Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drug 'set ups' in Thailand

Drug 'set ups' in Thailand

I view of recent events in Pattaya, I found this article of interest in a Thailand Magazine out now.

From the тАШBig ChilliтАЩ Bangkok Magazine. May 2008.

Drugs sting

YEARS ago, a succession of tourists were arrested as they were about to leave Thailand at Don Munag airport with illegal drugs in their possession. The ability to spot these felons was simply stunning тАУ unless, of course, they had been тАШset upтАЩ with the specific aim of catching them in the act. No such cases have been reported recently at ThailandтАЩs airports, but that canny knack of catching drug dealers and carriers continues elsewhere. And it seems somewhat implausible for the driver of a car to be pulled up randomly and found in possession of illegal substances. Unless, of course, he or she had been set up. Of course, the only way to avoid such a situation is to obey the law and donтАЩt get involved in drugs!

Any comments should not have any names or cases mentioned please.

Mrs.Bucket,
    Don't believe all you read in the tabloid magazines or newspapers.

Drug set-ups are like the gerry that just got nicked in Sunee without his nickers around his ancles and his best friend "dick" embedded in two Chicken's "he didn't do it of course" despite the 2 used condoms laying at his feet, planted agene I suppose, just having a ham shank so we were your honner.

The local constabulary have all day to sit around scratching there posteriors watching these perverts and druggies doin there thing, they know what exactly what they're up to and give them just enough room to feel safe with there dirty little habits, then they pounce.
    Don't think there's such a thing as an innocent tourist with a bag full of drugs or a room and photo album full of kids.

Mr. Jinks watch this thread it may start to drag out that same tired worn out old story.

Liked
    Setup doesn't have to be police. I would for example not be amazed if some drug barons occasionally setup some naive tourist just to keep the police happy (and not looking too much in their direction - too difficult to catch).

Mr. Jinks watch this thread it may start to drag out that same tired worn out old story.

It might be a tired worn out story to you sir, but it is a daily nightmare to those who indeed were/might have been set up. You seem to be applying that the Thai BIB or the judiciary are not corruptible and that everything one reads in the tabloid press is in fact just hyped hearsay!

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    It's certainly true that many poorer Thais are seduced into becoming "mules" for professional drug dealers and being flown to international countries like Aust. NZ, USA etc 2 at a time with a minder seperately on the plane. The usual tired old method of swallowing condoms filled with cocaine or heroin is used often with fatal results for the "mule".

Sadly the "mule" may be caught and sentenced to many years in jail ( fortunately probably in far better conditions than they live in at home) but it's a highly horrible trade.

As for local police having their eye on the ball..they probably most certainly do know who the big players are and profit handsomely from it. Any sad local or silly farang caught just makes good newspaper fodder to look like something is being done. This isn't confined to Thailand and has reached countries everywhere as I peruse the net and come across this completely bizarre account :

Terrorism raid 'message'
    COUNTER-TERRORISM police yesterday raided the homes of two Sydney men with allegedly extremist Islamic views to "send a message" they were being closely watched and dissuade them from any plans to engage in a terrorist act.

sounds like Thought Police to me.

Meanwhile-one should take a look at the magnificent seaside holiday homes of some of the Thai and Burmese army generals.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

sanook
    I think the Thai police try to do what they can to have law and order with the little resources and training they have to work with.

I have to say that most of what you read in the tabloids is to a great degree speculation and innuendo and should be treated with skepticism unless of course if there are pictures to back up there claims but even they can be manipulated. Most alleged investigative reporters have the attitude if we cant get to the facts well just make it up as we go along, also if the truth if its not sensational enough its off no interest to them or indeed to most of the reading pubic.

Open your eyes JJDeed, I wonder if you actually know what the salary of a Thai Police General is, and how many lower rank police men are also driving around in Merc's or wearing Rolex watches (real not fake). Working along side many Thai lawyers for a number of years within the Thai criminal system certainly opens ones eyes to the going's on within the Thai justice system.
    We all know who you are referring to and what article, and I wonder what your qualifications or standing within the Thai community is to be able to say he or they are "Guilty" and it's the hyped up media that has it wrong!

Facts are available

Despite that JJDeed wants actual pictures of corruption and setups, doen't first person accounts have as much weight when the same issue continues over and over? To get video would be very hard since usually the person being setup doesn't know he is being set up. However, I think there was a youtube video that showed a Thai police man pulling money from his shirt and then counting it....not a small sum.

Once when I was at the airport (Don Muang) a policeman stopped me and asked me to buy him a bottle of Johnny Walker inside the duty free area and pass it to him. I asked my Thai friend if he would do it since I was scarred of what might happen as a farang. Not sure if something would happen if I did not do it either. The policeman took it and "forgot" to pay us for it.

Another example, a bar owner told me (many years ago) that he had to pay bribes to 5 different policeman. If he did not he could have easily been set up.

More; while driving I have had to give bribes to police or face more "problems". I know I had not been speeding or done anything else wrong...who knows what could have happened....maybe drugs found in my car???

Not any of these have been caught on video. I don't usually walk around with a camera taped to my head "just in case".

Several international watch groups have listed Thailand police/judicial system as very corrupt. The "drug crack down" of a few years ago where innocent people were even murdered is an example not caught on tape.

'Facts are available'

Well said Pattaya Mail, and one should also note that no establishment be it a Go-Go Bar or a legitimate expensive restaurant can operate without paying a 'monthly fee' to a 'pet policeman' I could well imagine a restaurant owner secretly filming the payoff then trying to get justice. How long do you think his business would last or indeed how long would it be before some dodgy pills etc., were found in his personal possessions!

DELETED