Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Currency Exchange USD: $100тАЩs vs. $50тАЩs vs. $20тАЩs

Liked

Currency Exchange USD: $100тАЩs vs. $50тАЩs vs. $20тАЩs

Does anyone know about the currency exchange rates when it comes to the USD Bank Notes? I remember the last time I was in Thailand there was usually a slightly higher exchange rate for present $100 Bank Notes compared to $50тАЩs and $20тАЩs, $10тАЩs, etc. Are the exchange rates the same for USD $100тАЩs and USD $50тАЩs when going to the bank to convert to Thai Baht?

Keep your Twinkie in the wrapper or your cream may cause trouble.

Liked

Re: Currency Exchange USD: $100тАЩs vs. $50тАЩs vs. $20тАЩs

Quote Originally Posted by 1PR4BKK
    Does anyone know about the currency exchange rates when it comes to the USD Bank Notes? I remember the last time I was in Thailand there was usually a slightly higher exchange rate for present $100 Bank Notes compared to $50тАЩs and $20тАЩs, $10тАЩs, etc. Are the exchange rates the same for USD $100тАЩs and USD $50тАЩs when going to the bank to convert to Thai Baht?
    You always seem to get a better rate on the larger amount $$ ,you will always get a larger exchange rate on $100 Bill compared toa ┬г10 bill.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    same rate for US 100 and US 50 bills, and the rates change daily, if not more frequently and
    different quotes are given in different currency exchange places.

make sure you only bring new currency as any old bills or ripped bills may be refused.
    best bet is to go to your bank and request latest issued bills and crisp new ones or traveller
    checks.. :cat:

Liked
    The $50 and $100 USD bills have the best currency exchange rate.

But even better is the rate for USD Travellers checks. Many banks in the USA offer these free of charge. If they are lost or stolen, American Express will deliver replacement ones to you while in Thailand free of charge.

I always carry them as backups in the event they are needed along with at least 2 ATM Cards.

Rates are published daily:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank ... efault.htm

Liked
    I can't remember the last time my US issued ATM on the plus network did not work in Thailand. Sometimes one ATM is down but 9 times out of ten there's another one from another Thai bank next to it that accepts the card. Often the reason it did not accept the card is that the machine was just out of cash.

Years ago you needed all these back-ups, now not so. There's more ATM's then Thai boys willing to go wif you.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for your input.

I am finally here after a rough travel experience, which I will go into at another time.

I did discover that the $100's and $50's carry the same exchange rate. I was still lad that I requested newer bank notes because there was another American in line ahead of me exchanging about $5,000 and was given at least half back because they were not newer bills...that sucks.

Anyway, I hope I get a chance to see some of you guys during my stay here.
    Keep your Twinkie in the wrapper or your cream may cause trouble.

Liked
    Sorry you had a bad journey. Never mind, you are in LOS now, and you will soon get over it. Enjoy your holiday.

I was still lad that I requested newer bank notes because there was another American in line ahead of me exchanging about $5,000 and was given at least half back because they were not newer bills...that sucks.
    I understand that there are a lot of forgeries of older design US dollars in SE Asia and that banks throughout the region may be reluctant to accept them.

Re: Thanks Guys

I was still lad that I requested newer bank notes because there was another American in line ahead of me exchanging about $5,000 and was given at least half back because they were not newer bills...that sucks.
    For some reason Thai money changers at the banks will not exchange any US $ note that is even mildly imperfect, such as a very, very, very small cut or tear. Considering that the newspapers here are full of stories about how easy it is to forge 1000 baht notes this is a bit one sided.

Liked

Thanks guys for your input.
    another American in line ahead of me exchanging about $5,000 and was given at least half back because they were not newer bills...that sucks.
    You have to figure that the guy/girl sitting in the booth for hours on end probably makes less than $500 a month and has probably had the bejesus scared out of him/her concerning the consequences if he/she accepts any dubious notes.

Open a Thai bank account and before you come the next time transfer much of what you need via the US branch of that bank. You get a better rate, you can just draw out what you need on a daily basis so you don't have a pocket or hotel room full of cash and whatever's left over can wait for your next visit (when the US dollar might buy fewer baht). I did this for a long time back when I was only spending 3 to 4 months or so in Thailand each year and continue to use the same account and same method of depositing money now that I'm here all the time.

Considering that the newspapers here are full of stories about how easy it is to forge 1000 baht notes this is a bit one sided.
    Not one-sided at all. There's far more fake $100 in circulation than fake baht notes and, besides, these days whenever you hand a clerk a B1000 note she/he does the quick feel & watermark check.

I don't know why some people keep looking for perceived "us versus them" slights. They don't check money in order to feed paranoid feelings amongst overly sensitive farang. They do it to keep their jobs and the little pay they collect each month.

Quote Originally Posted by x in pattaya
    Open a Thai bank account.
    I got a PM from someone who wants me to ask if you had to hum a Judy Garland song at the same time.