List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spice Magazine - Service or dis-service?

Liked

Re: Spice Magazine - Service or dis-service?

This is hardly surprising. We all know how quickly gay venues open, close, change their names - even turn into girlie bars... The lead time for producing magazines is sufficiently long to render it very doubtful whether one will ever be 100% accurate.

Given, too, the disgraceful journalistic standards of most English-language Thai publications (The Bangkok Post and The Nation are honourable exceptions), I have minimal expectations of accuracy/impartiality/honesty of anything in print.

That said, Spice is free of charge and can be an entertaining read that passes a boring half hour in the hotel room or on the beach. I'd just take it all with a pinch of salt and just pick one up for the feature articles and the pics of some handsome boys!

"The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

It would of been nice of you to also say the site is very good and the other information is interesting, so we can then beleive you are just not trying to trash the site with a secret agenda.
    ...so in your universe, anyone who says something about something but neglects to praise it, is trashing it? :scratch: This explains so much.

Which issue of Spice were you reading? What colour was the cover? In past months the covers were all the same basic design but in a different colour.
    A new issue of Spice came out this week under the stewardship of a new editorial team. This one has a multi-coloured cover with a new design and more detail. It was a bit late in being issued because the new team had to rewrite a lot of the input from the old editor.
    It's coverage of Bangkok and Pattaya is better than before and I expect in time they will get someone up to the boondocks of Chiang Mai to re-do the listings, maps and articles.

It IS a useless, uninformative site. Actually, it's worse than useless: it is misleading.

Thanks to the OP for confirming that, so we don't have to bother looking at it again.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bunny
    It IS a useless, uninformative site. Actually, it's worse than useless: it is misleading.

Thanks to the OP for confirming that, so we don't have to bother looking at it again.
    Agreed! The guide to Phuket is also limited and long out of date.

Liked

Ah, there it is at last - the implied threat of legal action for a piece of arguably justified criticism.

Such a threat is, I would suggest, one of the major reasons (along with an ingrained tradition of backhanders and mutual backscratching) why the Thai media is so cringingly subservient and unquestioning.

Does the Pattaya Mail actually invite restaurateurs to get in touch in order to be reviewed? Does Miss Terry Diner of the Pattaya Mail ever have anything other than a delicious meal of helpings so large that (s)he is unable to finish it? Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears defecate in the woods?
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Quote Originally Posted by Bottoms Up
    It is hard to find some reliable sources in each city to update us
    LOL...yeah, there's a real shortage of bored old queens in Phuket, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai. 555.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottoms Up

By the way Bottoms up did not write it Phil Graham the owner of Spice Magazine sent it to me

Uh, yeah...that fact did not escape me. The lack of kindergartner spelling and syntax errors was my first clue.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

To me, Spice Magazine is a great venue for the gay tourist in LOS. Compared to other free handouts in other cities around the world, I feel it is one of the best. Like all free publications, these community magazines financially depend on their sponsors; thus, the "gay friendly" restaurants, bars, hotels... down to the go-go bar and massage parlors will have the glossy advertisemment and be identified on the city maps compared to the establishment that does not advertise. For us who live here, true,we know there are other "gay" venues that may not be mentioned in a publication but are worth attending. That is when research on the internet comes in. If one has information to contribute to Spice or any other "community magazine" they would most likely appreciate the information;for, these small publications do not have a large staff to get the "inside" scoop.

Spice Magazine has come a long way from what it was 5 years ago (when I arrived here)- Certainly it is more professsional with the colored layout along helpful articles that relate to ones health, places to see, and any cultural events happening in the BKK area. (Something must be going right--look at all of the "straight" establishments advertising in the periodical. )

A couple years ago I sent an email to the editor of Spice Magazine asking why they would only print pictures of skinny, young Thais instead of a variety of Asians, including those who look like "men" with muscles. He wrote back and thanked me for my suggestion. And now when you read/glance through a Spice Magazine, you will see some good "eye candy" in there.

For us who live here and have something resouceful to be pubished in Spice Magazine (and like to write) should not be shy but contact the editor of Spice Magazine and see if they could use your expertise. I am sure they could use the help.

Liked

Why complain about something that is free? If the "good" gay venues in Chiang Mai want a good mention in the magazine, then drop some advertising dollars into it. Problem solved!

Otherwise, don't bitch, let the market take its course, and let the owner run the magazine as he sees fit. Or, you could always start up your own magazine.