Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel

Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel

Having stayed at the Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel for a couple of days before flying out of Thailand, I must say I was pleasantly surprised by some things and not impressed by others.

If you don't know Bangkok at all (or know it just a little bit like me) and you take a look at the location map of the hotel (as seen at http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangk ... pinee.html ) you may think that the hotel is just around the corner from Silom, a cock-stride or rather a stride to the cocks! However, read the small print, the hotel is a good 2km walk to Silom and a little more to Suriwong and Soi Twilight, down a long, straight, dirty and busy Rama IV Road. Having walked the route there and back a few times, it loses it's majesty and I suggest you take either the underground train (just a 150 metres from the hotel) or pick up a taxi bike or taxi cab, the underground being the cheapest option at 15baht. The train also links up with the skytrain at Silom enabling you to get around quite easily.

I booked a superior room, as opposed to a standard or deluxe, but the room was small and seemed pretty standard to me. I forgot to specify double, queen or king size bed, so I ended up in a twin and dumbass that I am I also forgot to book a smoking room so ended up with a non smoker - still, it made a pleasant change to enter my room each time and not whiff stale smoke. There was no room safe, apparently only deluxe rooms come with a safe. The shower was refreshing and I am sure they use a hell of a lot of water as it felt like I was under a waterfall but no attachment for getting to those intricate little places and no hose attachment next to the toilet, which I am so used to now and don't feel 'really clean' without!

As I said, the room was small and had typical low/lower-mid budget hotel furnishings. The wifi system you needed to pay for and was quick (I hate having to pay for wifi in hotels but it seems pretty standard in many places now). The hotel is on a side street off Rama IV Road so make sure your taxi driver knows where it is - I only had to get a taxi twice (once on arrival and once coming from the bars after 1.00am) but neither knew the hotel or my pronunciation of it, but they seemed to know the road it was on, Soi Ngam Duphli (Soi Nam Duplee). On arrival you walk up a flight of steps into reception, there is a baggage/disabled ramp but that is so steep as to make the journey up for anyone in a wheelchair daunting and the journey down similar to a trip on a fair ground ride.

Reception is welcoming, the staff friendly and check-in quick. Breakfast is decent with a good selection of western and asian dishes but I never tried the evening meal as a) I never tend to eat in hotels and b) no one else seemed to be eating there either. There is still mention of a joiners fee in the hotel blurb in the rooms but I am unsure as to whether this is applied as I did not have the occassion to bring anyone back. The mix of the hotel guests included families, couples, obvious backpackers and a number of gays and all seem welcome. I know some have said there are 'too many arabs' in the hotel - whatever that means, but why other guests ethnicity should count I do not know.

I heard mention of 'guys' hanging around the hotel or around the coffee shop but saw nothing more than taxi bike riders, so don't get yoour hopes up.

The hotel all in all is pretty decent if you get the reduced rate through asia rooms (or thru' Jimmy who I have not used), the location is convenient for the underground train but not really walking distance after a night out at the bars and the area immediately around the hotel holds little of any interest.

For a couple of days stay, at budget prices, I wouldn't mind staying there again.

Pinnacle Hotel

Yes, I agree that the thais seem to call Pinnacle..as Pee-ne-cern hotel. It is much easier to tell the taxi drivers Pinnacle Hotel, Sathorn Soi 1.
    Anyway, if you should stay there again, I sould suggest taking a bus down to Robinson, most of the buses past by Rama4 and 2 buses goes into Silom. Cost you just bht7 - 10 bht.

Liked
    Wasn't there talk on the board about a new hotel being built in the space across the street from Pinnacle? Did you notice any progress on that to report? What was the name of it? Anyone remember?

The new hotel opposite of Pinnacle is Vincents. The link TeePee provided doesn't seem to work. I'm thinking of giving it a try in November as an alternative to Pinnacle.

Fatman, look at the front desk and they have business cards with a map to Pinnacle on the back. I just hand that to the driver and there is never a problem. You also mentioned boys that hang around the coffee shop. I think thats the case at Malaysia Hotel, which is just down the street from Pinnacle.

By the way, how much did you pay for the wifi? Also, would appreciate a report on the bar scene in Bangkok.

Pinnacle Hotel

When I take a taxi from Silom to the Pinnacle, I can never pronounce the name so that the driver understands. Now I usually say Malaysia Hotel (drivers usually know that one) and then just point down the road towards the Pinnacle.

Rustee is right about the buses. It is quite easy to walk down to the bus stop in front of the bank on Rama IV. It is a short ride and, usually depending on the time of the day, you don't have to wait very long for a bus to come.

Liked

Sathorn Lumphini

Hi Fatman41

So, you have left ThailandтАж.coming back soon I hope.

Have loved all of your reports!

You are a brave man to be doing that walk between the Pinnacle and Silom / Suriwong. Simply crossing Sathorn is enough to spoil my day, let alone the heat / dust.
    The MRT is the sensible option, although the amount of flights to the trains at Lumphini and Silom is close to the equivalent in total distance to Silom. The aircon in the Stations is a welcome relief to the heat outside. Hypothermia becomes an issue actually in the trains, especially with long trips. I like the MRT charge card. Used only for these short jaunts between Lumphini and Silom the cards last a good while.

The same applies with taxis. I usually stay at the Malaysia and the taxi card they give out certainly helps, especially if you have a driver that is unfamiliar with the area. Without the card I have mentioned Lumphini Park, Soi Ngan Duplee, the embassies even Babylon and usually I get blank stares. When IтАЩve mentioned Lumphini Stadium I always get dropped at the wrong side of Rama IV.

Coming home after the bars have closed, even with someone is quite often a hassle. They all know where it is, but itтАЩs too small a fare to be worth it for them.

The Pinnacle is a good area to stay. Lots of very convenient transportation links in the daytime and some interesting places nearby with plenty of bikes to get you there quickly / safely

Chok Dee Man,

Surfcrest

Quote: "....and the area immediately around the hotel holds little of any interest". I wouldn't say that! Its a short walk to Babylon and there are several nice gay food establishements in the area. The area around Malaysia hotel (just down the street from the Pinnacle) is becoming a somewhat "Gay Friendly" neighborhood, with many gay establishments and many of the local residents being gay.

Pinnacle wi-fi

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk & Disorderly
    By the way, how much did you pay for the wifi?
    Dear Drunk,

Here's the way it was in April (prices are from memory but should be fairly accurate):

150 baht for 30 minutes, good for a 24 hour period;
    400 baht for 24 hours on-line time, good for 30 days!!!!

I bought the 24 hour upon my arrival in BKK and still had time when I came back from Phuket 25 days later.

The short-term card is a very bad deal; the 24 hours-good-for-a-month is a great deal (if you stay at the Pinnacle several days or plan to come back within 30 days). But you have to ask. Needless to say, the front desk will automatically sell you the high-profit 30 minute card unless you specify you want more time.

Re: Taxis to the Pinnacle or Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    Without the (hotel) card I have mentioned Lumphini Park, Soi Ngan Duplee, the embassies even Babylon and usually I get blank stares. When IтАЩve mentioned Lumphini Stadium I always get dropped at the wrong side of Rama IV.

Coming home after the bars have closed, even with someone is quite often a hassle. They all know where it is, but itтАЩs too small a fare to be worth it for them.

The Pinnacle is a good area to stay. Lots of very convenient transportation links in the daytime and some interesting places nearby with plenty of bikes to get you there quickly / safely

Chok Dee Man,

Surfcrest
    Bit surprised here. My experience, based many times staying in the area, is that taxis generally know the Malaysia and/or Soi Ngam Duphli.

Taxis loitering on Suriwongse or the Patpong side of Silom later at night are best avoided. They all want to overcharge, especially farangs.

Solution is to walk through Soi Thaniya, cross Silom Road, and take a taxi waiting between Saladaeng station and Soi Convent. These taxis can turn into Soi Convent, and head to Sathorn Road, then to Sathorn Soi 1 then Soi Ngam Duphli.
    In my experience, these drivers always use the meter, never any problems.

Lumphini stadium would not be a good estination to ask for; will get you on the wrong side of Rama 4 for sure.

Liked: 1

Miscellany

Fatman - a nice report thank you.

http://www.pinnaclehotels.com/lumpinee/index.html
    http://www.vincentsbangkok.com/

phone 01 859 6585 : jimmyfirst@hotmail.com

Superior room from Asia Rooms 1121 baht
    Superior Room from Jimmy 940 baht

It is always wise to take a hotel card or something with you in case of accident. The map on the reverse of the Pinnacle card is not very good and I find taxi drivers not very good map readers. "Soi Ngam Duphli" is well known and if they look hesitant add Sathorn Soi One (neung) if coming from downtown.

I sometimes walk into Silom. The block to Sathorn is not very long then enter Lumphini Park wan walk through it's lovely. Some linger at the open air gyms.

quote Fatman "I heard mention of 'guys' hanging around the hotel or around the coffee shop but saw nothing more than taxi bike riders, so don't get your hopes up."
    I think there is confusion here with the Malaysia which used to have money boys in it's cofee shop ( as did the Suriwong ) but the Police stopped it a few years back. There are often a few guys hanging around the entrance of the Malaysia at night but with so much to choose from -.

I think the bus into Silom/Suriwong is 10 baht or less and the subway is 14 baht. I am extravagant and most often take a taxi or motorbike taxi and pay 35 baht. If you take a motorbike it's a lot quicker at rush hours.

The subway stations you would use are Lumphini near the Pinnacle and Si Lom for Silom - so that's easy enough and the machines take notes and give change. Si Lom station is connected by an elevated walkway to Saladang skytrain station.

I don't use wifi but a newsih little Internet shop which has opened between The Pinnacle and Rama IV charges are 30 baht an hour.
    I hope that my posts will be of use.