Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Flight discounts in the future?

Liked

Flight discounts in the future?

With all of the recent upheaval in Thailand do you think it is realistic to expect the airlines to start discounting international flights there?

I am planning a winter vacation sometime in February/March and as I check the ticket prices from San Diego there don't seem to be any bargains for that period. Eva--which I've flown in the past (through LA) is exorbitant! Do you think it is realistic to expect discounting to Bangkok to appear in the coming weeks? Since most flights are connecting through other Asian cities I am thinking that the airlines won't necessarily discount the fare just because your ultimate destination is Bangkok--though Thai Airways may be a different story.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Just wait

asdsrfr

Just wait until January until the cheap fares come out after the Christmas rush. Even early Feb. Leave the air booking until the last minute and see what happens. I will be going again in April (after my next at end of this month) and I will be waiting to see the best available price. I have less options from New Zealand unless I go Auckland Sydney Bangkok.

Only Thai flies direct from here so will wait and see what crops up.

Cheers
    krobbie

Liked
    One factor on a connecting airline like EVA, what % of the folks on the LAX-TPE (for example) flight normally are going to BKK? Only a % of that % might be down due to the recent Thailand strife. Folks going to TPE, or connecting to SIN, HKG, or elsewhere will still be out in full force. So, if they can still fill the long-haul USA-TPE flight with those passengers, little incentive to lower USA-BKK fares. If the TPE-BKK loads are light, I would expect them to reduce frequencies on that segment and/or put smaller aircraft on the route.

Now, TG's non-stop LAX-BKK flight is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. If they want to keep operating that flight, I think some lower fares might be needed to fill it up. Or, just as likely, based on observation of Thai Economics 101 (TiT) in application: they will raise the fare, just like a hotel with lower occupancy will raise room rates.
    [size=7][color=#0000FF][i]"quiet1":[/i] the poster previously known as [i]"bkk gwm"[/i][/color][/size]

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Bums in seats / beds

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1
    Now, TG's non-stop LAX-BKK flight is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. If they want to keep operating that flight, I think some lower fares might be needed to fill it up. Or, just as likely, based on observation of Thai Economics 101 (TiT) in application: they will raise the fare, just like a hotel with lower occupancy will raise room rates.
    You are quite right on this count. I can never quite get my head around the Thai thinking of hiking prices instead of lowering them and getting more patrons in the planes, beds, bars or whatever. It never ceases to amaze me but there is much to be amazed about in Thailand.

Cheers
    krobbie

Liked
    Actually I think that the Thai Airways flight from Lax is no longer nonstop--they may be able to make revenue on the Lax-Narita portion alone.

Fares to Brazil are quite low at present--and with the strength of the dollar there it's a relative bargain--and oh those guys on the beach in Rio! Maybe there instead!

and what about...

the financial downturn?

Almost all airlines were already suffering due to the high price of fuel recently; routes were cut and frequency was decreased to save money. With the financial crisis front and centre, Airlines may not offer a lot this time around since there may be few seats available on some routes. Passenger demand may be down for the rest of the world, particularly Thailand now, which could bode well for some Airlines because they won't have to adjust service levels yet. The cheaper seats will sell faster and they'll have less issues finding bums to fill the rest of the plane.

Who knows, I'm have my fingers crossed and hope there will be some great seat sales come Jan/Feb.

With gas prices dropping even below what they were a year ago you would think the airlines would discontinue the fuel surcharges.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthai
    With gas prices dropping even below what they were a year ago you would think the airlines would discontinue the fuel surcharges.
    They should be cut!

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthai
    exactly my thinking. gas in the usa has gone from over $4 per gallon to under $1.50. with lost revenues from bkk being closed, you'd think thai airways and others would be offering incentives to encourage travelers.

but the rates i see when scheduling a flight from LAX to BKK in early March are the same rates i paid for a last minute flight a month ago. ting tong!!

i don't even see Thai Airways offering many flights. dates selected months ahead are listed on their site as "sold out." that doesn't make sense unless they've been forced to cut back severely on flights even that far ahead.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by asdsrfr
    Actually I think that the Thai Airways flight from Lax is no longer nonstop--they may be able to make revenue on the Lax-Narita portion alone.
    Despite the reports earlier in the year that TG was going to make it a one-stop flight and/or swap it to a less gas guzzling 777, it's still a daily non-stop on the A340-500. Just a day or so ago, there was a press release with announced TG flight cuts (see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-A...l-t227684.html, and the BKK-LAX flight goes to 4x per week after 28March:

[edited to add url to TG flight cuts post, and to correct the date the LAX flight gets reduced]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [size=7][color=#0000FF][i]"quiet1":[/i] the poster previously known as [i]"bkk gwm"[/i][/color][/size]