Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: At airport...arrival...ATM's??

Liked

Re: At airport...arrival...ATM's??

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Why? When have you ever arrived to Thailand (or any foreign country for that matter), and upon falling asleep on your first night thought to yourself, "thank god I picked up some local currency in my home country before coming here"?
    Never. The Thai baht that I arrive with is kept from my previous visit.

My flights arrive late afternoon.

At the airport, I can collect luggage, head for taxi, go to hotel, have a night out.
    And not have to think about airport rates/ATM rates/cash rates etc until a day or two later.

Works for me.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (August 15th, 2016), Up2U (August 15th, 2016)

Liked

When was the last time you were in Thailand? Started around 6 - 8 months ago I think -- I noticed Bangkok Bank (yellow ATMs) were offering 30,000 withdrawals. Nowadays, Siam, TMB, and others offer 30,000 baht withdrawals too.
    30,000 Baht is over $1000 CAD; my banks have max of $500 and $700 withdrawals. Not sure of limits of other banks in America or Europe.So, in some cases withdrawals of 30,000 is moot.

As for the yellow ATMs, Bangkok Bank ATMs are Blue/Orange.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked

You can call your bank, and ask them to up your limits if wanted. I have $3000 CAD/day.

And I don't know, whatever bank the yellow ATMs belong too. I thought it was Bangkok Bank, but maybe I'm wrong. There's one at the 7/11 just beside the front entrance of Fairy Plaza here in KK. That's where I first noticed 30,000 withdrawals were available.

Liked

I thought everyone living in Thailand for any length of time would be familiar with the Yellow Bank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (August 16th, 2016), neddy3 (August 15th, 2016)

Liked

Why? When have you ever arrived to Thailand (or any foreign country for that matter), and upon falling asleep on your first night thought to yourself, "thank god I picked up some local currency in my home country before coming here"?
    That wouldn't be a good idea as the offsite rate you would get is even worse than the rate you would get at the airport.

Having said that, I usually arrive with a few left over Euros that me and my boyfriend managed to not spend at the airport bar and a few thousand baht from my previous trip.

Enough to pay for a Taxi to Thong Lor, pay the first night to the apartment building office and a few beers whilst wating for the key (we always arrive very early morning).

As to getting 30.000 baht, wow, but useless to me, my bank doesn't charge me a withdrawal fee and neither does citibank in Bangkok, so I usually just get 9800 baht each time. Only if I plan on going away from Bangkok for a few days (say to Buriram, Khon Kaen or Nakhom Phanom) I get a bit more.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I thought everyone living in Thailand for any length of time would be familiar with the Yellow Bank.
    Ohhh, that's where my mind got messed up. "Krungthep" = Bankgok in Thai, so my mind must have correlated "Krungsri" with Bangkok.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U View Post
    I meant to say the VISA rate is fractionally lower than the XE rate but still a good rate and typically better than cash.
    I found the rate for exchanging cash (at places with a good rate like Superrich) about 0.5% below XE and visa rate around 2% below XE.

For all details read here: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/201...-exchange.html

Liked

I did an ATM withdrawal 3 hours ago. 1 USD = 34.68 Superrich is 34.58(a very good rate, no Superrich in Pattaya) I have found VISA to be about .2% less than XE. If your card is 2% less than XE then that tells me your home bank is gouging you. The visa rate changes once a day but an exchange rate kiosk will change throughout the day.

http://www.superrichthailand.com
    Last edited by Up2U; August 16th, 2016 at 10:53.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I use Krungsri and can pull 30,000. Beware, my Krungsri ATM tries to play the DCC game with me (along with Kasikorn).

Liked

Yeah, the yellow ATMs (Krungsi, sorry for the mix up) I think were the first to begin offering 30,000 withdrawals. At least they were the first one I noticed, and that was probably a good 8 months ago. Then within a few months it seemed most other banks followed suit.

I know for sure Siam and TMB offer 30,000 withdrawals now, or at least their ATMs at my local market do. No idea about K-Bank, as haven't used their ATM in ages.

I don't know, I'm only at the ATM a couple times a month anyway. Pull out my 30,000, click my heels, and do a jig down the street while I continue on with my jolly gay life.