Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Help me on my first time in Bangkok! Thread

Yet Another Help me on my first time in Bangkok! Thread

First off, this forum has a lot of good threads and I think the advice I gleaned from some of the other threads is going to be really helpful. So thanks to whoever's running this place and to the guys who contributed by posting.

So, you guys know the drill. Guy comes into Thailand, really doesn't know what he's doing. He's young, let's say, just to pick a completely random age that is in no way my actual age... 23. He has some largely unexplored interests in a few fetishes and isn't versatile. Again, to be totally random, let's just say he's a top who is interested but inexperienced (to a degree) in BDSM. Most of all, he doesn't want to be ripped off or mugged or anything like that, and he'd prefer if he could get just some fun without having to do a direct business deal... even if he does end up paying for dinners, drinks, and breakfast...

Some of his questions might be:
    "Where is a good place to buy condoms, lubes, etc?"
    "What are some places to avoid?"
    "What's a reasonable price for massage boys and go go boys, say, for an hour or two?"
    "Where's the good shopping at?"
    "Where should I go for culture stuff, in and out of Bangkok?"
    "Is there any place I can find others interested in the BDSM scene?"
    "How weird is it that I keep talking about myself in the 3rd person?"

Last, You guys should consider making a sticky thread called: "post here if it's your first time in Thailand".

Thank you all in advance! Have a good one!

Liked

Re: Yet Another Help me on my first time in Bangkok! Thread

OK LuckyD, I'll have a go at answering your questions for you:

Boots, Watsons, Guardian, any chemist/drug store - there are many around
    "What are some places to avoid?"
    Pattaya
    "What's a reasonable price for massage boys and go go boys, say, for an hour or two?"
    1000-1500 baht - up to you. Remember it's a discretionary tip - no need to agree a price first.
    MBK, Siam Discovery, Siam Centre, Paragon, ZEN, Gaysorn, Central Chitlom - all in a line along the sky-walk from the National Stadium to Chitlom. Shop 'till you drop without your feet touching the ground.
    "Where should I go for culture stuff, in and out of Bangkok?"
    Bangkok Art and Cultural Centre between MBK and Siam Discovery (see 'shopping' above)
    Check events at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre, National Cultural Centre, National Gallery Museum and of course a first timer should visit the Grand Palace, Wat Arun - Temple of Dawn, Vimanmek Teak Mansion etc. Take a trip (and a boy) to Muang Boran just outside Bangkok for view of regional vernacular architecture.

"Is there any place I can find others interested in the BDSM scene?"
    Probably not. Thai's are generally not into that.
    "How weird is it that I keep talking about myself in the 3rd person?"
    Weird
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Liked

I agree with Sen Yai on most points, except:
    a) Pattaya can be a LOT of fun for a few days - much cheaper, too, than Bangkok if you know where to go.
    b) I'd give MBK a wide berth as it is a fire-trap. (BTW the food hall downstairs in Siam Paragon is amazing.)
    c) 1000 for short time (2 hours, the boys told me, was standard), 1500 and up for all night

If you go to the Grand Palace, or any other sightseeing attraction for that matter, always check your change at the ticket gate. Last year I was given change for 500 baht instead of 1000 baht at the Grand Palace. I tried to go back to complain but there were too many Russian tourists pushing and shoving to buy tickets. The first time I went there I was told by a guy in front of the main gate that the palace was closed until 2 pm because of some royal ceremony. However, he had a taxi and would be able to guide me around Bangkok until the palace re-opened. (What luck!) Needles to say, it was all a lie. Also, watch the taxi drivers at the airport - they try to tell you that the highway toll is 100 baht when it is only 65. (It's not the money, it's the principle here.) If you go to a gogo bar, check your change - I was short-changed in a lot of bars in Soi Twighlight! Times are desperate and so are the bar owners. I tend to be very trusting (I spent many years living in Japan) and usually never checked things like that. Now I do. Watch out - there are scams everywhere.

Liked

Sen Yai answers this question:

What are some places to avoid?

With this answer:

Pattaya

-So why is that Sen Yai ???

Some would say that Pattaya is the place not to avoid.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sen Yai
    Boots, Watsons, Guardian, any chemist/drug store - there are many around
    MBK, Siam Discovery, Siam Centre, Paragon, ZEN, Gaysorn, Central Chitlom - all in a line along the sky-walk from the National Stadium to Chitlom. Shop 'till you drop without your feet touching the ground.
    Watsons had pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! And I did a small, "fire trap" shopping place near Siam Centre and came away with quite a haul! Next I want to buy a pair or two of cheap dress shoes... Also, at first I went into Siam Discovery, or the place next to it, and was shocking. All the name brand stores but, Jesus, most of the stuff was just as expensive as in Japan or America!

Next I'll be trying out the Silom scene tonight. I'll be going to Telephone and working from there...

Last, one more question (for today) for you folks. Is there a gym that would do a short membership (3 weeks or so) around Silom? I work out in my hotel room (Om Yim Lodge, need a little bit more time here before I deliver any kind of real verdict on the accommodations), but I'd really like a gym. Doesn't need to be luxurious, just a place with some weights really.

Quote Originally Posted by a447
    a) Pattaya can be a LOT of fun for a few days - much cheaper, too, than Bangkok if you know where to go.
    Is there any point in going to Pattaya for a day trip? I sorta booked a place in Bangkok already, so I'd rather not pay for two places for the same night if I can avoid it.

(I spent many years living in Japan)
    What a coincidence, that's where I was just living for the past year! Sure one hell of a culture shock...

I already got suckered into paying more than I should have for the taxi from the airport. But I was tired and didn't feel like trying to be cheap and going for some shady "driver" that turned out to be some kind of real crook... I'll be sure to count my change though. Still have not gotten used to the Thai currency.

last, fattman, I'll try my luck on GayRomeo, although I have never had good results with online date/fuck finders... Thanks for the cultural tips too everyone!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If you are limited for time, I would NOT bother with Pattaya unless you are 60+years old, out of shape and just happy to go to go-go bars. If you are on the young side...late 20's - 30's or good looking in the 40's stay in Bangkok. Though I live in Pattaya ( my job is near by) I prefer to go to BKK on weekends. Soi 4 Silom in Bangkok is the first place to go to and pick up Spice Magazine (free) in any of the bars there...Telephone or Balcony Bar. Then sit outside and study the map while having your drink at one of the outside tables to also people watch. Then, if you're into clubs, walk down to soi 2 along Silom and go to DJ's Station (upstairs, you'll run into the "welcome committee" (many of the Thai guys that greet you will be commercial ). One of the best stage shows (lip sync) starts at DJ's at 11:30. Around 2am...then you can go down Silom and hit soi 2.5...or where Richard's Restaurant is, and go to the gay dance club G.O.D. There you see some good Asian beef with their shirts off by 3am. (usually closes after 5am). Another "night venue" is to go to where the go-go clubs are with the Xshows and that is soi Twilight called Soi Duangthawee off Suriwong Road. There, you can pick out your fellow and see a X show which starts around 10pm. Also another place you must go to is the Babylon sauna. When you jump in the taxi from the Silom area, you say to the taxi drier Sathorn, soi 1...then soi Babylon (or google it to fine the soi it it on). The concern you should have like you would any place is to make sure you put any valuables away inside of your hotel room. A good hotel will take the guy's ID card from him which he will be use to. He gets it back from the hotel desk when he leaves. In my opinion, you want to stay in a hotel in the Silom area and near the Skytrain.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Go to DJ Station and GOD... world's easiest pick up joints. Though, many of the boys are moneyboys.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyD
    let's just say he's a top who is interested but inexperienced (to a degree) in BDSM.
    Let's just say you should take the degree exams before you hurt someone. A top who has bottomed knows what he's giving out. There are some Bangkok based guys with "special interests" hanging out on the Thailand pages of www.recon.com.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyD
    Is there a gym that would do a short membership (3 weeks or so) around Silom? I work out in my hotel room (Om Yim Lodge, need a little bit more time here before I deliver any kind of real verdict on the accommodations), but I'd really like a gym. Doesn't need to be luxurious, just a place with some weights really.

Is there any point in going to Pattaya for a day trip? I sorta booked a place in Bangkok already, so I'd rather not pay for two places for the same night if I can avoid it.
    Try California Wow-X on the corner of Silom Road and Soi Convent, directly opposite Silom Soi 4 (Telephone, Balcony etc). It's an excellent gym with all the equipment you could want and plenty of eye-candy too They did have promotion for a 1-month membership for only 100 baht, but are currently offering a 'free' 7-day pass. Just drop in and negotiate hard for a deal that suits you - everything is negotiable here but they will try to screw you. Company policy, not a reflection on Thais or Thailand.

b) I'd give MBK a wide berth as it is a fire-trap. (BTW the food hall downstairs in Siam Paragon is amazing.)
    Yes, but the food hall on the 5th Floor at MBK ('The 5th') is bettr and the food hall on the 5th Floor at ZEN ('Food Loft') is even better still.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzone
    Sen Yai answers this question:
    What are some places to avoid?
    With this answer:
    Pattaya
    -So why is that Sen Yai ???
    I think it was hedda who first dubbed Pattaya as 'Shitsville' and I think she had it just right. Unlike Colonel Homintern I have actually been there but I won't be rushing back anytime soon. My reasons are summarised nicely in this thread by thrillbill. It's horses for courses I suppose, and I am not an old nag yet.

LuckyD, I will be in town this weekend. Drop me a PM if you want to meet up.
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    One of the best stage shows (lip sync) starts at DJ's at 11:30.
    Best compared to what? more like the worst in BKK. Many of the locals actually stay in Soi 4 and see the show at 9 Club to avoid the boring show at DJ and go to DJ later.