Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy hour in Boyztown

Happy hour in Boyztown

One of the points I hear from many visitors to Pattaya and in particular Boyztown is the price of drinks.

To be paying 140-180 Baht for a drink in most gogos limits people to having one drink and making a run for it, never mind wanting to invite a boy for a drink. A night out in Boyztown can be very expensive, particularly if you want to check out the talent in a few bars, and take home a friend for the night.

It seems that only one gogo bar o(Wild West) offers a Happy Hour (8:30 to 10:00PM) for all drinks at 99 Baht, and have been doing it for a long time. Lucky 7 were offering draft beer at 100 Baht and I believe Oscar's and Panorama do as well but not sure of the times.

I had a regular coffee outside Ambiance coffee shop (not outside BBB) for 140 Baht - No wonder no one sits there! Even Starbucks is only 60-70 Baht for a far superior cup, and Cafe Royale is 70 Baht. Have the bar owners heard there is a recession out there, or are they happy pricing themselves out of he market?

Anyway, many of my visiting friends seem to prefer spending time in the many bars in Jomtien Complex where you can get pissed for not too much money, and have a far better time. I believe it the same in Sunee.

Liked

Re: Happy hour in Boyztown

yes, whilst I do like Boystown I think you have a very fair point here. If the drinks were the same price as in Phuket (typically B100 even in show bars) I would have rather more than I do now, as at B150+ per drink I don't feel like I'm getting good value! Typically there are four of us when we out out, so the bast part of B1,000 for a round of drinks doesn't sit easily!

I too like Jomtiem as an alternative .... especially Question Mark bar who also do an excellent coffee!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Liked

140 to 150 baht seems to have become the usual price range in Boystown. The prices have certainly crept up, and I'm more concious of it than a few years back.

Lucky 777 does have 100 beer all night. Wild West Boys does have a justifiable price, in view of the numbers of staff and showboys preset. Some other bars don't seem to offer enough to justify their prices.

As well, some of the Boystown bars do seem to have fewer dancers than might be expected. Numbers seem noticably down, and cuteness, while in the eyes of the beholder, also seems less evident.

Bangkok prices are ridiulous, and I'm one of those almost given up completely on Soi Twilight: too expensive, too aggresive, too smoky, too much attitude. Where did the fun go?
    ..........and that's the way it is.

Liked

Happy night Krazy Dragon all drinks all night 110bht after 12am all customers drinks 99bht :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :cheers:
    Some one once said the customer is always right, Correct if you only ever want one customer.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You'll get some "new timers" saying that the inflated prices are needed in ordre to pay for the AC, electricity, mama-san, the boys... But, if a place charged a more reasonable price, I think they would make up for the price differnce with the volume. - NO Brainer. By the way I usually go to BKK on weekends, but what is it like in Jomtien for night life? About 7 months ago, it looked bleak.

Liked

In Michael Burchalls book he confirms that the boystown bars (pattayaland soi 3) have an agreeement to set the prices at the levels they are... I guess the other Pattayaland bars just follow suit...

In days gone by i would often see a farang order 2-3 drinks each when waiting and watching the shows in BBB/Copa/Throb...

These days all i ever see is people nursing their 160B drink for 1 hour++
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

If i go out for a drinking spree i will now go to the girlie bars, more fun and a huge drop in prices compared to the boy bars, thats a no brainer.
    I spoke into his eyes. " I thought you died a long,-- a long long time ago".
    " OH NO! not me, i never lost control, your face to face with the Man who sold the world"

As long as there is no pricing cartel in the other Pattaya gay areas, ultimately the market will decide whether the Boyztown prices will stick.
    Boyztown/Pattayaland has some nice bars & arguably the only place in the world with an equally wide choice of bars AND lower prices is Sunee.

Liked

Well they certainly need to do something QUICK as tourists wont accept these prices much longer . I agree on a comment before about the cafe royals tea at ┬г1.63 a pot!! dearer than most 4 star hotels and certainly a lot dearer than the uk !

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by neddy3
    140 to 150 baht seems to have become the usual price range in Boystown. The prices have certainly crept up, and I'm more concious of it than a few years back.
    There have been excessive price increases for some years. The yearly raise has been in the upper single digit level since the year 2000/2001. This statement is not made up from gut feeling, but I just took a look at my written notes of the past years:
    Throb:
    year 1999: 100 (glass of beer)
    2000: 110
    2002: 120
    2004: 140
    2007: 150
    2008: 160

A-Bomb:
    2000: 90
    2003: 100-120 (beer or gin tonic)
    2006: 130-140
    2008: 160-180

Lucky 777 does have 100 beer all night. Wild West Boys does have a justifiable price, in view of the numbers of staff and showboys preset. Some other bars don't seem to offer enough to justify their prices.
    I would like to share this argument regarding WWB: Although I dont like this bar in particular, because of the arrogance bordering sometimes on insult of some of their staff (waiters and dancers), I think there should be some price difference in drinks according to what the bar has to offer. I regard 140-150 B as OK for a gogo featuring real talent, but it is ridiculously over-priced for the run-of-the-mill gogo bars, which dominate the scene in numbers.

As well, some of the Boystown bars do seem to have fewer dancers than might be expected. Numbers seem noticably down, and cuteness, while in the eyes of the beholder, also seems less evident.
    In theory smaller number of boys and them being less handsome should translate into lower prices. Of course, as this is Thailand, this principle does not apply. Sticking to this pricing policy leads to most of the bar owners pricing themselves out of the market, i.e. going bankrupt. Nevertheless, I bet, that these people would never admit, that it was there bad management and not the "difficult" and "envious" farang customers...

Bangkok prices are ridiulous, and I'm one of those almost given up completely on Soi Twilight: too expensive, too aggresive, too smoky, too much attitude. Where did the fun go?
    I have to agree 100%. Soi Twilight has become a no-no to me and my bf. Moreover, I dont stay in BKK more than one day at any occassion any more, because having to meet these prices and being denied real choice any more, it simply lacks fun to go there for gay nightlife.
    A few years back there was a vivid scene in Saphan Kwai - it is a shadow of its former self now.
    Soi Twilight is a monopoly market place.
    Solid and My Way dont belong to this monopoly, but they are not able any more to feature handsome and caring boys any more, like they did in the past.