Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two reasons to avoid Thailand in April

Two reasons to avoid Thailand in April

1 General Election. Bars closed! The sky is falling!
    2 Songkran. Bars open! Water is falling!

Well i went last April,and i remember the SONGKRAN.
    It was quite busy actually,i remember going to the day night hotel and the prick behind the counter ignored me and kept talking in thai to his friend on the phone until i disconnected from his ear.
    Noya right Aprils not a good month.The best month,JUNE JULY AUGUST SEPT.JUNE is a bit iffy with the aussie school holidays and europe holidays but JULYS good.

Re: Two reasons to avoid Thailand in April

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Avoid 2 Songkran. Bars open! Water is falling!
    It's not even March and the board sourpusses are already decrying the good times had by so many in Thailand celebrating the wonderful life at the water festival.

All your complaining will never get you the result you seek.

Have a good time!

Liked
    SONGKRAN is a wonderful Holiday, in fact it is the happiest holiday in Thailand, as long as you don't have to celebrate it in Pattaya/Jomtiem and Chiang Mai.

The morons that think its fun to drench everyone with their high powered water guns should be dunked in one of Bangkok's klongs for a day and see how they like being subjected to something they don't like. :geek:

Most/some of us locals always leave these areas during Songkran and enjoy it up-country where you can enjoy the holiday in a more normal fashion. It really is a delight watching Thai folks celebrate. Happy faces everywhere. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

Does anyone know when in April the Election will be held. I hate comming on a 2 week holiday to find out the bars will close for 1 or 2 nights.

Likely 2 April

Early Election Set in Thailand
    Staff and agencies
    24 February, 2006

By RUNGRAWEE C. PINYORAT, 17 minutes ago

BANGKOK, Thailand - ThailandтАШs embattled prime minister dissolved parliament Friday тАФ a move forcing national elections three years early and guaranteeing a showdown with his political opponents.

The decree also said elections were necessary to prevent the tense political situation from turning violent.

ThaksinтАШs move comes after months of calls for his resignation from critics who accuse him of corruption and abuse of power тАФ and just one year since the once-popular Thaksin won a landslide victory in national elections. The next election would have been held in 2009.

The opposition, however, could boost the number of seats it holds in the 500-member lower house from the current 124 to the 200 needed to legally mount a no-confidence motion against the prime minister.

Thitinan Pongsudhirak, political scientist of Bangkok-based Chulalongkorn University, said the Thai Rak Thai party тАФ or Thai Love Thai party, which Thaksin created тАФ will likely win on April 2, leaving the prime minister in power. But a victory at the polls might not quell the controversy surrounding his leadership.

Several leaders of the anti-Thaksin movement, known as the PeopleтАШs Alliance for Democracy, said Friday that they would carry on with SundayтАШs rally and other protests until Thaksin resigned.

Among those to lead the rally will be Chamlong Srimuang, a former politician and leader of the 1992 protests that helped to oust a military-backed government.

Government officials believe the gathering may attract more than 100,000 people and worry could lead to violence.

Thaksin has repeatedly rejected calls for his resignation, but said he would dissolve parliament if the political situation deteriorates.

Thaksin has also come under fire for mishandling of the countryтАШs most serious crisis, the Muslim insurgency in southern Thailand where more than 1,100 have died over the past two years. He is also accused of stifling what was once one of AsiaтАШs freest media and of allowing his business and political cronies to reap enormous gains from corrupt policies.

There is a senate election scheduled for April 19. This will be a public holiday for government offices. Also, we have been told that 12 and 13 of June will also be public holidays in honor of His Majesty's accession to the throne.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

A few reasons to visit Thailand in April

#1 Less Tourists
    #2 More Available Boys
    #3 Fewer Herds of Roaming Chinese
    #5 More Elbow Room at Rit's Concession
    #6 Lower Prices on Lodging
    #7 And, last but not least, SONGKRAN

Understanding that many, if not most of my fellow farangs, hate this period and actually exodus from Pattaya just to escape the water slinging mayhem...but I love it.

Splish...Splash

Liked: 1

Re: A few reasons to visit Thailand in April

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    #1 Less Tourists
    #2 More Available Boys ,
    #3 Fewer Herds of Roaming Chinese
    #5 More Elbow Room at Rit's Concession
    #6 Lower Prices on Lodging
    #7 And, last but not least, SONGKRAN

Understanding that many, if not most of my fellow farangs, hate this period and actually exodus from Pattaya just to escape the water slinging mayhem...but I love it.

Splish...Splash
    #1 Less Tourists , not really, when I whas there the place was packed, it's just more first time tourists who think songkran is fun
    #2 More Available Boys , not really, most boys go home for Songkran, and it is also the time that the 21 year olds go for the military lottery.
    #3 Fewer Herds of Roaming Chinese right
    #5 More Elbow Room at Rit's Concession if you say so
    #6 Lower Prices on Lodging same as may to september
    #7 And, last but not least, SONGKRAN excactly, a good reason to stay away, one day is nice , but not 7 days in a row

Ofcourse I go with other Falang, it's my job, but you are the only one I love :)

Songkran advice.

Get a buzz cut.
    Don't eat at outdoor caf├йs.
    Wear light weight, quick dry, non...Oh, my gawd!...see-through-when-wet material.
    Carry a bigger water cannon than the other farang.
    Keep your mouth closed. (Or a supply of Norfloxin 400 on hand.)

Why do chicken cross the road?
    To get away from 'chicken hawks.' (Works best with hawks on zimmer frames.)