Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ibis Hotel Opening July 2008 Sathorn Soi 1

Liked

Liked
    I just went by it today and I am told the opening date is Aug 01. It's still not finished but there are workers all over going every which way and it's coming along rather fast but I doubt it will be ready in three weeks. September is a better bet.

They built a new wall/planter on the corner. Odds are the first Chinese tour bus that tries to take the corner will take the wall with them. Speaking of Chinese tours, rumor has it that this hotel will be Tour Bus Friendly.

No Breakfast, no problem O ho's is right across the street and Burt is chompin at the bit in anticipation. There's also several other eateries just down the street.

I got a little tour a few days ago. The lobby is nice but rooms look small and institutional.

The reason the construction got going so fast is that two near-by K-Teck projects went bankrupt and all the workers with K-Teck shirts showed up on the site and worked on the cheap. One of the K-Teck projects was a very nice condo on Sathorn one about 95% finished and the other is what is reported to be a new 4 star hotel on Rama 4. Now just sitting there.

Farangs don't venture far from that corner but if you walk down Soi Sribumphen there's quite a few guest houses and small hotels that are
    better value for your Baht.
    E Dok Tong

Liked
    But 1150 baht is without taxes >>> lowest rate is 1353 baht without breakfast
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Liked
    I just took a look at the photos on the web page, very nice looking and they don't look anything like what's really there.
    E Dok Tong

The hotel on Rama IV is racing upward as I write this. Workers are swarming all over and they've only got 4 more floors to go.

I wonder if the Chinese groups from Ibis will get guided tours through the coffeeshop and lobby of the Malaysia. It is a real gay Bangkok institution, after all.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Stiil 2 months away

My lover rang them yesterday and still 2 months until opening (do they really mean 3?). He was after a job but not hiring yet.

NO POOL! For Gods sake why?

krobbie

Let's hope someone posts regarding their policy on joiners before I visit in the winter.

Ibis rooms usually pretty spare

I checked the website and the virtual tour of a room in the Bangkok hotel seems to show a small and very spare room with minimal decoration. It seems rather similar to the Ibis Arcadia in Jakarta in terms of starkness and simplicity. For my money, the Pinnacle still offers a lot more character at a lower price (if you use Jimmy's services). The staff at the Ibis Arcadia were topnotch friendly and professional though, so, for a change of pace, maybe the Ibis Bangkok would be a good choice.

IBIS Pattaya

There is also an IBIS in Pattaya

463/79 Moo 9 Pattaya Second Road Nhongprue Banglamung

I also noticed that rates for 1 August for 6 nights can be as cheap as 955 bht for a double room. As much as they are McDonalds type accomodation as long as they are clean and comfortable people will stay there. There are some right pits in Pattaya and Bangkok that don't give a hoot how they look and charge the earth.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    Speaking of Chinese tours, rumor has it that this hotel will be Tour Bus Friendly.
    The hotel's website says "100% non-smoking hotel." Chinese tourists would plotz.