Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand on 'most dangerous' list for travellers

Thailand on 'most dangerous' list for travellers

Thailand on 'most dangerous' list for travellers

Web www.bangkokpost.com

Thailand has made the list of the Top 20 Most Dangerous Places as compiled by the Telegraph newspaper of London.

The latest edition of the list puts Thailand as the seventh most-dangerous spot for travellers behind Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya, South Africa, Somalia and Sudan. Thailand is said to be more dangerous than Colombia and Haiti at the moment.

It justifies the Thai spot on the list because of "major political demonstrations and a temporary state of emergency" at the two Bangkok airports.

It also cites the continuing demonstrations around Government House, the Cambodian-Thai fighting on the bordefr, and "civil unrest and frequent attacks" in the deep South.

The British "Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to these areas," the newspaper said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=132361

Over reaction

Me thinks a little over reaction to what are on going local issues. However if I was stuck in Thailand (or trying to get in) I may think differently.

We should be grateful for this event. Last week there was a grand rehearsal for the next big funeral. This week we have Bangkok shut down by a few skirmishes that may be a rehearsal for the civil war to come after that funeral.

Daily Telegraph

You must bear in mind that this right-wing newspaper (formerly owned by the tycoon/convict known as Conrad Black), has a notional readership of gin and tonic drinkers in Surrey Golf Club bars; they regard a journey into multi-ethnic London as a venture into Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
    And anyway, places that seem a little dangerous are far more interesting than those without "edge", I always find.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Daily Telegraph

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson
    You must bear in mind that this right-wing newspaper (formerly owned by the tycoon/convict known as Conrad Black), has a notional readership of gin and tonic drinkers in Surrey Golf Club bars; they regard a journey into multi-ethnic London as a venture into Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
    Very funny!

I like your comment

Yes, sometimes a place a bit 'edgy' can add a modecum of adventure to an otherwise staid holiday.
    Everytime I passed the border into Mexico, I thought my heart rate went up just a bit, until I left the country. Not altogether a bad experience.

Liked

That 'Tinge of Bitch' again

Definitely an over reaction. Not dangerous unless you seek it out. There is some complex political play going on and so long as you keep out of the way along with the other 99.9% of people with real lives then no problem. May be 'Yellow Rentacrowd' will conflict with 'Red Rentacrowd' but if that removes some of them from the gene pool this will be a positive development. Just a tinge...

Re: That 'Tinge of Bitch' again

Quote Originally Posted by anakot
    Definitely an over reaction. Not dangerous unless you seek it out. There is some complex political play going on and so long as you keep out of the way along with the other 99.9% of people with real lives then no problem. May be 'Yellow Rentacrowd' will conflict with 'Red Rentacrowd' but if that removes some of them from the gene pool this will be a positive development. Just a tinge...
    I have a Belgium friend living in BKK 20 years now.

Now he is on his way to Laos he mail me it never been like this in Thailand.

Him scare to stay in BKK.

As i know him , " real not an over reaction " !

This is civil war !!!

Grenade wounds dozens of PAD protesters

Web www.bangkokpost.com

(BangkokPost.com) Another grenade attack on protesters at Government House has wounded at least 34 people, the People's Alliance for Democracy said early on Sunday.

A PAD broadcast on ASTV said the grenade was fired from outside Government Houseand landed among protesters.

The wounded were taken to hospital.

There have been several attacks from 40mm grenade launchers in the past two weeks on PAD areas, killing one person. The grenades have been fired from Vietnam-era M79 launchers, which are common in the armed forces.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=132384

Re: Daily Telegraph

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson
    And anyway, places that seem a little dangerous are far more interesting than those without "edge", I always find. The Telegraph must not be worth reading.

------------My my, we live in a very safe and peaceful world if Thailand is the 7th most dangerous place.

Liked: 1

Re: That 'Tinge of Bitch' again

Quote Originally Posted by baziel

This is civil war !!!

oh truck

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pj2Nutu5v8&eurl=http://www.siamtv.org/youtube.php[/youtube]
    Ofcourse I go with other Falang, it's my job, but you are the only one I love :)