Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing room only

Liked

Standing room only

Last night, I returned to The Venue for the show to which I had not been in awhile, and thank god I got there early. I arrived 9.45PM (15 mins before show) and it took time to be found a table as the place was near full. By 10.10, the waiters were adding more chairs where they could, and I could see a load of people standing in the back - full house!

The show was excellent and seem to have got more pro since my last visit, there was 1 new kateoy (all are very good), and some new dancers (all of them can dance, you can tell they train hard). Some of the numbers are new, and we were treated to a routine with the owner and waiters in Thai Navy hats, and Ms Karen in all her feathers as well.....and a magician (Thai) who is pretty good and cute. Everyone seem to be having a great time.

The whole show is packed with lots of things for everyone. There were a few families in the crowd, and many people I had not seen before. I reckon at least 150 last night, well done to the owners and dancers, it must be satisfying that after all the work they have put in, and some of the criticism they have had on this board.

The only other gay venue in town with this kind of crowd is Wild West at show time. Boyztown like Copa and Boyz boyz boyz seem to be managing very small crowds in comparison, but there again their shows are pretty awful and dated, and drink prices very high.

The Venue has got it all pretty much spot on!

Re: Standing room only

Quote Originally Posted by blueboy
    .... and Ms Karen in all her feathers as well.....
    I have seen Ms.Karen perform a few times and frankly, she's an embarrassment. Why is she even given a spot in the show ... charity???
    She may have been some great drag star years ago but surely it would be kinder to her and the audience to have her retired. She's past it.

Liked

Ms Karen may be beyond her prime, but surely she is better than the woman (a REAL one) I saw on stage at Xsize the other night. The bar had dragged this really old hilltribe woman from Surawong Rd, put her up on stage and had her do one of those boring ethnic dances. What on earth were they thinking?? It is not as thought they were trying to fill in time - the show went on for well over an hour.
    I walked out and escaped into the arms of Mr Gorgeous.

Liked

I have to agree on a few of the above points. I have always shied away from these types of shows in Thailand because of some bad drag acts ( some fat drag queens at Throb years ago) and terrible costumes and just "bad" dancing ; if you can call it that.

During my week in Pattaya I was invited to a show at The Venue one night. The previous night I was dragged kicking and screaming to Boys, Boys, Boys and would have rather had bamboo shoots shoved under my fingernails. EWWWWWWW!!!!

Now I have been involved in numerous drag productions and pageants in the States as my ex was one of the performers, but I have to say...I have NEVER seen a more "tightly produced" show. It was split up into 3 "acts" so to speak which gives customers a chance to talk and get refreshed. Each number produced excellent dancing, costumes that could have come off the runways in Vegas and ENTERTAINMENT. I was so impressed I went back 3 nights in a row. Now, that one "oh so cute" dancer may have been my draw but we won't talk about that. The staff was most friendly from the waiters to the DJ. (who was most helpful with some of the music used in the show) The drinks were very inexpensive. I complimented the managers on their "venue" and hard work which really showed in all aspects. I will be back to Pattaya next year and I guarantee you, I will have my front row table a few of the nights waiting for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my opinion and remember opinions are like assholes...everyone has one and some of them stink!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

When there is something positive to say about a place in Pattaya, it is refreshing to see someone give recognition. Thanks Blueboy. (Fact: If one watches the same lip-sync-dance show all the time it will get boring no matter what. Who cares about the jewelry the performers wear... go to a jewelry store if you get excited looking at stones. )

Thank you Blueboy.

I was at The Venue last night and I can say it was more packed than I'd ever seen it before.
    All around superb performance by all including Ms Karen. Some like drag, some don't. If you don't, there was loads of shows basically non-stop from 10 until midnight and very entertaining ranging from kateoys, boys in sexy lycra shorts, a magician, Ray and his Navy boys and Ms Karen.

It's undoubtedly the happening place in Jomtien & Pattaya, and has revived Jomtien Complex with all other gay and gay friendly businesses benefiting from the crowds. The Venue is one place you can't say: "went there last night and there were only a couple more customers" which you can say just about everywhere else.
    The only other places I hear are as busy, are the Dudes and Xray discos which are for a different crowd an very very late.

Keep it going Ray, Darrell and the superb cast.

Q. What is the best thing I can think of to describe the show at The Venue?
    A. It's better than the other shows in Pattaya bars.

Q. What is the best thing I can think of to describe Ms. Karen?
    A. It's difficult without blaspheming or swearing. Atrocious is the best compliment I can come up with.
    Seriously, is she meant to be a comedy act - like Les Dawson playing the piano?

Quote Originally Posted by jomtiengayguide
    The only other places I hear are as busy, are the Dudes ...
    Didn't Dudes close down last month?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by tony7
    Seriously, is she meant to be a comedy act - like Les Dawson playing the piano?
    Thanks Tony - bearing this new analogy in mind it might just make Madam Karen bearable!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by both-hans
    Quote Originally Posted by jomtiengayguide
    The only other places I hear are as busy, are the Dudes ...
    Didn't Dudes close down last month?
    Yes, Dude is closed.

For those that can take the sound level, NAB past North Pattaya Road on Second road has some of the hottest performers in Thailand in my opinion. All available for offing at a high bar fine price.