Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: All Hail the King

All Hail the King

If Americans think their elections are ugly, they should mosey on over to Thailand. The Wall Street Journal reports on the resurgence of "l├иse-majest├й"тАФa 100-year-old law against insulting the king that can entail sentences of 15 years. The king himself has stated that the law is unneeded, but it has become a handy tool for politicians looking to silence their opponents. "It's the ultimate weapon in Thai society," said one of the accused. How is it misused? One BBC correspondent is under investigation for placing a picture of a Thai politician above a picture of the king on the BBC web page.

Want to read more? Click here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122411457349338545.html

Re: All Hail the King

Quote Originally Posted by Taschizzie
    The king himself has stated that the law is unneeded...
    A rather disingenuous statement, given the Palace's own use of it

Fuelling the pyre

This week's Economist has a story about the role of the Thai royals in the PAD demonstrations. One paragraph remarks
    It is also unclear how much of the reverence that the king himself enjoys also extends to other royals, since all discussion of such matters is forbidden by a harsh l├иse-majest├й law. There will be many whispered private conversations about whether the queenтАЩs intervention is helpful in healing the deep divide that splits the government and opposition, and about where the various royals may stand on the issue. But no public debate.
    The rest of the story is at http://www.economist.com/world/asia/dis ... d=12437715

Liked

Re: Fuelling the pyre

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    This week's Economist has a story about the role of the Thai royals in the PAD demonstrations. One paragraph remarks
    It is also unclear how much of the reverence that the king himself enjoys also extends to other royals, since all discussion of such matters is forbidden by a harsh l├иse-majest├й law. There will be many whispered private conversations about whether the queenтАЩs intervention is helpful in healing the deep divide that splits the government and opposition, and about where the various royals may stand on the issue. But no public debate.
    The rest of the story is at http://www.economist.com/world/asia/dis ... d=12437715
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Homi I read the article, are you a contribitor?

Re: Fuelling the pyre

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Homi I read the article, are you a contribitor?
    No, but great minds think alike, as you're aware

Re: Lese

Quote Originally Posted by fattman
    In the years I've been here it has been applied fairly consistently and regularly.
    It can be rightly said that the law has been applied consistently and regularly but it's application has hardly been fair, especiallly when it has been used by political adversaries to gain an advantage over their opponents.

For Homoturd and the other nit-pickers out there I fully realise that the use of the word 'fair' (and it's derivative) here has two different meanings

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: Lese

Quote Originally Posted by fattman
    I'm in danger here from attacks by certain parties for my lazy use of the queen's English (as opposed to the Queen's English).
    I am fully aware that we all use Queens' English.

(This might be just too subtle for some)

100 years????

I would hazard a guess that this law would be far in excess of 100 years old, different wording and different penalties perhaps, but I'm sure applicable for many centuries.

Re: 100 years????

Quote Originally Posted by bigaussieal
    I would hazard a guess that this law would be far in excess of 100 years old, different wording and different penalties perhaps, but I'm sure applicable for many centuries.
    Correct - it was last amended in 1976, when the maximum prison term was increased.

It has also proved useful to some in the divorce court, in recent times.

The 1848 Treason Felony Act is still "on the books" in the UK and can impose a life jail term for anyone urging the abolishment of the monarchy in print. In 2003 a court challenge by the Guardian newspaper to have it removed failed.