FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cost of living in bkk

Liked

cost of living in bkk

hi guys....
    i'm sure i've seen posts before on how much living expenses are in Bangkok
    but i can't find any recent threads.

i've visited for up to a month 5 times before, but have mostly been a tourist.
    i'm planning a 6 month stay starting in april. i have plenty of income and
    don't need to work in thailand. i'm just curious what your normal, real
    monthly expenses are in bkk. anyone have an itemized budget, minuse the
    boy bars, etc?

thanks.

Liked

Re: cost of living in bkk

Since your major expense will probably be an apartment, that can run a wide range from 20,000 per month to infinity. Depending on the size, electric can run you 3000-10000 per month. Not sure where you are from but supermarket expenses will average out to the same as I pay in USA. Some things such as cheese are considerably more expensive and fruits and vegetables way less.

I find going out to western food restaurants comparable to USA but Thai restaurants make going out much less expensive. Transportation by BTS or taxi is cheap and how much to budget for will depend on the location of your apartment versus where you like to spend time.

Bottom line is it is impossible to answer your question without more info.

If you want to PM me with more detailed questions , I will try yo help you and also can give you my monthly expenses for the last 4 months living here but again not sure the relevance it has to you.

Quote Originally Posted by firecat69
    Since your major expense will probably be an apartment, that can run a wide range from 20,000 per month to infinity.
    There are no places to live in Bangkok that are under 20K per month? Puhleeze.

Liked

Yeah, tough to answer your question, without an idea of what standard of living you think is acceptable. Your expenses can be 8000/month, and they can also be 500,000/month. Up to you.

I'd say the basics will cost you 20,000 - 30,000/month. That's nothing special, but will get you a small, clean place to stay, and food. Budget yourself for 60,000/month, and you should be fine, with more than enough money to go out and enjoy yourself when you want. Again, all depends on what you think an acceptable standard of living is. Do you need a nice 2 bdrm condo with hardwood floors, or is just a simple studio apartment ok? Are you ok with eating at a stall for 40 baht sometimes, or do you need a 500 baht meal three times a day?

Liked

i'm looking at a few apartments around 25,000 to 30,000 baht. not gonna rent a car,
    i'd be crazy to try to even ride a motorbike in the city. i love eating at the food courts
    but will go out with friends often too.

i'd just like to get a better idea of transportation costs with taxis and train, food
    costs, going out, ... normal stuff, not the vacation style of spending when you're
    buying a bottle for the boys at the bar or taking half a dozen thais to karaoke
    every night. i'm not trying to live on a tight budget, just not interested in living
    like a rock star for 6 months straight. thanks for your insights.

Andrew Ferrett: Bangkok Budget Apartment Guide. Over 400 apartments and condominium properties for rent in Central Bangkok. (2007) ISBN 9789740940340

Good properties below 30,000 Baht per month just arenтАЩt found easily. Owners find it unnecessary to advertise as there is a ready demand, and agents are more interested in the higher commissions. This book is designed to give you access to most of the interesting Bangkok properties in this price range. Aimed primarily at rents from 8,000 Baht upwards, we have included some rooms as low as 3,000 Baht where we felt it worth mentioning. http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=871

Bilingual Bangkok's Accommodation Guide. Over 600 hotels, serviced apartments, guesthouses and hotels (2008)
    ISBN: 978-974-04-3043-8 http://www.thinknet.co.th/06/eng/product.html

Very interesting thread - can I widen it a little:

If we were to say, for argument's sake, that 100,000B a month would enable you to have a reasonably good lifestyle in BKK (all inclusive) then what would be the equivalent amount required for, say, Pattaya?

:bounce: :bounce:

Liked

I found that rental expense between Bangkok and Pattaya to be very similar for the same Sqm and quality/amenities. There are cheap places and expensive in both places. The only thing really cheaper in Pattaya is go-go off fees and drinks but not everyone lives for the go-go bars. Some say that Pattaya is a lot cheaper when it comes to expected tips or the negotiated fee for sex but not really. There's low end and high end options in Bangkok. You just have to know where to go. Transportation cost, restaurants, buying food and electric all costs about the same.

You can live the high life, the low life or something in between in either place. Bangkok, though, has more options.

You want to rent for 6 months? There's contracts available for 6 months but a lot more for the one and two year agreements and generally with better prices. The best way to find a place in my opinion is to walk and walk, ask and ask. Speak to one of the local Motocy boys and ask him what's for rent in the neighborhood. You can even have him take around to look and wait for a set price, something like 100-150 per hour or whatever you can negotiate. These motocy boys know the condo guards and some even know some of the going rates in the buildings. I am forever being asked what I pay per month when a motocy boy drops me off.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Transportation -- depends on where you live. One of my requirements was within walking distance to anywhere I'd want on a near daily basis (convenience store, coffee shop, maybe some restaurants and pubs, etc.). Other than 8 baht songkaews, and the occasional tuk-tuk when we go out for a night, we have no transportation costs. Maybe 1000 baht a month, and that's pushing it. If you're taking three taxis everyday though, then obviously, you're looking at more.

Food, again, all depends up to you. You can spend 3000 baht on one meal, and if you're really thrifty, can stretch that to last the entire month. I'd say on average, the two of us spend 250 baht a day on food, so say 8000 baht a month. And these days, we eat like kings, and delicious food as well (assuming you're ok with Thai food). I actually have to start cutting back, because I'm starting to gain a bit of weight, since Kim likes to order enough for four people.

That's the great thing about Thailand. We live dirt cheap, but we actually live like kings. I have a better standard of living here, than I did in Vancouver, and for probably 15% of the cost. For example, I couldn't imagine spending 15,000 baht on one night out again, which was somewhat common in Vancouver. Again, personally, I'd say with 60,000/month, you'll be alright to live a decent life, with being able to enjoy yourself every once in a while when wanted.

#Tongpaiexpat

Thanks, that's really interesting, I had naively assumed that accommodation costs in BKK would be significantly higher than in Pattaya, but from what you say it seems not.

Thanks

:occasion9: