Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Quality & Your Health

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Air Quality & Your Health

Most of us know this already, but in case there’s someone out there who doesn’t you should know that being exposed to air pollution over a long period of time can cause a long list of life-threatening lung conditions including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and has also been linked to lung cancer. It’s a good idea to monitor the AQI where you reside to keep a handle on this.

A bit about AQI:

Think of the AQI (Air Quality Index) as a yardstick that runs from 0 to 500. The higher the AQI value, the greater the level of air pollution and the greater the health concern. For example, an AQI value of 50 or below represents good air quality, while an AQI value over 300 represents hazardous air quality.

AQI values at or below 100 are generally thought of as satisfactory. When AQI values are above 100, air quality is unhealthy: at first for certain sensitive groups of people, then for everyone as AQI values get higher. Just as an example these are the AQI values for a few places today: Pattaya = 42, Phuket = 66, Buriram = 60, Bangkok = 61 (personally I have a hard time believing this), and Chiange Mai = 195.

From what I understand international travel insurance carriers have canceled coverage for tourists visiting those places having AQI values >100 such as Chiange Mai. There may have also been international travel advisories issued to the same effect…not sure.

The experts recommend keeping doors and windows shut and use a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) purifier. “Undaunted (MFAS)” purchased one of these years ago and recommended we do the same. I didn’t listen then but I’m buying one now. Also avoid smoking, burning candles or cooking fried foods.

On a personal note: I wouldn't travel anywhere up in the northern regions at all until the AQI levels come back down to normal. And, because of the heat wave we're experiencing now, I'll be spending less time outdoors in general. I can think of plenty of fun things to do indoors until it cools down a bit...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Air Quality & Your Health

....omg...wtf....

3. User who gave Like to post:

francois (April 9th, 2024)

Liked

a common joke among tech/science folks is "The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them" and this applies to AQI as well - different countries have different versions of the AQI "standard" so when checking readings from a web site, app or device check which AI standard is being used

also the AQI rating is calculated based on many different aspects of air quality, including levels of PM2.5, PM10, NO2, O3, CO and SO2. In some discussions and news reports the main interest is PM2.5 levels as a significant health issue so when looking at a reported figure it is important to know if this is an AQI or a PM2.5 measurement - for example in Bang Rak in Bangkok at the moment the AQI is 61 and the PM2.5 is 17, both considered "moderate" on their respective scales (US AQI), but if the AQI is confused with a PM2.5 then 61 is a significantly more "unhealthy" PM2.5 level than 17

and when considering PM2.5 levels, again different countries have set different "target" levels - often incorrectly referred to in the press and government announcements as "safe" levels - 10, 20, 33, 50 etc. In the past Thailand used to use 50 but most recent reports seem to use 33, still a long way from the WHO recommended target or the targets set in many other countries.

and if you do get yourself a home air purifier with a HEPA filter put it in the kitchen and watch it go ballistic as you cook dinner!

and there was an article in the Bangkok Post recently about converting the Erawan Shrine from using wax candles to electric ones to reduce the PM2.5 levels in the area, something already done in Singapore and Taiwan!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (April 10th, 2024), Moses (April 10th, 2024)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post

a common joke among tech/science folks is "The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them" and this applies to AQI as well - different countries have different versions of the AQI "standard" so when checking readings from a web site, app or device check which AI standard is being used.
    No truer words ever spoken.

If you want to have fun sometime try to determine if you're getting the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of a particular nutrient in your diet whilst in Thailand - as compared to RDI (Reference Daily Intake) which is the standard used in Thailand. If you're like me you end up saying "fuck it" and just stick to taking a guess...LOL

Liked

====The experts recommend keeping doors and windows shut and use a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) purifier. “Undaunted (MFAS)” purchased one of these years ago and recommended we do the same. I didn’t listen then but I’m buying one now. Also avoid smoking, burning candles or cooking fried foods.===

Candles are OK. Fried food cooking is OK too if you use good active kitchen hood.

In my apts in Moscow I have active inflow breezers for ventilation in main room and bedroom + purifiers, all with HEPA filters. PM2.5 never is going above 1-2 longer than 10 sec. All devices are linked to smart home, CO2 is always below 1000.

Right now in living room (display of breezer):

33b57fb4-3fac-4d2b-92d1-ad931206b102.jpg
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...dunno Moses...you might be living in such an unnaturally clean enviornmrnt that the moment you step outside & breath in 2nd hand smoke from some guy walking by your susttem will go minto convulsions and you will faint.

Liked

oh great ... another thing to worry about? the air was not good many days in Medellin. no air conditioning, no filters, windows always open. sweep and mop the floor every day and my feet still black from street dirt.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by maump View Post

......oh great ... another thing to worry about?
    Not really.

The fact that environmental factors like Air Quality are now being measured, analyzed, and reported to the general public in a way where preventive actions can be taken to protect our health, coupled with the advent of new technologies at our disposal that actually clean the air we breath so we don't have anything to worry about is a gift.

The average life expectancy 150 years ago before these technologies were invented was 40 - which has now nearly doubled allowing us to live a hell of a lot longer.

No complaints from me.

Liked

====you might be living in such an unnaturally clean enviornmrn===

It is exactly natural clear environment - environment of the forest... I forgot to mention humidifiers, which starting to work when humidity drops lower than 50%, air conditioners that the smart home turns on if the temperature rises above +26C, and awnings over the windows that extend when the sun begins to shine through the windows

modern climate control devices are affordable and easy to automate via smart home hubs
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

12. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (April 11th, 2024)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...and how will thisn get me fresh "boy" butt??