List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning my first trip..experienced advice much appreciated!

Planning my first trip..experienced advice much appreciated!

Hi

I've been reading this forum for a little while as part of my ongoing research. I'm planning to take a trip to Thailand for the first time in October this year. I know I have plenty of time to plan, but wondered if I might get some advice from you guys on various issues that will help me with my planning!

Here's my plans:

Stay 3 days BKK
    Stay 7 days Chang Mai
    Stay 7 days Pattaya
    Stay 7 days Koh Samui
    Stay 7 days BKK

Do you think that's a good plan to get an overview? I've got a month or so and want to make the most of it and experience as much as possible. I'm planning to get internal flights and/or taxis to travel inbetween the various places. Basically, I'm not sure whether I'll prefer some parts to others and, therefore, I know that I'll wish I had more time in certain places etc - but I'm prepared to take that risk on the basis that I'm well planned for my first visit and that I get a good idea of what I like for next time!

My budget for the trip is:

Flights (from UK-BKK) - ┬г600
    Internal Flights - ┬г200
    Insurance - ┬г50
    Accom - ┬г1100
    Spending Money - ┬г800

Is that sensible? I had hoped to keep it under ┬г2k but that seems difficult. I know my accommodation budget is high but it is based on hotels similar to Tartawan in BKK. I want to be comfortable for my first visit and, as I'm away for a month, I'd like to have somewhere nice as I don't plan to be out every single night. In addition, I'm not planning on spending too much on Money Boys but rather meeting locals (I'm in my late 20s) and I'd like a nice place to be with them rather than a quick shag pad.

Aside from budget, I'd really appreciate help with the following questions if you have any experience of the issues!

- Is the Tartawan ok? Feedback seems to be very good. Any other suggestions for somewhere similar (also without joiners fee preferably!) that is a little cheaper? Location and comfortable-ness is a priority but apart from that I'm not too worried about pools etc. A nice breakfast is a plus!

- What about Chang Mai, Pattaya and Koh Samui for accommodation? There seems to be lots of 1000-1500 bhat per night places with mixed reviews - anything a little more that I can be sure is nice? Very mixed reviews here so I'd appreciate any suggestions on hotels to consider.

- Is ┬г800 spending money enough for a month? Bear in mind I am not going to be getting money boys every night (maybe three or four times over the whole trip, dependent on how many guys I meet...) but do want to splurge on a couple of elephant trips and being shown round, nice food eating out most nights, laundry, drinks 4/5 times a week, a couple of massages etc.

- How about my plan for places to visit? Am I missing anything? I know I've avoided Phuket - but I think I can manage without seeing there.

- Should I book absolutely everything in advance my first time (internal flights and accom) or can I get away with not doing so on the basis that I can be flexible about staying in a certain place for a little longer if I like it.

- Is October a good time to visit? Or should I wait until January?

- Will I be ok on my own? It's the first time I've holidayed without friends and I'm worried about being a little bored of my own company after a while!

I'd really appreciate your expert advice on the above if you have time to make a first-timer have a better trip and get things planned in advance!

Thanks very much
    Dave

Re: Planning my first trip..experienced advice much apprecia

Quote Originally Posted by ukdave
    - What about Chang Mai, Pattaya and Koh Samui for accommodation? There seems to be lots of 1000-1500 bhat per night places with mixed reviews - anything a little more that I can be sure is nice? Very mixed reviews here so I'd appreciate any suggestions on hotels to consider.

Thanks very much
    Dave
    Hi Dave:

For Pattaya - check out our website at www.asian-escapes.com we offer serviced apartments in the price range you're talking about. View Talay 5 Condo is a great location - located right on Dongtan Gay beach. 2 minutes walk to the beach. At night you can go to Jomtien Complex next door or take a 10 minutes baht bus ride into Boyz Town or Sunnee Plaza. Staying in a service apartment gives you the freedom of having your own place to stay. Our units do get booked early so if you see something you like please book it asap.

For Chiang Mai - I highly recommend PJ's Place http://www.pjs-place.com/ - Great English Breakfast, Great location, and great hosts.

Hi Dave,

I've been to Pattaya / Bangkok during the high and low seasons and have had a great time either way.

In Pattaya, I usually stay at the Ambience hotel in Boyztown, which is central and convenient. While in Bangkok, I'm usually at the Nana complex where the girl bars are located.

As far as your budget, I somehow manage to spend roughly 4 to 5 thousand US dollars on each trip -- possibly because I love both the thai women & men, equally!

Hi guys!

IтАЩd prefer reading in my native language, because my knowledge of your languange is no so well. But it was interesting! Look for some my links:

{spam merchant - jinks}

trip

Your total days are 31 days. You are over stay after 30 days so be careful how you count the days. Your time table sounds good tho as 7 days in each place gives you enought time without rushing. Just search the back pages in the forums for advice on different places to stay and visit.

Your overall plan seems to be spot on. My only comment is that Thailand is a country the really only comes to life after the sun goes down. You seem to be planning on a site seeing during the day. At night you will be visiting night markets, discos, saunas, shows and bars that only happen at night, so you most likely will be spending almost no time in your hotel except to shower, change and sleep...and maybe a little sex. You also state that you want to meet the local people and the night is when this is most likely going to happen.

I would down grade all of my hotel choices, which will give you much more money to spend on fun things or to save for your next trip. I have stayed at the Tartawan...and outside of the fact that it is a gay hotel it has nothing special to offer for the price; in fact I consider it to grossly overpriced for what you get. Tourist/business class hotels will say nothing about who bring back to your room..so don't be worried about bringing a boy back to the room. In the last ten years I have never had a hotel even bat an eye at who came back to my room with me. The issue of joiner fees has never come up in any hotel that I have stayed at. I understand that the high end hotels don't want sex workers brought back to their hotels, but I have bought boys back to the Holiday Inn on Silom with out a word being said. I think the issue of joiner fees come up with old drunks bringing boys or girls that look like their grandchildren back to the hotel. In Bangkok I stay at the Trinity Silom. Here is the link http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/ ... y/details/

If you are concerned about traveling alone with the money to save by down grading hotels you can hire a boy to spend your vacation with. Often money boys are only thought of in terms of sex, but many guys vacationing in Thailand hire a boy for their entire trip or a new boy in each city. If you chose to do that you will have a companion, translator, tour guide, negotiator, and someone who may well become a long term friend. If this idea interest you just ask the mamasan at any of the bars that you visit to introduce you to any of their boys that speak English reasonably well and might be interested in spending a few days with you. Don't feel pressured to take the first boy that you meet...talk and give him a tip for his time. Shop about for a day or two and I think that you will find that these money boys are for the most part really good guys just earning a living. It does take a bit of time to give up ones western view of sex workers, but this is Thailand so the boys don't carry the cultural baggage that they carry in the west.

You can easily book your internal travel once you are here in Thailand. As you meet new people and see things you can adjust your schedule.

In Pattaya I would avoid Boyz Town it has become a tourist trap and a place for straight tourist to stare at the gay people. I suspect you would not care for Boyz Town after a couple of drinks. Think about staying at the San Suk Guest house and spa or one of the smaller tourist hotels like M P Mansion both of which are 5 minutes from both town and Jomtien Beach.

Good luck: I'm sure that you will have a great time.

Here's my plans:

Stay 3 days BKK
    Stay 7 days Chang Mai
    Stay 7 days Pattaya
    Stay 7 days Koh Samui
    Stay 7 days BKK
    Dave
    My only suggestion for that itinerary is to forget Koh Samui - it's very expensive and highly over-rated and the gay scene is no-where near comparable with the other places you mention, especially for a 7 day stay. Much better to go to Phuket and stay at Patong Beach - there is a close-knit gay area around the Paradise complex which includes several hotels/guesthouses (and a lot of gay gogo and drinking bars).

I also think you will struggle to stay within your budget of ┬г2000 unless of course you want to spend a lot of the time living like a celibate monk! I would seriously consider doubling your ┬г800 for spending money. You might also go slightly over the ┬г200 you have earmarked for internal flights. I usually budget for ┬г2750 to ┬г3500 for a 28 day trip and that allows for NOT paying for 'money boys' every night.

Also as Luvthai has noted your 'visa-free' immigration entry is 30 days - anything over that (even by a few hours) requires you to get a visa in advance.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hi

My budget for the trip is:

Flights (from UK-BKK) - ┬г600
    Internal Flights - ┬г200
    Insurance - ┬г50
    Accom - ┬г1100
    Spending Money - ┬г800

Is that sensible? I had hoped to keep it under ┬г2k but that seems difficult. - Is ┬г800 spending money enough for a month?
    Thanks very much
    Dave
    yes..just add

Drinks/lunch LO'B 800.oo
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Liked

1st time to Thailand

My first time was over ten years ago and I sure wish I had even half the information I know now about how to have a good vacation in Thailand. 1. Don't try to see it all. Plan to come back and spend time in the places you enjoy. I now spend 3 separate months a year in Thailand and try to take a special trip each time (Angkor Wat, a new town I haven't seen, or time for shopping in Chiang Mai before Christmas).

Most of the time I spend in Pattaya at the beach with my bf of 8 years and other farangs I have come to know over the years. I agree about hotel rooms...no need to spend a lot of money. There are much better ways to spend your holiday cash and frankly, the boys are not impressed when you spend as much on one night in a hotel as they make in a week or two weeks.

I plan on $1,000 US per week of my stay but that includes shopping for both myself, my bf, and his family in the village. I think your internal travel budget is too low...but you can verify your air fares on line. Plan on all air fares to be going up due to fuel prices. The suggestion of looking for a local to accompany you whether for each city or for the trip is a good one. I have had great experience with this in the past and while it costs, I see SO much more and find out SO MUCH MORE about Thailand. The going rate is 1000 baht a day plus their expenses. I have also hired a lad with a vehicle and spend the week driving around northern Thailand. Great experience. I can recommend such a contact in Chiang Mai that is a great tour guide with a late model SUV. Ben at ‏benjirak@yahoo.com. While he is gay, he would not be expecting a relationship to be part of the tour arrangements unless, of course, you two hit it off. But he would know everyplace to take you.

If you want to chat more, I would be glad to give hotel recommendations, etc. Send me a private message.

Liked

UKDAVE

Congrats on your great sounding trip. I am a vet of 15 years of visits to Thailand. Your trip sounds fine. There is nothing like Bangkok for the first time. A few observations on your trip. You will probably spend more than you seem to plan for. Someone suggested paying less for the hotels, I like a nice place to stay, especially if I have not been to the territory before. I would think you will meet Thai guys at bars that you will want to spend time with. This is Thailand and not like any other place in the world. Since you have time to plan, perhaps look at the Rose, Pinnacle or even Malaysia Hotel. (Undoubtedly the Malaysia suggestion will be controversial) It is perfectly fine and clean and has a nice pool. Also, unless you really want quiet time, skip Ko Samui Island. In Pattaya I see you were pointed to the Jomtien area. While I love the beach and the eating places at Jomtien, the fun spots are Sunee and Boystown. If you were thinking of Ambiance or Cafe Royalle, you won't go wrong. I have enjoyed both, but now I have been staying at Howards Guest House. Again not everyone likes it as it not high end, but has the friendliness many of us like. Punya, the owner will watch out for you and make sure you have suggestions on where to go. He also is the owner of Sansuk that was suggested already. It is a bit off the main road and late at night might be a challenge getting to it. Your plan for Pattaya is good, I would spend the extra days at Pattaya, but I do like the beach during the day, and stake out my territory at Rits chairs. Then love going to supper with a friend and finally running the streets of Sunee area as the night goes on. That is why since you are in Thailand for a month, don't cut your enjoyment of the trip by not putting enough in your budget for spending. Why you plan on meeting only a few Thai guys, I have a dime to bet, you will spend a lot more time with them than you are thinking. I am no seer, but feel my dime will be safe in that bet. Please let the forum know how your trip budget makes out. Start by making a double what you think you will be spending, and you will be fine. Then if you don't spend it all, you can put in the bank for the next trip. He He.