Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Robbed at Gunpoint

Liked: 1

Robbed at Gunpoint

Guys,

Be careful after dark if you're walking on dark lonely roads. One of my Thai friends was waiting for me to pick him up at the top of the gravel track between the sauna and Cafe des Ami Restaraunt. At about 830 pm a Thai guy and girl approached him on a Honda Wave motorcycle to ask for directions to a nearby soi. They then pulled out a gun and robbed him of his wallet and expensive mobile phone.
    He is still in a state of shock. Went Police station to report the event etc etc. PLEASE do be careful around the any area after dark that is not well lit.

This post was edited to reflect the dangers of walking alone on dark deserted streets anywhere. The title named a specific business which was uninvolved in any way nor did it have any bearing on where the person was robbed. Therefore the post and title were edited. DaBoss

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Robbed at Gunpoint

This reminds me of 6 years ago when I first came to Pattaya, I took a motor bike taxi to a soi behind Day Night Hotel. The place I was going was a massage place which I knew exactly where it was located. Strangely the motorbike taxi stopped before the destination (half a block away) where it was dark and all the shops were closed. He insisted more than what we had agreed upon earlier. I said "NO" and he started to get mad and raised his fist as if he was going to hit me. Maybe it was an "act" but I paid the amount.

The same "technique" happened this summer in Beijing China... the Chinese taxi man acted like he was confused with the price... he stopped in the dark before my hotel... he made up an excuse to stop in a dark area...and then demanded a ridiculous price. He became very aggressive. I acted like I couldn't see my wallet and quickly opened the door and went to a well lit store where there were locals watching. I gave him what we had agreed on and he was still yelling. What an A-H.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Arseholes the lot of them. Sometimes the aggressive yelling is just for show... though it's not wise to test that theory unless you're in a public area.

I swear, every second taxi I caught in Hanoi was like that. They would have these ridiculous meters that would run up something like 250,000 Dong for a 25,000 ride. So I would plainly tell them their meter is faulty and hand them 20,000 or whatever I estimated it should've been. They would yell and scream and shout and I would just calmly get out and walk away. I would get out on the opposite side from where they're sitting so if they did give chase (on foot), I'd have a head start and plenty of bystanders nearby. What a pain in the arse.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Arseholes the lot of them. Sometimes the aggressive yelling is just for show... though it's not wise to test that theory unless you're in a public area.

I swear, every second taxi I caught in Hanoi was like that. They would have these ridiculous meters that would run up something like 250,000 Dong for a 25,000 ride. So I would plainly tell them their meter is faulty and hand them 20,000 or whatever I estimated it should've been. They would yell and scream and shout and I would just calmly get out and walk away. I would get out on the opposite side from where they're sitting so if they did give chase (on foot), I'd have a head start and plenty of bystanders nearby. What a pain in the arse.
    You seem to have got off lightly every time then !!!!
    I have had similar experiences to TrillBill in his posts
    but one story a Belgian friend recounted over dinner a few weeeks ago was damm scary --the motorbike taxi he was on pulled up all of a sudden -demanded a ridiculous amonnt of money -then brandished a l long knife --my Pal ran away --and the driver ran after him --he was lucky he got away --and all done early evening in full sight of many people !!