This is in no way a thread to wish any ill will on our new Chiang Mai sponsor, and since I did visit one of the night clubs and a couple of massage venues there a few weeks ago it may sound slightly hypocritical - but please hear me out before taking me to task, will you?

I guess what un-nerves me the most (and yes, IтАЩm well aware IтАЩm posting this on a board that is mainly gay life oriented) is how so many applaud the appearance of what are essentially tourist brothels as тАЬessential highlightsтАЭ in what are otherwise more or less unspoiled areas of an idyllic, beautiful country.

IтАЩm not sure if Beach Bunny has gone on about this in his current incarnation or not, but he and others have been 100% correct that there is SO, so much more to Thailand than young men onstage in Speedos, what they will or will not do in your hotel room and the price of alcohol. DonтАЩt get me wrong тАУ even with my advancing middle age and ever-so-slightly diminishing libido I enjoy a club viewing or everyday тАЬwalking sceneryтАЭ as much as the next dedicated rice queen, but dear lord, does there have to be a TouristтАЩs Red Light District in EVERY province?

Having had a longer stay in Chiang Mai this past visit I was pleased to be away from the hustle and bustle of the Patpong temptations for a change, and I should think that others like myself who are more than weary of almost everyone they know back home doing that stale old тАЬwink wink, nudge nudgeтАЭ routine when they hear youтАЩre going to or are just back from Thailand would agree. Relatively unspoiled Udon Thani might be next, since so many club guys seem to be from that area тАУ and personally that makes me a little sad.

PattayaтАЩs reputation has already made it the unwashed armpit of Thailand (worldwide), Phuket has itтАЩs seamy side that even a tragic tsunami couldnтАЩt wash away and of course Bangkok still reigns supreme in itтАЩs sleaze factorтАж itтАЩs too bad that those canтАЩt be enough, in my somewhat-less-than-humble opinion.

Granted, the WorldтАЩs Oldest Profession exists nearly everywhere in one form or another тАУ perhaps more so in the land of тАЬmai pen raiтАЭ, but is there really a need for neon and touts in quite so many locations?

OK, IтАЩve turned and bent over to grab my ankles. Let the caning begin.

тАЬThey paved paradise and put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique and a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lotтАЭ

-- Joni Mitchell

(Edited to add a photo taken on approach to Chiang Mai last month)