List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed law to require motorist to stop for anthem?

Liked

Proposed law to require motorist to stop for anthem?

I can't find a link for this story, so I am quoting it in total (hope it meets the posting guidelines). It is kind of funny but it is one of those "only in Thailand" ideas. It came from Road and Track magazine's June 2008 edition:

"The army-appointed parliament in Thailand is proposing a law that would require all motorists to come to a complete stop when the national anthem is played. The 68-second-long national song is played at 8 am. and 6 p.m. and is broadcast from loudspeakers. Although opponents say such a law would be chaotic, one retired general, age 70, said it's the least motorists could do for their country, adding, "They already spend more time in traffic jams, anyway."

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Proposed law to require motorist to stop for anthem?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey612
    I can't find a link for this story, so I am quoting it in total (hope it meets the posting guidelines). ."
    What guidelines? The moderator doesn't apply them why should the posters!

Liked
    Brad, be nice. I hope you have noticed that your thread 'Whatever turns you on' has been moved (again) back into this Forum.
    I fear the Moderator may been horsewhipped by the Administrator. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I can't abide to hear of a grown man crying.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Re: Proposed law to require motorist to stop for anthem?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey612
    I can't find a link for this story, so I am quoting it in total (hope it meets the posting guidelines). It is kind of funny but it is one of those "only in Thailand" ideas. It came from Road and Track magazine's June 2008 edition:

"The army-appointed parliament in Thailand is proposing a law that would require all motorists to come to a complete stop when the national anthem is played. The 68-second-long national song is played at 8 am. and 6 p.m. and is broadcast from loudspeakers. Although opponents say such a law would be chaotic, one retired general, age 70, said it's the least motorists could do for their country, adding, "They already spend more time in traffic jams, anyway."
    The 'army-appointed' parliament ended in December 07 with the elections and a PPP-dominated coalition. The army have had their time and are now back in barracks ... though in Thailand, they seem to always be at the ready.
    I doubt this was anything much more than dumb generals (aged 70) thinking before their brains clicked in. Nothing about this idea heard recently.

Cheers ...

Liked

some ignore , other's it a big deal

It's funny but the BTS (skytrain) play the national anthem over the loud speakers and make a big deal about everyone stopping and standing but the MRT (subway) does not do anything, no anthem and no standing. My gym falls under the ignore category when it comes on all the TVs but some office buildings play the anthem and everyone stands. Shopping malls ignore it but schools stop and stand.

My BF proposed this Thai logic why it;s not played and you don't have to stand in the MRT: it's underground, no one can drive by and see you.

MRT and BTS are separate government departments.
    E Dok Tong

Re: some ignore , other's it a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    ... everyone stopping and standing ...
    I had a couple of boys over last evening and someone outside the block of apartments had the radio on. While the anthem was playing we didn't stop; however all our members were standing :bounce:

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    Brad, be nice. I hope you have noticed that your thread 'Whatever turns you on' has been moved (again) back into this Forum.
    I fear the Moderator may been horsewhipped by the Administrator. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I can't abide to hear of a grown man crying.

Cheers ...
    The thread may have finally ended up back here where it belonged, but as a result of the Moderator's intervention in moving it to the Global Forum, it became a thread about him, rather than a thread about Thai aphrodisiacs.

Liked
    Some years ago I went for a run in Queen Sirikit Park in Chatachuk. It was closing in on 6PM and the large walking path which runs through the park had hundreds of runners on it, out for their exercise after work. Everyone was working hard at their own paces . . . I was passing many, being passed by a few 'serious' runners, admiring muscular Thai asses as I came up behind.
    But on the stroke of 6PM the Thai anthem started bellowing through dozens of loudspeakers hung up on poles. Every runner on that path came to an abrupt halt and just stood there, dripping in sweat, chests heaving, breathing heavily, many bent over with hands on knees: human statues in contorted and wet extremis.
    At the end of the anthem, the entire group took off running again ... and so did I.

A very bizarre sight indeed, and I would guess, only in Thailand.

Cheers ...

Liked

Re: some ignore , other's it a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    It's funny but the BTS (skytrain) play the national anthem over the loud speakers and make a big deal about everyone stopping and standing but the MRT (subway) does not do anything, no anthem and no standing.
    I seem to recall hearing the anthem while I was in the Lumpini MRT station a number of times last November. But as you say no one was paying much attention and certainly no one stopped for it.

There was a story in the papers last week about a guy who refused to stand for the anthem at a movie. He was turned in by a fellow patron and now faces the possibility of charges. He claims that there is no reason he should be required to stand. Historians noted that the tradition came from the Brits who used to stand at films for God Save the King/Queen after the end of a film. Apparently the Thais imported the idea but they realized that no one was left to stand after the credits so they moved it to before the film.

Liked
    He claims that there is no reason he should be required to stand. Historians noted that the tradition came from the Brits who used to stand at films for God Save the King/Queen after the end of a film.
    Kind of true. What used to happen was that there was a stampede for the door as the credits started to roll - the place was empty before the first drum roll. In the end they just stopped playing it, I think some time in the 1960's. There were stories that the cinema managements rather regretted the passing of this custom - it was such an effective way of clearing the house.