Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can we be introduced to new owners Cafe Royale

Liked

can we be introduced to new owners Cafe Royale

With the passing of Robbie whom many thought would not outlast the two Ians, the end of an era has come.

Whilst I know Mick slightly from his days at Charleys in soi 1 Pattayaland and have met him walking to and from his condo,
    I dont know him as well.

Can we be informed as to who are the new owners, are they local expats or newly arrived. Are there any plans to change the place. Are the two Thais who were the nominal owners/directors remaining? [my terminology as I dont understand Thai law]

Robbie RIP.

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

lonelywombat.

The Cafe is owned by Ian's long time ex business partner who is from and lives in London England he's a very nice quiet straight guy called Craig he has "in actual fact" been the owner there for some years now and has also been financially involved in that business since its beginning. Regarding who owns the shares in the Thai company that owns the Cafe one would need to do a search at the companies registration office in Chonburi to be absolutely certain about that information, but one would think that Craig owns 49% of the company and his Thai "nominees" own the other 51% that's about as good as it gets with owning companies in Thailand.

The mangers there are Tom and Mick and its my understanding that sadly Mick's contract there will finish in the next few months and he will be departing.

Now enter Glen & Peter the 2 guys who own Throb and Splash they're somehow involved together with Craig in the Cafe's accommodation side of that business so you could say they have some sort of business partnership in that direction although its my understanding they have no ownership in the cafe at this time.

The owners of the these establishments are together and imminently undertaking a large refurbishment program to update there respective communal terraces, the Cafe's reception, coffee shop, and bar areas the interior of Splash & Throb will also be updated at the same time.

Glen & Peter have just employed a nice new manager English I think ? not Thai to help with the running of there side of things.
    It would seem natural that in the future Glen and Peter would buy the Cafe from Craig as its a natural fit this I have no doubt will come to light when and if it happens in the future.

can we be introduced to new owners Cafe Royale

May I ask what the hell this has anything to with anyone (especially people in this forum?

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    no

Fattman.
    Thai adopted son? business owners ? what comic strip or fairytale have you been reading ???

drfrost3
    If you don't like the subjects posted on this form dont read them.

dab69
    Agreed

Re: can we be introduced to new owners Cafe Royale

Quote Originally Posted by drfrost3
    May I ask what the hell this has anything to with anyone (especially people in this forum?
    I wouldn't let it bother you "drfrost", it's nobody's business, but people make it their business, they want to know everything, people are generally nosey, and changes to a place could, in the long term, have an effect on a business, any business for that matter, especially if the punters don't like the ways things are run. The problem with places like this is their punters are generally people who visit this place year after year after year, they are the same people - if they get upset or don't like the place, their patronage to that place is finished, simple as that. It happens. I'm sure though whoever runs Le Cafe Royal, they will have the interests of their punters at heart.

Liked

Re: can we be introduced to new owners Cafe Royale

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrost3
    changes to a place could, in the long term, have an effect on a business, any business for that matter, especially if the punters don't like the ways things are run. The problem with places like this is their punters are generally people who visit this place year after year after year, they are the same people - if they get upset or don't like the place, their patronage to that place is finished, simple as that. It happens. I'm sure though whoever runs Le Cafe Royal, they will have the interests of their punters at heart.
    You are correct that many people have made Cafe Royale their home when visiting LOS, some for almost 20 years.

There were subtle changes when Ian McKnight passed away, a friend to many. Then big Ian and now Robbie. From being amongst and welcomed as friends now there are strangers. Even Mick is on his way

The comment by JJDEED above is reassuring to those who dont want change. A number of my friends put up with the stairs only because of the friendship long term with the owners. If the changes are substantial, Poseiden or a ground floor condo is more likely to appeal

Maybe JJDEED can suggest to the new owners or Traveller Jim, there are former and long term visitors who are interested in their plans before rebooking, and that some statement could be in their long term interest
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    stayed there a week or so ago and asked Orr how the new management was going.
    He replied "not new management, same management."

And yes, I do consider it my home in Pattaya, not so much as
    the owners as some of the staff as nice friends.

You can count me amongst those regulars who stay year after year at LCR. I have been doing it twice yearly for 15 years and do consider it a 'home from home' whilst I am visiting. I have been loyal to the establishment because I have been very well looked after by the management and generally by the staff.

There have been two occasions in 15 years when I have had to complain about poor service from a waiter or housekeeping staff but that was soon rectified by Robbie or Ian McKnight. I have even endured there being no lift, especially in the past 6 or 7 years following an accident which made climbing stairs difficult - (incidentally as a result of that disability, it was following my suggestion to Ian Read and Robbie that they arranged to have a banister rail installed on the stairs up to the first floor).

I am therefore keen to hear what the long term management plans are for the hotel and what changes are likely to be made, if any.

One disturbing rumour has come to my attention already about possible new or additional owners but until that becomes more common knowledge I will keep my own counsel. Suffice to say that if the rumour is true and becomes a reality I will be looking elsewhere for accommodation as the person(s) concerned couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery!

Quote Originally Posted by fattman
    I thought that Ian's (adopted son?) Thai friend was one of the business owners, in name at least?
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDeed
    Fattman.Thai adopted son? business owners ? what comic strip or fairytale have you been reading ???
    Probably the same "comic strip or fairytale" that Ian was reading, as to my personal knowledge that was Ian's intention. I cannot comment any further as I only have it at third hand as to why this did not happen.