List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: About Pattaya, Sunee Plaza and Boyztown now...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

About Pattaya, Sunee Plaza and Boyztown now...

Hello,

Just wondering about Pattaya... I've never been... is it worth going to?

1. How far is boyztown from Sunee Plaza? Is it walking distance? It's so hard to tell on the map

2. How far is Jomtien Beach from Boyztown?

3. Can anyone recommend a good guesthouse for around 1,000 baht a night? A place with a pool or small gym would be nice...

4. Is Ko Lan island worth going to?...

5. Any bars particularly recommended?

6. Anything I shouldn't miss?

7. How much should I bargain to pay for the taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya?

8. What's the nicest beach to lie on?... and swim at?

9. Anything to watch out for in Pattaya?

Oh, and thanks for anyone who answers... I really really appreciate it... Muah! :-)

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    shoot I even will walk from boystown all the way to Jomtien and back - 3 -4 kilometers each way. I always walk to sunee from boystown, but need a.c soon after arrival and a cold drink.
    the Jomtien hike requires a shower.

Don't leave any bar unsearched. It's all there is to do at night. And the whole reason for my trip there.

Liked
    So many questions, so little time!

Panorama bar in Boystown is a great place to sit and watch the world (and hordes of Japanese tourists) go by. Boys there always polite and friendly.

Would walk to Sunee from Boystown, but taxi or motorbike to Jomtien. The beach at Jomtien is the place to lie out and swim.

For 1000bt you're looking at a good quality hotel with pool, not a guesthouse. I stay at Welcome Plaza, 850bt for a standard, 3 minutes walk from Boystown, 1 block from the beach. Friendly staff and quiet pool area. There are lots of mid-range places around this area.

Hope this helps! I'm going back in September and can't wait!
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked
    Hi Beachlover
    You will find a lot of information on all of these things here if you browse about a bit. The search facility is good.

Guesthouses. For around 1000 baht you can afford a hotel. Basic rooms are available in the Cafe Royale (1100) or the Ambiance (1200) in Boystown. Both been around for many years.

Koh Larn is definitely worth a visit. It has better beaches than anywhere on the mainland. You can get a ferry for (from memory) 20 or 30 baht.

Bars - any recommendations given now will be out of date by September! They change from week to week. Look around, and find a place you like.

Shouldn't miss. Depends on what you want. I would not miss some of the other tourist attractions - Nong Nooch Gardens, the Million Year Old Stone Park and Crocodile Farm, Pattaya Elephant Village etc. - but thats just me.

Taxis from BKK. I would book one through the hotel or failing that, from Image Limos:
    www.imagelimo.com
    This is not the cheapest way of doing it - a metered cab from the rank at BKK will cost you maybe 1500 baht (maybe more considering fuel prices since I was last in Thailand) but, after a 12 hour flight its well worth the extra to have someone meet you in arrivals, take your bags to a car and take you straight to where you want to go. I am too fragile for hassle after that flight!

Any beach is better than Pattaya Beach - you will see that when you get there. I personally think some of the small beaches in North Pattaya (sorry - can't give names - maybe someone here can help) are nicer than Jomtien. Koh Larn has the best beaches of the lot.

Anything to watch out for? No more than anywhere else. If you wear expensive jewellery, flash a thick wad of cash and get drunk in bars then you are likely to have the same problems you would in Sydney, or London, or anywhere else for that matter. Don't leave your common sense at home.

Have fun!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Limos and common sense

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay

This is not the cheapest way of doing it - a metered cab from the rank at BKK will cost you maybe 1500 baht (maybe more considering fuel prices since I was last in Thailand) but, after a 12 hour flight its well worth the extra to have someone meet you in arrivals, take your bags to a car and take you straight to where you want to go. I am too fragile for hassle after that flight!

Anything to watch out for? No more than anywhere else. If you wear expensive jewellery, flash a thick wad of cash and get drunk in bars then you are likely to have the same problems you would in Sydney, or London, or anywhere else for that matter. Don't leave your common sense at home.
    I agree completely about the limo, if the cost is within your reach. Bt 1,200 is around $37USD as of now but seeing your name on a sign as you exit "arrivals", having your luggage tended to and loaded for a relaxed trip (with or without the rest/food/drink/hong nam stop along the way and being delivered to the front door of your lodging is pretty darned nice. I've never used Image, but have had a half dozen or so very timely and professional experiences with drivers from Mr. Toom's limo service. His service fee is 1,200 Baht including tolls and he can be reached by phone at 01-4827148 or 03-0178066. He (or whoever does his email) is prompt to reply if you email them at toom39@msn.com so it's arranged and confirmed before you leave home.

I also agree about using your bigger head to think with when on vacation there. Use common sense and be a considerate guest... it almost always pays off ten-to-one.

The "search" feature here will give you more suggestions for day trips, shopping and places to eat than you could shake a stick at (or, indeed, have time for). I myself have had a couple of nice visits to Nong Nooch Gardens as a relative newbie to Thailand, too. Go when they open in the morning (to avoid the heat - there's very little shade), see the cultural show and expect it to take at least a half day to see much of it.

Have fun, be safe (that means in and out of bed) and please share some stories and observations after your trip!

Re: About Pattaya, Sunee Plaza and Boyztown now...

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Hello,

Just wondering about Pattaya... I've never been... is it worth going to?

1. How far is boyztown from Sunee Plaza? Is it walking distance? It's so hard to tell on the map
    approx. 1,5 km; 10 minutes

2. How far is Jomtien Beach from Boyztown?
    You mean the gay beach? Approx. 4 kms. Can be done with Song Taew (pick up taxi) in 10 mins and 20 THB

3. Can anyone recommend a good guesthouse for around 1,000 baht a night? A place with a pool or small gym would be nice...
    google: "pattaya guesthouse hotel"

4. Is Ko Lan island worth going to?...
    depends on your needs, but Koh Larn is nice and quiet with pretty clean beaches

5. Any bars particularly recommended?
    very personal, dangerous to recommend, but Sunnee is for the younger boys, BoyzTown is more upperclass and Jomtien Plaza is an upcoming area without an own 'identity' at the moment

6. Anything I shouldn't miss?
    the boys

7. How much should I bargain to pay for the taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya?
    after arrival on Suvarnabuhmi, don't que up at the arrival taxi services, but go up to the departure entrances. Taxis drop of travellers there and absolutely willing to give you a ride to Pattaya. Usual fare approx. THB 850 - THB 1,000 (not included tollway)

8. What's the nicest beach to lie on?... and swim at?
    Dongtang Beach (the gay beach) is nice and quiet. No speedboats, jetskis or noisy families with screaming kids, etc. Not very clean on this time of year, but that's no beach on this piece of coast

9. Anything to watch out for in Pattaya?
    No idea, Pattaya is pretty safe. Just if you love to show of with gold or anything shiny, the jealous and needy will take care of you.

Oh, and thanks for anyone who answers... I really really appreciate it... Muah! :-)

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Wow... thanks everyone!

Yeh I have looked through the forum and other sites a lot... but some little specific things (like distances better S an B) it's hard to find answers.

Thanks for the accomodation recommendations... really helpful... welcome plaza, being close to beach and boyztown sounds great. I'm suprised all the accomodation is so cheap in Pattaya compared to other places?

I will get a taxi from my hotel in BKK (not straight off the plane) where I have work for a few days... thanks... it's nice to know what the going rate is. I like haggling... but then if the taxi driver is good, and polite, I often tip 50-100bt... which is ironic after bargaining so hard!... the look on some drivers' faces is priceless... almost like they've been given a million baht haha...

Thanks Bao-Bao, Joseph44, Ceejay, Joe552, dab69... Muah!

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay
    Hi Beachlover
    You will find a lot of information on all of these things here if you browse about a bit. The search facility is good.

Guesthouses. For around 1000 baht you can afford a hotel. Basic rooms are available in the Cafe Royale (1100) or the Ambiance (1200) in Boystown. Both been around for many years.

Koh Larn is definitely worth a visit. It has better beaches than anywhere on the mainland. You can get a ferry for (from memory) 20 or 30 baht.

Bars - any recommendations given now will be out of date by September! They change from week to week. Look around, and find a place you like.

Shouldn't miss. Depends on what you want. I would not miss some of the other tourist attractions - Nong Nooch Gardens, the Million Year Old Stone Park and Crocodile Farm, Pattaya Elephant Village etc. - but thats just me.

Taxis from BKK. I would book one through the hotel or failing that, from Image Limos:
    www.imagelimo.com

Any beach is better than Pattaya Beach - you will see that when you get there. I personally think some of the small beaches in North Pattaya (sorry - can't give names - maybe someone here can help) are nicer than Jomtien. Koh Larn has the best beaches of the lot.

Have fun!
    kewl... I didn't know there were tourist attractions in Pattaya haha... thanks for the tips

great about Ko Lan...

hehe... i only have a 3 hr flight to BKK from nearby... so not too bad... 12hrs is always ouch in economy... but i'm lucky i'm a small build so no where near as bad as for someone bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    I stay at Welcome Plaza, 850bt for a standard, 3 minutes walk from Boystown, 1 block from the beach.
    1 block ?? Try "Approx. 4 kms. Can be done with Song Taew (pick up taxi) in 10 mins and 20 THB"

Quote Originally Posted by joseph44
    BoyzTown is more upperclass
    Compared to what - the garbage collectors? "more upperclass" is as inappropriate for the boys as it is their customers - "commercial" or "self-absorbed" may be more apt.

Liked
    тАЬ1 block ?? Try "Approx. 4 kms. Can be done with Song Taew (pick up taxi) in 10 mins and 20 THB" тАЬ

ItтАЩs one block to Pattaya beach. Even if itтАЩs not loaded with queers it is still a beach.