Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boutique style

Boutique style

I will be visiting Bangkok for the easter weekend.
    I just wonder if I missed something, are there any very nice small boutique style hotels there? I mean like Mr Thompson's abode but with swimming pool. Gay is absolutely unnecessary as I am one and that should be enough, but charming , serenity, starched sheets and most important of all lush inspired garden setting, definite prerequisites.

Feel like something different for a change. :flower:

Wow TeePee I think you're onto something with this one, I am very excited. I wonder what happens if the corporat's decide to book the eating pavilion, do we have to eat from the carts on the street around the corner. And breakfast? This is very exciting I am thinking if I should look see or take a chance and book. I suppose you can get a cook if you take the one with kitchen. The prices are pretty good.
    Thank-you :bounce: :compress: :bounce:

Art house

I have stayed at the Sukhothai a few times but their garden is strange, its not really accessible more a kind of view from the room. The others are looking interesting especially the first one. Maybe the whole "spa aroma" thingy is not needed. Oldbangkokin's site is no longer working I will try another route.
    thank-you

Liked
    Leaving aside the Sukhothai that I have heard much about, has anyone stayed at the other boutique hotels listed particularly those on the river.

New Boutique Hotel in Silom: LUXX

www.staywithluxx.com
    Anyone stay here? No garden, pool or fitness center, though.

Liked: 1
    Luxx - only open a few days - 30% opening discount -

What is a boutique hotel? It used to be a small exquisite place personally managed. I see the Shangri-La being advertised as 'boutique'

Asking for a fine hotel with nice spacious gardens in a major city centre is asking a lot. I wonder if the http://bangkok-nailertpark.swissotel.com/ would be of interest. It has big gardens including a penis shrine.
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

Villas

Yes the Luxx looks good,but no garden and no pool. Boutique hotel used to mean and still should mean, as you say Teepee "small exquisite personal...." some of the major chains have jumped on the band wagon, the Shangri-La is not a boutique style anything. Nor is the four seasons or the Banyan.

The Orient used to be one but now its a tourist trap. The Siam intercontinental in its day was fabulous, gardens forever, rooms with doors out onto the pool, all very sophisticated low rise and dripping with charm. The gardeners where the cutest, I have very fond childhood memories hanging around the servants quarters next to the nursery (plants) watching the men take their showers, all smiles and soap ,while I was being fed sweetmeats by the giggling maids. I think they demolishd the hotel?

I am thinking of trying the "Villas on the river" though leaving it a bit late, least I got the flight booked last week. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Liked

Re: Villas

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    The Siam intercontinental in its day was fabulous, gardens forever, rooms with doors out onto the pool, all very sophisticated low rise and dripping with charm. The gardeners where the cutest, I have very fond childhood memories hanging around the servants quarters next to the nursery (plants) watching the men take their showers, all smiles and soap ,while I was being fed sweetmeats by the giggling maids. I think they demolishd the hotel?
    Alas, yes. The final night was 30 June 2002 and demolition was completed around November/December of that year. Having also been a fan of those wonderful gardens with an attached Hotel, I recorded the process whenever I could. The concierge had been on the staff for 32 years and was a wonderful source of information. Replaced by the awful Siam Paragon.

Billy

Siam for ever

Eish! Thats sad Billy. I think this was the hotel that made me love gardening. I would love some pictures of it in its prime. It was Bangkok at its best. Mind you so was the Ambassador. They just went and built yet more in the grounds of the Peninsula first it was a Thai restaurant and now a mega "spa" getting a bit crowded.
    Spas are so over rated as to make me want to puke. Give me a table with a green views a handsome man and a tube of ponds cream and what more do you want ?