Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tourism back to normal in October

Tourism back to normal in October

According to the Bangkok Post, Tourism will be back to normal in October, when the new tourist season starts:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/eco ... in-tourism

By: BangkokPost.com
    Published: 13/05/2009 at 03:04 PM The government will invest at least 200 million baht in the private sector to revive the tourism industry, Deputy Prime Minister Kobsak Sabhavasu said on Wednesday.

Mr Kobsak, chairman of the government's Tonkla Archeep employment project, said after signing a memorandum of understanding with the Federation of Thai Tourism Associations (Fetta) and the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) that the 200-million-baht budget would be used for training in the tourism sector.

This investment would save the jobs of about 20,000 employees in the industry in danger of being left unemployed this year, he said.

He predicted tourism would return to normal in October, the beginning of the usual, annual peak period.

The Tonkla Archeep project aims at training and job creation to help about 500,000 unemployed in the country.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumphol Silpa-archa said the scheme would strengthen the tourism sector. His ministry was working Chinese authorities to attract more Chinese tourists.

Association of Domestic Travel (ADT) president Maiyarat Pheerayakoses said 250,000 employees in the tourism industry could be out of jobs this year if the government had done nothing.

On the overall economic situation, Mr Kobsak said the Bank of Thailand (BoT) should ease loan regulations to help boost private sector liquidity.

He admitted it could be difficult for the central bank to deal with non-performing loans (NPLs) if the regulations were not stringent enough.

"Financial policy has been fully implemented, but monetary policy must help support the economy as well.

"I understand that the central bank could be worried about approving more loans during the economic slump, but if we allow businesses to face problems on their own, NPLs may rise again," the deputy prime minister said.

I'm baffled as to how they "work this one out".

Liked

Re: Tourism back to normal in October

Sure. Before they should increase airporttax and take some more ATM-fees and introduce an 300 baht money exchange fee and so on. Tourists will like the rip off and come back in millions.
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

I'm not too sure things will be back to normal.
    Airlines are short of reservations........

I have just taken up an Emirates special price if travelling before Dec 8th.

I re-booked my ticket, saved 600+GBP after paying 200 in cancellation fees ... A RESULT !

Liked

Good deal jinks, I was in a Travel Agents in Pattaya today and the Business fair from here to Europe return was working out at nearly 3k in euro....that was very expensive INHO

Not a chance of tourism being back to normal.

1 Thai baht is up against the $ & ┬г.
    2 Some people who visited Thailand previously will now be unemployed, on short time working or have no overtime revenue from work.
    3 Some family tourists will avoid Thailand because of the reported aggro & some will not go back after the disruption they had last year.

I still hope to visit, of course.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jinks
    I'm not too sure things will be back to normal.
    Airlines are short of reservations........

I have just taken up an Emirates special price if travelling before Dec 8th.

I re-booked my ticket, saved 600+GBP after paying 200 in cancellation fees ... A RESULT !
    Nice work jinks. One really does have to keep an eye out on the specials. I am also waiting to see what Royal Brunei and Thai come up with for travel over the next six months.

So far they have been great but too early to predict when I am able to travel. By the end of next month will know for sure. I will keep my fingers crossed that a super special such as your comes my way (New Zealand).

Cheers
    krobbie

Liked

I agree this is a pretty overly optimistic forecast. He doesn't put forth much in the way of evidence for this claim.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fedssocr
    I agree this is a pretty overly optimistic forecast. He doesn't put forth much in the way of evidence for this claim.
    It may be overly optimistic, but I'm hoping airfares drop myself.

Anyway... nothing wrong with being optimistic, is there? :cheers:

[youtube:1qwonlvg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYhk9Qui2g[/youtube:1qwonlvg]

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Irish1972
    Good deal jinks, I was in a Travel Agents in Pattaya today and the Business fair from here to Europe return was working out at nearly 3k in euro....that was very expensive INHO
    I paid 1550тВм with EVA and at time are good deals also with BA in Business (2 pax) and also Etihad for 1650тВм
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Liked

Depends what they think "normal" means. I think we've been reading about downturns for much longer than before Easter.

After having to spend money to avoid Bangkok last month it'll be a while before Bangkok is my asian hub of preference again.

Smiling clowns. :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: