Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Expedia Best Tourist Index 2009

Expedia Best Tourist Index 2009

Global research carried out on behalf of Expedia by TNS, June 10 - June 23 2009 on 4,557 hoteliers worldwide focusing on Europe, the Americas (North and South America), Africa and Asia Pacific.

HOLIDAYING BRITS WORST BEHAVED IN EUROPE

London, 10th July 2009 - British tourists have been named as the worst behaved in Europe, according to new research out today. For the third year running, Europeans have also voted the Brits messy, bad tippers and very likely to complain.

The Expedia Best Tourist Index, running annually since 2002, gauges the opinions of over 4,500 hoteliers worldwide to rank different nationalities on their behaviour abroad - everything from spending habits to their willingness to try and speak the local language.

International relations

While the Europeans are critical of British holidaymakers, the rest of the world paints a different picture. For the second consecutive year, British holidaymakers are runners-up overall in the worldwide Best Tourist rankings. A fifth (18%) of those surveyed commended the Brits for their politeness, while those from the UK were ranked second in the best behaved category and most generous nationality, although trounced here by the Americans who comfortably stormed in to first place.

The traditional socks and sandals stereotype of holidaying Brits also seems to be waning. For the second year in a row, they ranked highly in the wardrobe department, rated second most stylish overall, beaten only by the couture-clad Italians, with the French in third place.

Brits on Brits

Despite being voted the second best tourists in the world, Brits have a disparaging view of themselves. A fifth voted their fellow countrymen the worst globally, only behind the Americans. A further 20% claimed home-grown holidaymakers were both the most miserly and the noisy.

"Being voted the worst tourists in the world by our closest neighbours highlights the fact that the 'Brits Abroad' moniker is a label we still haven't managed to shrug off. While we are in second place in the global 'Best Tourist' rankings, we clearly have a job to do to convince our European counterparts and those at home that we can be better behaved on holiday," says Jonathan Cudworth, head of product marketing, Expedia.co.uk.

The Good, The Bad & The French

The Index reveals that the Japanese are far and away the world's best tourists, scoring highly not only as the quietest and most polite but also the cleanest and least likely to complain.

Britain's friends across The Channel didn't fare quite so well with hoteliers naming the French as the world's worst European tourists. As well as being the most frugal and meanest tippers, they can also lay claim to being among the rudest tourists in Europe, with a tenth of hoteliers citing them as most impolite.

Additional findings

• Speaking louder and slower is a thing of the past as Brits move up the rankings from last year to number three, being the most likely to try to speak the local language

Worldwide, the Japanese, British, Canadians, Germans and Australians are considered the most polite nations.

TheTop 3 loudest nations are the Americans, Italians and Spanish

After the Americans and the British, the next biggest tippers are the Germans and the Japanese.

Canadians, Australians and Swiss were the other top five nationalities named as least likely to complain.

2009 Expedia Best Tourist Global Index

1= Japanese 14= New Zealanders

2= British 16= Thais :->

3= Canadians 17= Portuguese

4= Germans 17= Czechs

5= Swiss 19= Italians

6= Dutch 19= Irish

6= Australians 19= Brazilians

8= Swedish 22= Polish

8= Americans 22= South Africans

10= Danes 24= Turkish

10= Norwegians 24= Greeks

10= Finnish 26= Spanish

10= Belgians 27= French

14= Austrians

http://press.expedia.co.uk/press-rel...in-europe.aspx

Liked

Re: Expedia Best Tourist Index 2009

I vote Expedia the worst writers of press releases from survey data. I have seldom read such a hodge-podge of incomprehensible rubbish. So Brits are less popular in Europe than farther afield. Maybe because the farther you go the more it costs and the less well-off are the first to complain about the over-inflated euro-prices and po-faced service all too prevalent in many European "destinations".

Relax! Here is the pragmatic attitude:
    Raising the American Profile

For Americans planning to travel abroad this summer, below are a few tips to ensure they don't live up to any messy, noisy or complaining cliches in the eyes of their hotelier:

тАв Clean Up Your Act: Before checking out of your hotel, take a quick pass through the room to pick up any garbage or used linens from the floor.

тАв Turn the Volume Down: Just because you may be accustomed to blasting music at home or laughing like a hyena with your friends doesn't mean fellow hotel guests share that enthusiasm.

тАв Stay Calm: Always remember that quality standards vary from country to country, so don't be shocked if some experiences may be different than you pictured.

http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/art....html#Continue

Liked

I would easily vote the Worlds Worst Tourists as being the British (even though some of my best friends are ... yada yada).
    Just going by pure anecdotal evidence, Hua Hin must have the greatest proportion of excruciatingly boorish English soccer hooligans east of Barcelona. 'Poilte'??! It is to guffaw (loudly).
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

elephantspike

4 Out Of 5 Texas Dentists Advocate The Death Penalty

DALLASтАФAccording to a study released Monday by the Texas Dental Association, four out of five dentists in the Lone Star State advocate the use of capital punishment. "About 80 percent of the dentists surveyed recommend brushing three times daily, regular dental check-ups, and death by lethal injection should a prisoner be found guilty of homicide in a court of law," TDA spokeswoman Stacy Gunderson said. "Simply putting criminals in hard-to-reach places isn't enough of a deterrent. Rinsing the scum out of death row is vital for the long-term health of this state." Gunderson then called for justice, and plenty of all-natural sugar-free snacks, to be served.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32725

Liked

Re: 4 Out Of 5 Texas Dentists Advocate The Death Penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantspike
    DALLASтАФAccording to a study released Monday by the Texas Dental Association...
    Intentional thread drift?
    [size=7][color=#0000FF][i]"quiet1":[/i] the poster previously known as [i]"bkk gwm"[/i][/color][/size]

Liked

Re: 4 Out Of 5 Texas Dentists Advocate The Death Penalty

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephantspike
    DALLASтАФAccording to a study released Monday by the Texas Dental Association...
    Intentional thread drift?

Nah, I'd guess it was just free associative thinking. After reading many of the posts at SWD, I also sometimes associate the experience with capital punishment.

Liked

Re: The quivering upper lip

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    I would easily vote the Worlds Worst Tourists as being the British (even though some of my best friends are ... yada yada).

┬╗We feel respected┬л, Japanese bar boys answered when
    asked for their opinion on British customers. AD 2009

Theodore Dalrymple
    The Quivering Upper Lip
    The British character: from self-restraint to self-indulgence

When my mother arrived in England as a refugee from Nazi Germany, shortly before the outbreak of World War II, she found the people admirable, though not without the defects that corresponded to their virtues. By the time she died, two-thirds of a century later, she found them rude, dishonest, and charmless. They did not seem to her, moreover, to have any virtues to compensate for their unpleasant qualities. I occasionally asked her to think of some, but she couldnтАЩt; and neither, frankly, could I. (...)

What, exactly, were the qualities that my mother had so admired? Above all, there was the peopleтАЩs manner. The British seemed to her self-contained, self-controlled, law-abiding yet tolerant of others no matter how eccentric, and with a deeply ironic view of life that encouraged them to laugh at themselves and to appreciate their own unimportance in the scheme of things. If Horace Walpole was rightтАФthat the world is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feelтАФthe English were the most thoughtful people in the world. They were polite and considerate, not pushy or boastful; the self-confident took care not to humiliate the shy or timid; and even the most accomplished was aware that his achievements were a drop in the ocean of possibility, and might have been much greater if he had tried harder or been more talented.

Those characteristics had undoubted drawbacks. They could lead to complacency and philistinism, for if the world was a comedy, nothing was serious. They could easily slide into arrogance: the rest of the world can teach us nothing. The literary archetype of such arrogance was Mr. Podsnap in DickensтАЩs Our Mutual Friend, a man convinced that all that was British was best, and who тАЬhad even acquired a peculiar flourish of his right arm in often clearing the world of its most difficult problems, by sweeping them behind him.тАЭ Still, taken all in all, my mother found the British culture of the day possessed of a deep and seductive, if subtle and by no means transparent or obvious, charm. (...)

Many remarked upon the gentleness of British behavior in public. Homicidal violence and street robberies were vanishingly rare. But it wasnтАЩt only in the absence of crime that the gentleness made itself felt. British pastimes were peaceful and reflective: gardening and the keeping of pigeons, for example. Vast sporting crowds would gather in such good order that sporting events resembled church meetings, as both George Orwell and anthropologist Geoffrey Gorer (writing in 1955) noted.

Newsreels of the time reinforce the point. The faces of people in sports crowds did not contort in hatred, snarling and screaming, but were peaceful and good-humored, if a little pinched and obviously impoverished. The crowds were almost self-regulating; as late as the early sixties, the British read with incredulity reports that, on the Continent, wire barriers, police baton charges, and tear gas were often necessary to control crowds. Incidents of crowd misbehavior in Britain were so unusual that when one did happen, it caused a sensation.

The English must have been the only people in the world for whom a typical response to someone who accidentally stepped on oneтАЩs toes was to apologize oneself. British behavior when ill or injured was stoic. (...)

Gradually, but overwhelmingly, the culture and character of British restraint have changed into the exact opposite. Extravagance of gesture, vehemence of expression, vainglorious boastfulness, self-exposure, and absence of inhibition are what we tend to admire nowтАФand the old modesty is scorned. It is as if the population became convinced of BlakeтАЩs fatuous dictum that it is better to strangle a baby in the cradle than to let a desire remain unacted upon. (...)

Read the entire text here: http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_...character.html