Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going home

Going home

My home town is not a gay friendly place and I'm thinking of relocating to Brighton. Anyone live there?

Homeward bound..

Dear John,

All the very best for your trip home to the UK. I live in London, but I have a number of good friends in Brighton, so if you do relocate there I would be happy to introduce you. If you are ever in London I would be delighted to meet up for a drink/meal.

As I am sure you have heard, house prices are falling generally, although my impression is that rental prices are not.

What kind of business would you be interested in?

Good luck with the Civil Partnership application too. When my ex-husband made his application in Bangkok in 2006 he had no interview and the visa was granted in three days!!

With all good wishes!

Liked
    Hi John
    You could have a look at Gumtree:
    http://brighton.gumtree.com/
    It carries a lot of ads for flat and house rentals in Brighton. It'll at least give you a feel for the local market.

There are a lot of gays living in Brighton and along that coast from Lewes to Littlehampton. I have a colleague who is Brighton bred and from his ramblings I don't get the impression that it is particularly "gay friendly".

Liked
    Yo John!

From a guy who's kinda going the other way . . . all the best to you.
    Do you think you'll still inhabit this Board to a certain extent? I hope so, as I enjoyed just about everything you ever wrote here.

Chok dee ...

Dave
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked
    Going Home; Bon Voyage, Fran├зois

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ChiBPJ ... re=related[youtube][/youtube]

Re: Going home

TRUCE FLAG UP!

You may want to check the technical legality concerning your bf's place of residence, and what was written on his application for a visa for marriage and a settlement visa, bearing in mind that he is officially being sponsored by your parents.

FYI only, no reply required.

TRUCE FLAG DOWN!

Re: Going home

Quote Originally Posted by DELETED
    My home town is not a gay friendly place and I'm thinking of relocating to Brighton. Anyone live there?
    An excellent choice. I lived there for three years some decades ago and had a fabulous time. I still visit once or twice a year for a long weekend.

Almost uniquely (for the UK) I have found that the gay scene there is far more tolerant of men who have long passed their 40th birthday. I never had (or have) trouble finding a suitable companion and, apart from picking up the tab for the drinks and maybe splashing out on a meal for two, I have never had to 'pay for the subsequent entertainment'. There are rent boys about if that is your taste but quite a lot of them seem to be 'rough trade' and into BDSM and other more unusual sexual pursuits. (I understand from talking to aquaintances that the going rate starts at ┬г100 for a quickie up some side-street or back-ally (no pun intended!) but is generally at least ┬г150 and usually more).

I don't know what the current cost of renting or buying property there is now but at the time I lived there the seafront flat I rented at the Hove end of the prom was about 3/4 the cost of renting in London. Property prices at the time were about on a par with the outer suburbs of London.

Good luck!

I think Brighton prices are well below SW London and a bit below SE London.

Of two recent reports, one said London prices were holding increasing a little and the other said falling/nothing coming onto the market.

Buying "unsettled/ unseasoned" property is problematic but where the "falling" is to be found as developers need to get their cash flow more desperately than most with something to sell.

Always get a full survey. It's only 1% of the price of 3 bed semi in Epsom.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    well Good Luck..and do look in every now and then and tell us what is happening !

It would be interesting to hear how you go with your b/f's immigration plans as well.

I reckon anywhere on the coast in the UK is fine now although I read prices are actually rising . Brighton is probably expensive. I preferred it when it wasn't the huge gay venue it is now but was still popular with some gays and disreputable people. ( like Snowkat) Always fun for a weekend.

Plenty of nearby coastal towns though.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.