Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wai question

Liked

Wai question

I have a question about the Wai and it is NOT when to wai.......I fully expect that discussion to begin but it's not what I care about at this point....I have already read far to much about when to Wai and to whom and it is not clear at all.....
    My question is this. Do you keep your hands steady and lower your head to your hands or, do you move both hands and head about the same amount together (up and down)? I have seen it both ways described.

Liked

Thanks!

Good info....
    Now, does anyone know the answer to my mechanics question of exactly the how to wai properly.....maybe it changes under certain conditions? I'm not going to sweat this I am just curious by nature....I realize I will be forgiven if I do it wrong.....but any one have an answer?

Re: Wai

Quote Originally Posted by topjohn5
    Good info....
    Now, does anyone know the answer to my mechanics question of exactly the how to wai properly.....maybe it changes under certain conditions? I'm not going to sweat this I am just curious by nature....I realize I will be forgiven if I do it wrong.....but any one have an answer?
    The mechanics 'as you say' is incredibly complicated. You should not in any circumstance either give or return a wai but be courteous and bow the head lightly to acknowledge the compliment.

The two answers above are correct.

Re: Wai question

Do you keep your hands steady and lower your head to your hands or, do you move both hands and head about the same amount together (up and down)? I have seen it both ways described.
    If you think about it sensibly, you will realise the answer may lie in prestidigitation.

The amount of independent movement your nose is capable of in the vertical plane in is a few centimetres - acheived by effectively nodding your head. Any other raising or lowering of your head also requires the rest of your body move in the same direction.

On the other hand, your hands have a much larger arc of travel relative to your face. They can go from below your waist to above your head.

So, think about it carefully again, and you will realise that the answer lies, as in most things connected with Thailand, not in what you actually do, but in what you appear to do.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Kun Jon

Here is a Thai Airlines advert. It shows how to wai and you can watch and watch again. When to wai, I can't help you with that. Up to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKA8OKGRI3A&NR=1

Cheers
    krobbie

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: Thanks!

Good info....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDn5IPQZR34[/youtube][/google]

Liked

I have a question about the Wai and it is NOT when to wai.......I fully expect that discussion to begin but it's not what I care about at this point....I have already read far to much about when to Wai and to whom and it is not clear at all.....
    My question is this. Do you keep your hands steady and lower your head to your hands or, do you move both hands and head about the same amount together (up and down)? I have seen it both ways described.
    Under no circumstances should foreigners wai Thais.
    The Thais don't expect it and very often they see it as another example of farangs making fools of themselves.
    I sat at the little bar at the entrance to Soi Twilight recently and watched a farang wai his bar-boy friends as they passed by in pursuit of their careers. I'm not an expert on Thai culture but I know he broke at least half a dozen folkways and maybe a few mores right there.

Liked

The head/hand movements you describe are not that important, so don't worry about it.
    The most important parts of the 'wai' is in (1) WHO you wai, (2) WHY you wai, and (3) How HIGH you wai. It is all quite structured and my advice would be ... in farang ignorance about the complications (and as Thaiquest advises), don't wai at all. Just a nice gentle smile to Thais who wai to you is all that's necessary, or expected.

If you insist on wai-ing, then go ahead, no one will think less of you. Keep your wai at chin level, certainly not higher than the tip of your nose. Make the wai a gentle and slow movement of upward hands toward a very slightly bent head (but ever so slightly, if at all . . . it's not necessary to 'bend' head' at all). If you have an umbrella or a large dildo in one hand, then a one-handed wai is quite exceptable.

I regularly wai the very old mother (85 or older) of our landlady. She's a lovely old soul, and takes my wai with a big craggy smile. It also serves the purpose of the not unimportant brown-nosing of our dear landlord.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand