Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: making Thailand a home

Liked

making Thailand a home

Okay Im going to ask this one as its the basis for my interest (so there).

How easy is it to set up home as a gay couple in Thailand?

Ideally we would love a detached home with a very big garden as my partner from Istanbul loves big doggies an keeping pigeons for the table and aesthetics (those curly white kind same as the dogs). He loves cooking and would like a herb garden and an outside shower.

You know you wouldn't believe how homophobic just down right bigoted so many forums for expats are. I still have tears in my eyes as I was kicked off hongkong.geoexpat three times for being gay. I would think this type of stuff is illegal but not obviously on expat forums where jut the word "partner" has them running around in circles trying to get you banned.

I know it not like that here but I've had a terrible time trying to decide where to go. Hong Kong, Bangkok or stay at home. And there are no gay expat forums dedicated as such.

I didn't want to pay a fortune for lifestyle so thought Thailand might be good option has anyone settled in the areas not quite suburbs of Bangkok but more like country areas beyond. Its just my BF cant even stay in a hotel room without a balcony before going completely round the twist, he needs access to soil air and water 24/7. He also wakes up singing and goes to bed singing luckily his voice is heavenly so its easy to live with but the neighbours well they have to be far away, just the piano alone will drive them insane.

Any suggestions to areas, I know traffic is meant to be the worst in the world and I keep telling the BF this might end up beng a deciding factor but its like farting into the wind.

Liked

Re: making Thailand a home

You may well get sensible answers to your questions here (although I wouldn't hold my breath). There is a gay sub-forum on Thaivisa.com that might be worth visiting.

Good luck.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Rob33
    I know it not like that here but I've had a terrible time trying to decide where to go. Hong Kong, Bangkok or stay at home. And there are no gay expat forums dedicated as such.
    Based on what you have had to say in this and your other posts, I think your best bet would be to stay at home.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Rob33,

It sounds like you and your partner from Istanbul would be happiest in South Cambodia. They offer a wonderful delta area with plenty of room for your partners big doggie to roam and herbs that grow natural with no need to plant a garden. You can have a detached home built for around $200 dollars including that balcony you've been dreaming about.

And by-the-way don't let those mosquito rumers derail your plans as that is just a big myth. Just dap a few drops of Channel no 5 on your partners cheeks and enjoy the lovely delta sunsets.

Good luck...and please keep in touch.

Liked

What a lovely post Doger! I feel at home in the Cambodia already :happy7:

Unfortunately my BF needs spraying with pesticide not Channel no5, come dusk he is so full of mud he needs to go through an industrial Car wash. You should see the mess, every where every time, outside shower is a must.

Problem is no one has offered me a job in the delightful sounding Cambodian delta region we would have to go feral ripping up raw roots to gnaw on just to survive. I hadn't thought about that as an idea but im sure the BF would be in his element. It worries me quite frankly. When ever I show him holiday brochures he just points to the jungle and says "there!", then stalks off with a dog close at his heels.

Thats nasty but he cant use a computer yet so thats OK. :evil4:

Yes he is my delight a delightful nature boy, I met him on the steppes.

Hong Kong is looking out of the question so far I haven't seen a garden bigger than three square meters, this side of China at least. Plenty of people with dogs though???

I just heard I would have to marry my BF off to a Thai woman to be able to buy a house with any land? :rolling: Surely not?

Liked

[It's pretty hard to answer your question without knowing what budget you are looking at and what standard of living you seek. There are guys I know who are living on $1000 US per month - but I could not imagine what it's like living such a spartan life style. There are others who find a way to fritter away 5 to 10 thousand dollars US per month - although I think they're nuts.

As where to live, it would also help to know what amenities you want to be around - restaurants, gay venues, sporting places, cultural opportunities, easy camaraderie with other farang, etc.

I think if you fill us in on the answers to these questions you might get more useful responses.

Liked

Thanks RichLB,

I would like to think I could survive on 1000$ but I couldn't unless I was forced to, it would be extreme.

I think our budget would cover choosing where ever we wanted. We are definately country or city nothing inbetween.

I think the real problem is how would the BF be able to stay?

Could he get dependancy visa as my partner, sorry if this has been around the block feel free to redirect me to older posts on this issue.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

space in HKG is at an utmost premioum and will cost millions of тВмтВмтВм-would be easy enough to think of ''van zelf al''=by yourself.
    I do not see many probs in Th -but you should have been more clear as to if this was build your own on a plot)problem is farang cannot legally ''own'' land in TH-but can own property)- but that should be more far away from BKK-big city-large space is also not much available there. Pattaya could very well do-and even more so in Isan or rural areas. Rents for such villa's are also a min of 500-1000тВм/month-depepnding on area and size/state of house. You can always put down walls or gazes with greens beside to keep out views from outside.
    Also DO check via TV what reules there are for Turks living long-time in TH- I think they also do not qualidfy for the 30-days exempt stays-that means tougher rulings.
    Next best- maybe INDOnesia? much more gossip there though.