Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Brit dead falling from Songtaew

Brits are having a bad time this week:

"English-owned Property Business broken into. Cash, computers and other items stolen.

English Teacher attacked after he refused to hand over valuables to three Thai Men in Central Pattaya".

Pattaya City News

Forum's veteran
    Liked

songtaew

I have lived in Thailand for 3+years and have never, NEVER read/ heard any news about sangtaew accidents. Though they're easy to hop on and ride, when you think about the "what ifs" of what would happen in an accident, one gets a bit nervous. Last year I was on one (alone) and happen to see another songtaew turn the corner and aim right for the left side the one I was riding since my songtaew had suddenly stopped. Though I quickly held on to the one bar, I was amazed how I was swung to the back side of the cab when we were hit and the impack was at slow speed. I hate to think of a bunch of people on one and the songtaew gets hit at high speed. I have been on a couple where drunks on cycles run into the back bar bumper of the songtaew.

Liked

Funny you should mention it, THRILLBILL

Since I have been coming to Thailand (1997) and living here since 2001, this is only the 2nd serious farang-involved songtaew accident that I have heard of ..... the first was of a very elderly Scandinavian, I think Norwegian, whose foot slipped off of the back step as he was getting off......... his feet then went out from under him and he landed heavily on his butt and broke his tail bone .......... subsequently when serious infection set in he went home and passed away........... truly amazing track record when you think about it.

You think?

You think every baht bus accident is reported? HAH. Maybe one percent.

Re: You think?

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman
    You think every baht bus accident is reported? HAH. Maybe one percent.
    True. Howard has to sleep some time!

The way that the majority of songtaew drivers perform, I am amazed that there are not more serious accidents occurring on a regular basis. They have to be the worst drivers in Pattaya and with the diabolical standard of driving here, that is certainly some achievement.

G.