List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report Part V: Lions & Tigers & Bears . . .

Liked

Trip Report Part V: Lions & Tigers & Bears . . .

Ok, so no lions or bears - but this is a gay board after all so how could I not through a Judy Garland reference in? So thereтАЩs a new tourist attraction in Chiang Mai, and while I usually avoid anything billed as a tourist attraction. I have to admit this one was worth the trip. Not that I had a choice. IтАЩd already given Noom, my bar boy friend from Bangkok, the right to decide where we went and what we did on our trip north. So after climbing out of bed at 11 am (it was an early day yesterday) we headed off to Tiger Kingdom to play with tigers. You can get there cheaply by baht bus, but with our late start on the day I opted to grab a driver from in front of the hotel negotiating a price of 300 baht for the day (Tiger Kingdom, an Elephant Camp, and various wats Noom needed to see). Good call. Air conditioning. And someone for Noom to chat with in Thai.

At the entrance to Tiger Kingdom you have a choice. Or several of them. The easiest is to forgo actually getting into a cage with any tiger and just roam through the grounds. Though I think that would be quite boring. Otherwise you can choose to visit with the adult tigers (300 baht) the teenage tigers (300 baht) or the baby cubs (500 baht). Now if I wasnтАЩt the nice person that I am, IтАЩd make some rude comment here about the Thais always willing to sell off their young for the right price, but I wonтАЩt go there. And I just pissed a whole bunch of you off anyway. Go for it: spew out your anger - I wonтАЩt read any of your drivel anyway. But back to the tigers . . .

Noom had done wonderfully making decisions so far on the trip. But this one had him stumped. Here were three choices and he had to pick one without knowing which IтАЩd prefer. His hesitation quickly turned into a downright lack of response. Which the lady booking the тАШvisitsтАЩ mistook as a shrewd bargaining tactic and offered up a visit with both the adults and the teenagers for 500 baht total. Done deal. As we headed off to the first compound (cage in any other language) I asked him, тАЬSo which one did you really want to do?тАЭ
    тАЬWhich one you wanted?тАЭ he replied.
    тАЬI asked you first,тАЭ was my comeback.
    тАЬBut I wanted to know firstтАЭ was his.

IsnтАЩt it amazing the cute little conversations you have when youтАЩre in love? So first up were the teenagers - tigers 8 - 10 months old. There is a warning sign they make you read first that says to approach the tigers from behind, not to touch their face or head and a few more directions which we both promptly ignored. There were four tigers in the cage, all dozing. A falang trainer was there to explain about the tigers and there were several Thai guys holding small sticks who hover over you and the tiger. I assumed the sticks were some form of protection in case you pissed off one of the tigers but they seemed rather small to accomplish that job in my estimation. I thought an elephant gun, or at least a 500,000 volt taser would have been more appropriate.

Now IтАЩve seen the Thai version of construction safety standards so I wasnтАЩt feeling totally secure with the idea of cuddling up next to one of these wild beasts regardless of how тАШsafeтАЩ they were suppose to be. Yeah, big brave falang . . . but then I can always claim being a faggot as justification for any lack of manliness. NoomтАЩs straight. And Thai. So he immediately laid down put his arm around one, his head on its side and started rubbing its ears. тАЬUh, donтАЩt touch its head,тАЭ the trainer warned.

Noom smiled. And picked up a blade of grass and started to tickle the tigerтАЩs nose. That woke the beast up. тАЭUh, donтАЩt touch his face,тАЭ the trainer warned with a bit more concern in his voice as I contemplated what kind of bar fine I was going to have to pay for a dead bar boy.

Noom smiled. But the tiger just rolled over to have his belly scratched, quite content to allow Noom to have his way. IтАЩd hate to think so, but part of me believes they have these tigers on some serious downers. But then thatтАЩs the part of me that also figured it was safe enough to play with one myself and I was soon nestled up against a female tiger pulling her paws onto my lap and scratching her ears like a total idiot. I think the trainer decided we were both fools and would get whatever we deserved as he quit warning us about touching their heads. The other three tourists in the cage with us stood watching with looks of awe and admiration at our bravery . . .or maybe those were looks of disbelief at our stupidity. Having tamed the teenagers we headed off to the adults.

Now to be a bit more accurate, these guys (and gals) are not full adults. I guess even the Thai know better than to throw falang into a cage with full grown tigers. The тАШadultsтАЩ are 12 - 14 months old. At 18 months they have to separate the girls from the boys. But they are a good deal larger than their teenage counterparts. And more awake, too. Mmmmmm, I thought. Maybe they need to adjust their medication. But what the hell, IтАЩd already survived one tiger encounter so the gods were either looking over us or not. Besides, you have to admit getting mauled to death by a tiger would be a pretty cool way to go out. This group wasnтАЩt quite as docile as the previous bunch but still tolerated hugs and stroking - not unlike straight bar boys, theyтАЩll put up with your attention as long as you donтАЩt go too far. For 100 baht the handlers will take about 100 photos of you with the tigers (comes on a CD). Great souvenir. IтАЩve got a great shot of Noom and a tiger eyeball to eyeball staring each other down. If I can figure how to post it, I will. ItтАЩs amazing the totally insane things youтАЩll do when on holiday that youтАЩd never even consider at home!

So Tigers done, check . . . off to the elephants. Any one of these camps is worth a visit and all offer a ride through the jungle for various prices. New for Noom, but IтАЩd done one years before and knew how boring riding an elephant is after the first 5 minutes. The cheapest ride was for 15 minutes and it took some hard bargaining to get them to agree to a five minute ride for the same price (falang are sooooo strange!) But afterwards Noom agreed five minutes was plenty, and in fact joked, тАЬTwo better.тАЭ

The show was cute (elephants pulling logs, elephant swaying to music, elephants playing soccer, elephants challenging falang to dart throwing competition - and winning). The highlight was having the elephants paint pictures, which I guess all the camps are doing now. And though I guess it is only a matter of training, some of those pictures were pretty fucking amazing. And you can buy one for 2,000 baht. Right. Guess IтАЩm just not that much of a patron of the arts.

We ended the day visiting three wats - havenтАЩt the slightest idea which three. I mean each is unique and has something different about it, but after youтАЩve seen a few dozen they all tend to blur. That night we finally hit the Night Market - yep, itтАЩs big, but then how many fake Tiffany jewelry booths do you really need to see? Though if you are a first time visitor to Thailand and just have to buy souvenirs, with the proper amount of bargaining youтАЩll get cheaper prices at Chiang MaiтАЩs Night market than anywhere in Bangkok.

The next day we made the pilgrimage to the handicraft villages (yawn). I guess itтАЩs something everyone has to do at least once. Every driver in Chiang Mai wants to take you on this excursion. ThatтАЩs cuz they get food, money and bottles of whiskey for delivering you to the various factories and showrooms - and get even more if you buy something. Everything you see at these places youтАЩll also see back in town at half the price. You can arrange one of these tours for 50 baht and up. My advice would be to not take a tuk tuk - private car is air conditioned and much more comfortable. My second piece of advice is to be very firm in not stopping at a carpet factory. These have sprung up in recent years offering extremely over priced carpets from Afganistan and India - the perfect souvenir from Thailand. I think they pass out the biggest bottles of whiskey to drivers because they all want to take you to one nowadays. Pass. Some of the smaller jewelry places are interesting as theyтАЩll show you how they make the merchandise (Educational Tourism). Same for the silk places . . . you can let silk worms crawl about your hand at some of them, Noom had an large Om painted on his T shirt at the umbrella village (тАШcuz heтАЩs Hindu now). And after realizing I wasnтАЩt going to buy him an overpriced gemstone at any of the jewelry factories proceeded to inform the sales clerks that I sold better gems at cheaper prices in the U.S. (that was well received!).

Our next outing of NoomтАЩs choice was the zoo. Primarily to see the pandas. Another one of NoomтАЩs major quests as he knew their names, dates of birth, and more details about each of them than I cared to know. Admission to the zoo ended up being a bit over 600 baht with the tiered falang / Thai prices. We rode the free shuttle to the aquarium first . . . nice layout, kinda cool underwater tunnel to walk through, but overall a bit boring. Noom summed it up with, тАЬNo big fishтАЭ.

At this point the free shuttle becomes a 60 baht shuttle. Which we rode non-stop as Noom had no interest in seeing any other animals. HeтАЩd come for the pandas. So another 100 baht to get into the panda exhibit, and while I was trying to keep good thoughts flowing it ended up being the same as every panda exhibit IтАЩve visited at zoos around the world: Small peak at a tiny portion of a sleeping panda. The female (Ling Ling, I believe) was in her house safe from the prying eyes of visitors. The male was nestled down behind a bunch of trees and if you looked carefully you could spot part of his head. But then having no idea what a pile of panda shit looks like . . . who knows what we were really looking at.

We ended our day at the Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center, which Noom kept (properly) referring to as a Khantoke . HeтАЩd discovered it from talking with one of our drivers and was quite excited to have me experience dinner there, which he described as the place all the locals go to for a dinner out, sitting in large groups on the floor to eat. OK, I did say it was up to him where we went and what we did, so as dreadful as it sounded I smiled and headed off to eat dinner on the floor. Which you do. But the floor is carpeted. And they have nice cushions for you to rest on. And while you are eating, they put on a rather fantastic performance of traditional Thai dances, the performers weaving their way through the crowd. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was only disappointed in having not brought my camera (as the original picture of the evening I had in my head wasnтАЩt promising to be a Kodak moment).

After a day of silver shopping (my purpose of being in Chiang Mai) we headed back to Bangkok and a final night together before I flew off to KL and beyond (though IтАЩll be back in Bangkok in a few weeks, so who knows?)

I usually travel solo, but have traveled with friends before. And have traveled with sex partners before, too. But have never enjoyed myself as much as I did on this trip with Noom. And the really amazing thing to me is that I am just as crazy about him now as I was at the start of the trip - that speaks volumes about the man he is, trust me on that one.

So end of tale. Or tales. For now. Many mahalos to anyone who actually read all of these postings. Hope in addition to my ramblings I provided some information youтАЩll find useful or that I at least amused you for a bit. And if I offended you or pissed you off . . . too fucking bad. Get a life, or at least a sense of humor. Ciao Baby!.
    [attachment=1:scgn5zf9]noom and tiger.JPG[/attachment:scgn5zf9][attachment=0:scgn5zf9]tiger.JPG[/attachment:scgn5zf9]

Attached Images Attached Images
    [i]You say sex tourist like it's a bad thing . . .[/i]

[url="http://bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com"]http://bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com[/url]

Liked

Re: Trip Report Part V: Lions & Tigers & Bears . . .

Rush (geez, hope you're not a Limbaugh), I visited the Tiger Farm in October with the Chiangmai bf; however, we only went into the young and cub pens. I nixed going into the larger cage when I saw one of the "adolescents" yawn and expose a mouth and fangs that easily could accommodate my face and head (besides, I have a general rule that I never pet anything that can eat me).

As Roy and Siegfried found out, "tamed" tigers are still wild animals and, while I wish the Tiger Farm success, I am awaiting my edition of the Chiangmai Mail detailling the mauling of the first falang. If it has to happen (likely in my view), perhaps it can be one of the 450 pound behemouths that occasionally stroll down Dongtan Beach so at least the tigers will be well fed.....

We too had fun at the Tiger Farm (it's located by Mae Rim, about 10 miles northwest of the olde city). Here's a close-up of one of the little pussies:

Liked

Really enjoyed your reports, rush - thanks for posting. Informative and entertaining.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Yet another interesting & amusing report! Well done old chap.
    I guess it's cheaper to rent a car now, that the petrol prices are much lower compared to last year. For our trip last October we had a sawngtaew for half a day at 500Bt(when petrol price was at its peak), which took us to Doi Suthep(wat on a hill) and to a botanical garden. Earlier on we hired a car(plus driver & petrol) for a day costing almost 3000Bt in Chiang Rai, and did a full-day trip to Mae Fa lung(tea plantations), Doi Tung(hill retreat), the Golden Triangle(with a short excusion across the Mekong river to shop in Laos territory- where clothing items were much cheaper compared to prices in Chiang Mai). And lastly we stopped at the amazing white temple, which was captured brilliantly in the previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush, Yet Again
    Ok, so no lions or bears - but this is a gay board after all so how could I not through a Judy Garland reference in?
    Talk to x in pattaya if you want to discuss that topic in detail. He was once dismissed for singing Judy Garland songs in the company showers

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Rush,
    Enjoyed your tales mightily. Thanks for a good read and since I am off to Chiang Mai in May I have now ticked the tiger farm and nixed the factory / carpet shops.

'Good luck to you and I look forward to reading about your next sojourn with Noom.

cheers
    krobbie

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Well it didn't take long.

Was one of the female tigers named Pancake? It seems that darling Pancake has a liking for Christian New Zealand women. Just today on the front page on the New Zealand Herald:

www.nzherald.co.nz/accidents/news/artic ... d=10553684

The tiger didn't eat all of her but took a bite of her leg. Ah big deal. It's just a variaton on the old Lions and Christians story.

Cheers
    krobbie

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Ok, so no lions or bears - but this is a gay board after all so how could I not through a Judy Garland reference in?
    Talk to x in pattaya if you want to discuss that topic in detail. He was once dismissed for singing Judy Garland songs in the company showers
    Well it's probably better than licking the dirty shitholes of the hired help!
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Aunty
    Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Well it's probably better than licking the dirty shitholes of the hired help!
    OMg you guys really don''t like each other much do you. I can certainly understand why...! Its like intellectual opposites and your the one with the brain Aunt y. Homi is still singing ... If I only had a brain... Follow the yellow brick Road. the reason he eats shit holes is he has no dick, he thought the wicked witch said Ill get you my pretty and your little dick too... he was sure it was a reference to him.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by krobbie
    Well it didn't take long.

Was one of the female tigers named Pancake? It seems that darling Pancake has a liking for Christian New Zealand women. Just today on the front page on the New Zealand Herald:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/accidents/new ... d=10553684

The tiger didn't eat all of her but took a bite of her leg. Ah big deal. It's just a variaton on the old Lions and Christians story.

Cheers
    krobbie
    Yep, my Chiangmai bf told me all about it today. She was in the "adult" pen when the tiger took a chomp and she ended up at the hospital here in Chiangmai. I must have ESP or something. Follow the golden rule - don't pet anything that can eat you (I suppose that means Homi is off limits too....).

By the way.....the tiger-chomping incident wasn't in this week's edition of Chiangmai Mail (probably didn't want to upset the tourists here - and there are a lot more here now than the two times I visited last year).