Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick update: the bar scene in Chiang Mai

Quick update: the bar scene in Chiang Mai

The bar scene in Chiang Mai continues to be dominated by My Way, Free Guy, and Circle Pub. There are also pick-up establishments in the Night Bazaar; Cream Bar is the one most often mentioned.

The show at Free Guy proceeds as always: copious (and I do mean copious!) amounts of nudity, no drag shows, and the most expensive drinks in Chiang Mai (200 baht). The major change I noticed tonight was at My Way, which has improved enormously over what it had become 3-4 months ago. They still have drag shows (for me, a big big yawn) but there are lots of new faces and cute guys. There is much more nudity, now that Free Guy has blazed the way.

Circle Pub continues to be a bore for me, though I now realize that some of my favorite people in Chiang Mai work there.

The bars in the Night Bazaar area continue to have the reputation of being a cheap place to pick up hill-tribe boys for not very much money. Unfortunately for the Night Bazaar, there is a very strong tendency for the guys to move upscale if they have the looks and the personality to do so.

Doi Boy (I hear) continues as always -- I haven't been there in 15 years. Fan Club is gone. Adam's Apple is still being rebuilt, and scheduled to open in September. Consult your local voodoo expert for the exact date! :-)

Henry,
    Thanks for the update.
    Can you recommend a gay/gay friendly hotel in Chaing Mai that is near the bars?

Everybody seems to like this place...

I live here, and so I don't spend any time at all in hotels, etc.

But lots of people seem to love this place: http://pjs-place.com/

They only have four rooms. I think this is what used to be called "Cherry House." But I am not sure!

Liked

Re: Everybody seems to like this place...

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Cate
    But lots of people seem to love this place: http://pjs-place.com/

They only have four rooms. I think this is what used to be called "Cherry House." But I am not sure!
    There are four rooms and two 'suites' at PJ's Place. It was built by Peter and Jiab specifically as a Guest House....... Cherry House is/was elsewhere.

PJ's is a great place to stay. The rooms have some great touches and the staff, owners and employees, could not be more helpful.

PJs Place

Bwana

Stayed at PJs place in April. Highly recommend it. A short tuk tuk ride to the bars. See my comments on their Guestbook

Ross :flower:

cherry house

is long closed. it was in the dead end section of soi closer to the moat. a great little place.

Re: Quick update: the bar scene in Chiang Mai

Quote Originally Posted by cnx4shan
    Cream bar is the sleaziest bar in Chiang Mai; a regular haunt for aged cheap charlies looking for the underage boys who are there in abundance.
    HE-HE Good News!!! thanks cnx4shan :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: he-he

i not cheap charlie but only looking for money boys! next time i check the abundance.
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

i not look for gay boys. no messy love scene! gay & straight all good but must be pretty money boys i can catch quick and bring to room for sex.

very good you tell me about this! this why i read this SGT for good INFO! he-he

he-he he-he :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: he-he he-he

Is there anyone left who hasn't put naruk on ignore? If not, maybe someone should tell him he doesn't need to bother anymore.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Quisp
    Is there anyone left who hasn't put naruk on ignore? If not, maybe someone should tell him he doesn't need to bother anymore.
    I doubt, other than ES and me, nobody reads you too.

We sadly have to, until you self-destruct again.

Oh, the Perils of Sawatdee Forum! :-0

Only two days ago someone was hauling me over the coals for my "messy friendships," and today I'm a "sexpat." Gee! :-)

I gave my posting a pretty clear title: "A Quick Update to the Chiang Mai Bar Scene." I did not call it a "Guide to Chiang Mai." I go out perhaps 2-3 times a month; last night was one of those nights so I posted what I saw.

Is Circle Pub more Thai-oriented than My Way or Free Guy? I don't think so. All these places have lots of Thai customers. It seems to me that Circle has more "hi-so" pretensions -- that's the thing I notice. Some very nice staff and some paraylyzing shows (yes, they even do the one with the hands reaching out from behind the dancer to caress him.)

I really would only quibble with you about Mandalay and The Glass Onion. Mandalay has a "special charge" for farang: 300 baht for the color of your skin. I think it's probably worth visiting once -- I went once. Small pointy bar stools, huge TVS running nonstop American TV wrestling, and screechy amateur Thai music at peak volume. I lasted there about 15 minutes. The kiddies were loving it, though!

The Glass Onion is a wine bar whose clientele runs about 50% straight -- it's largely a place where hi-so wannabes go to chat with their farang friends. My Thai friends won't set foot in the place: "BORING!" More interesting than either of these places is the WarmUp on Nimmanhemin, although I would point out again that it is designed for a young Thai gay crowd, and at the age of 62 I find I can waste a lot of time there. I figure it makes more sense to devoted my limited carousing time-and-budget to those places which are happy to see me walk in the door. Umm, why bother going where you aren't really wanted???

Whether this makes me a sexpat, or someone prone to form "messy friendships," I leave as an exercise for the reader.