazza ground coffee are 20-30% cheaper than Central, Villa, Paragon, etc - though Paragon's price for Lavazza ese pods (the capsule pre-cursor) is OK

The obvious advantage of the capsules is the consistent quality of the result - something most people find difficult to achieve with most home espresso machines, but the illy and Lavazza ese pods come close and are cheaper and work in many home machines

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The Siam Kempinki Hotel in Bangkok has a Lavazza capsule coffee machine in each of their rooms... but I don't think it was this model because the casing was white plastic, not this stylish chrome finish. It was great for having my coffee while I'm still in bed seeing what e-mails came in overnight!

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1
    B12,900 baht for a coffee maker that takes 30 minutes to learn how to use?
    The model I used took about 10 seconds to learn how to use... although housekeeping took care of the cleaning/maintenance.

Instructions as I remember were written...

1. Fill the tank with "Kempinski water"
    2. Insert a capsule
    3. Put a cup underneath and hit the button...