Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teak to order?

Teak to order?

Anyone know or is involved where I can get some well made teak fittings made to order in Bangkok? I need lids to eight large Chinese pots about a meter across and 1,5 long, oval. They need to hinge in the middle so can be left half open or completely closed during typhoons. Doing a trip soon but would like to know before I leave so I don't have to spend too much time scouting. Preferably Burmese marine quality teak or equivalent as its for outdoors and a wet environment, used or recycled no problem as long as its in good weather proof condition and has been cleaned up and most importantly not treated or varnished as its to cover precious pet fish, last thing I want is to kill these fish with leaching poison during rain.

Now comes the thanks in advance bit. Well you never know. :tongue6:

Re: Teak to order?

Ok here's a sweetener????

Liked

I'd suggest you post your "query" on the housing forum at ThaiVisa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Real-Esta ... 9d87b6b53c

The people here put an entirely different meaning to D.I.Y. than you might find useful.

...or maybe since it involves pet fish, the pets & plants forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Plants-Pe ... d-f81.html

Well so many people who post here live and work there I thought there must be at least one lumber jack........anyway I always prefer doing business with men who love men.

Found a saw mill in Bangkok full of hot men with their shirts off. Thought of ordering planks. I need wood and desperately, the poor fish are being battered by the sun wind and rain.

Thanks for the link I will try them too.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I thought there must be at least one lumber jack

Found a saw mill in Bangkok full of hot men with their shirts off.
    Well, if you could post some photos of these shirtless men, the interest in woodwork here would probably increase exponentially.

Fattman carp are quite hardy, these are delicate little things, they need shelter and shade not suffocation. Too much sunshine and the water turns green and stinks and the poor little fish rot up into a foul soup, too little sunshine and they turn pale and anaemic. There are small gaps between the planks. Half folds backwards all an inch or so above the water so air can come and go as freely as it pleases underneath. The fishes can swim into the sunlight when ever they feel like it except in a hurricane when I will close the other half so it doesn't fill with leaves.

I have it all planned just need a good looking Thai carpenter to work to specification?

This is the place you need:

http://americanairlines.wcities.com/en/ ... ecord.html

You will find shops there that will make anything for you.

As far as teak goes you need to be careful as most of the new teak around is quickly harvested and not properly treated (smothered in water for years) and will crack easily and quickly, especially in dry environments. The British devastated Thailand's teak forests over a half century ago and immature trees are now rushed to market. You're likely to end up with custom made lids that crack within a year. Old teak is available. However, say, a furniture shop specializing in antique furniture (manufactured prior to WWII) that has a supply of old teak on hand for repair of it's antique furniture probably doesn't have the size and the facilities to craft a custom oval shaped lid. Anyway, make sure your using OLD teak, maybe like that from the pylons of old Chiang Mai houses that are disassembled for their wood.

Thanks for all the advice. Ponbkk yep getting the right wood is important. I would prefer Burmese "marine quality" wood (like they use for yacht decking) it costs a fortune and is not sustainably harvested, unfortunately it is also the best for a lifetime of outdoor use, the Thais import quite a lot of it. Young wood harvested from trees of forty years or younger is also unsuitable. The cover would be slatted so cracking although not desirable...anyway maybe thin slats wouldn't crack?

Actually quite by chance few years ago I was plant shopping somewhere outside Bangkok and came across a long long road dotted with huge recycled teak ware houses. Some nice stuff spent a good time browsing through them till I thought my driver was going to drop dead of boredom. Thanks for the tip should I decide to buy the wood myself I now know what to look for. The Pylons would need to be milled into planks though, hmmm.

Yep Fattman Im still in Hong Kong I would import. Filters and things are not necessary as each pot meter tall meter wide 1.5 long houses only two little fish, once a week they get a vacuum and a top up of water.

Well here I am again just setting off for Bangkok and the boys in red come out to play. Hope Im not left stuck at the airport.

Actualy anyone know outside of Chatuchup best place to get fishy products like medicated fish food, medigold etc. I have flower bulbs on order so I will be at the market but thought maybe there was another large fishy area? Just since they built the mall a huge chunk of Bangkoks most famous of famous world renown markets is suddenly relative to its former self at least quite tiny. Stupid idea that mall, it's a tacky show of disgraceful greed. I wonder who's idea that was?

I am visiting a saw-mill or two for my wood. I wonder if there is a secrete to getting good price? How does one flatter to get excellent deal and immediate desire to sell at cost . Im dreading the price of teak. I just know people are going to look at me queerly when I tell them how much my fish covers cost. Last thing I want is to appear excessive in these hard times. Er do I ask about the grand mother? Who is the most important member of the family? I love them already especially the sons.

I do in fact have an enormous amount of sincere respect and love for the Thai of course.