I've been staying at the Mercure Hotel in Pattaya for a couple of weeks and for a lot of that time I've been joined by "M" a guy that I've "Offed". I've never had a problem at the Mercure either on this trip or previous ones. The security guys ignore M and there's no joiners fee.

Last night I was in the reception area with M when a middle aged farang looked at M and said in a very loud voice and in front of lots of tourists"f--king boys". Before I could ask him what his problem was he walked off still muttering "f--king boys". M and I continued to my room but M was really upset and wanted to know who the man was. He was worried he'd done something wrong and wouldn't be allowed back into the hotel. He thought the farang might even work there.

He was so upset that we went back down to reception where a girl on the desk apologised to me and said the man was just a guest. I said it wasn't me that deserved an apology and that no one should talk to M like that. We then had a word with the security guys who just laughed and said there was "no problem".

M cheered up a bit but was upset for the rest of the evening. He's 24 and like a lot of Thais looks younger but there's no way he looks underage and he shouldn't be sworn at like that in his own country.

I'm making sure now that he's not on his own around the hotel as he's nervous of meeting the unpleasant farang again. It's the only negative thing that's happened during my trip which has been one of the best I've had to Thailand in over twenty years of visits.

Ignore those who say Pattaya isn't what it was. Find the right guy and it's just as much fun as it ever was.