Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EVA Elite...and the toilet seats

EVA Elite...and the toilet seats

I see a rather long post on Baht Stop about flying EVA to Thailand, and I'm not a poster on Baht Stop, so I thought I would start a new thread here. I have had several serious issues with EVA that I had discusssed with my travel agent prior to my last flight. Sadly, I predicted EVA's behavior prior to the flight. Following is the letter that was sent to my travel agent...it explains the whole situaation in detail. Legal complaints have been filed since returning to LAX. Have any of you had a similar experience with EVA while flying out of of LAX?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

I have been sitting on this letter for three weeks now trying to decide if I were overly emotional or had really been discriminated against by EVA. I think that I have now arrived at the considered conclusion that we were discriminated against in favor of some Taiwanese people by EVA, so this is what has been on my mind since arriving in Thailand. I may be filing official complaints with the both the LA City Department of Airports and the FAA's Office of Civil Rights after returning to the USA, because there are both Federal laws and City codes against this type of discrimination

For the last five years I have bought many tickets from you to Asia only on EVA. I fly there several times a years. I have, also, as you know, referred many people to you to buy EVA tickets. Several trips ago things with EVA began to change and I have addressed those issues with you in the past. I cannot express to you in words how disappointed and disgusted I am at this moment with EVA. The flight attendants are wonderful and always most helpful, my issue is either with their corporate policy and/or the discriminatory behavior of their LAX ticket agents in assigning seating.

As you will remember from our conversions before this trip, I discussed with you in your office EVA's LA ticket agents repeated attempted to seat me and my travel companions against the bulkhead/toilet wall even thought we had other reserved seats. And that it was always an issue of showing them our seat numbers and then someone fumbled around and like magic they found us not our reserved seats, but other equally good seating, and always it was Taiwanese businessmen setting in the reserved seats that I had already paid for. You will also remember that at that time you gave me the tickets for the NOV 30 flight I expressed two concerns with you about our NOV 30 FLT 1 to Taipei and FLT 67 to Bangkok, concern one being that without reserved seats that we would get the bulkhead toilet row, concern two being that EVA's LAX ticket agents engage in profiling and/or other illegal discriminatory practices when assigning seating on their planes. I have noted, and said to you in your office, that almost without exception the people sitting on the toilet wall are either very old Asian people or white people that are the one time tourist type: in other words the kind of clients they don't care about and can easily get away with discriminating against without consequences.

We paid for Elite Deluxe seats but what we got was not only much less that Elite Deluxe seats, it was less than economy seats. It was TOILET SEATS. Row 27 seats F&G on a 777 should not be sold they should pay people to sit in them. I consider the money that I paid for these seats to have been stolen from me. The service promised by EVA was absolutely not delivered.

I had the worst airline travel experience of my life on this EVA flight, and I have traveled the world for many many years. We spent not only 14 hours to Taipei in those toilet seats, they gave us exactly the same toilet seats for an added 4 hours from Taipei to Bangkok. So, in total we spent 18 hours with a very loud toilet flushing within two feet of our heads, and all of the smells that go with a bathroom periodically whiffing through our nostrils.

I want to explain to you in detail what sitting in one of those seats is like...And I challenge any EVA executive to sit in either of those two seats for 18 hours and then look me straight in the eye and tell me that it was not a terrible experience and that I don't deserve an apology and refund.

For 18 hours you have a very loud toilet flushing nearly continuously within two feet of your head which makes rest and sleep nearly impossible, but that was only the beginning of the flight from hell. Every time the door opens the smell of either the deodorizer used in the bathroom, deodorant, hair spray, or human waste is smelled. Also, 777's are not larger enough to accommodate people standing waiting for the bathroom, so for much of the flight you have people standing with their buttocks' within inches of your face chatting and passing gas. Then to add to the misery the magazine rack is less than one foot from the top of your head, so people are leaning over you reaching for and looking through the magazines, but the real fun is when they return the magazines: they simply drop them in the rack making another loud unexpected banging sound with in inches of your head. Now moving right along on this flight from hell lets chat about the fact that row 27 is the last to be served at all times by the flight attendants, so for both dinner and breakfast they were out of all but the least desirable food when they reached us. For dinner Gary had a tofu something that was not good and I didn't have dinner, I ate only the side dished. At breakfast the only item left by the time they reached row 27 was Chinese porridge, which most people with western taste just simply do not like the taste of, so no breakfast either, side dishes only.

I am told that EVA is seeking a larger share of the American travel market to Asia. My question to EVA is, If this is how they routinely treat a customer that has been flying them for years and has been sending new clients to my travel agents to buy EVA tickets how do you think you will ever capture a larger share of the American travel market?

DELETED

Liked
    if you've had so many problems with EVA why do you keep flying with them? You've got tons of other choices from LA to BKK.

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    Well that was very helpful, John, not.

Soi 10 Tom, I'm not sure you'll make much progress trying to take a case of discrimination based on the fact you were placed in the toilet seats. Someone has to sit there. And as a foreign airline, and the fact that you have left the United States, US anti-discrimination/profiling laws may simply not apply. However, if you had paid for deluxe economy seats, had been given a confirmation of your booking and confirmed seating arrangements in deluxe economy and these were subsequently not provided to you, that is a clear breach of contract and you would have a case to take against EVA. You may not get a full refund, only the difference between economy and what you paid for economy deluxe, but I'd go for a full refund and compensation for the hellish journey, particularly if this resulted in you suffering some sort of monetary loss. Take em to court!
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

Liked
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eva_Ai ... 77-300.php

Worth checking this site before you book. The seats mentioned in the letter are definitely in the Premium Economy section and labeled
    "Be aware".

Liked

Me too! Me too! Me EVA Newbie!

Well, this was quite a story. I had a interesting experience with EVA as well. Just recently, in fact.

I had a fight with the ticket agent about seating. I showed him my paperwork and where my pre-assigned seat was supposed to be, because he hadn't printed it on the boarding pass. He tried to persuade me to take it, he said, because these seats were further up, but in the middle aisle. Sometimes I like to sit in the window seat. This was one of those times.

He didn't seem like he knew what he was doing. He fussed with the computer software to try and make it right, but it wouldn't let him put me in the assigned seat. Again, he tried to persuade me to take the other seat. I got madder and madder and carried on. Finally, he went to go get his boss, who started pecking away at the keys. I swear, I do not know what info they put into the airline's computer system, but they type and type and type forever, like it was my life history they were putting in there. This was one of those times.

Meanwhile, times marches on. Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock. I look at my watch and fidget nervously, trying to calm down. When will they be boarding, will I make it on time? The nerve of them trying to pull a fast one on me. I am not stupid. I know what's going on, those dirty bastards!

Finally, the boss presses his last keypress. The melodic sound of a new boarding pass being printed. Eureka! My seat at last. Screw you, Eva, you stinking dirty bastards. (I like calling them dirty bastards, you see, it makes me feel better.) Those dirty bastards!

Finally, finally, finally, I get to the gate. First time on Eva. First time in Evergreen Deluxe Class. I was getting goosepimbles on my goosepimples. This trip was going to be fun. I knew it would be one of those times.

I found my seat and looked around. On no . . . the seat I fought so hard for. My special, new, first-time Evergreen Deluxe seat! It was against the bulkhead, there was a magazine rack, and 2 feet away a lav door.

It was one of the toilet seats. Dreaded row 27. It was just going to be one of those flights.

Liked
    I've flown EVA a dozen round trip flights to asia (out of LAX) before and I've never had a problem. I reserved my own seats (I have flown evergreen deluxe or elite each time) and had no problem getting those reserved seats. Am flying EVA again in 2 days and expect the same level of service.
    I did move once voluntarily to allow a young couple to sit together. The attendant asked me nicely about it and said I had no obligation to move at all (I chose to because the seat I went to was fine).
    So, while I'm not sure of why this happened to this poster but I've had no complaints at all.

Re: EVA Elite...and the toilet seats

Quote Originally Posted by Soi 10 Tom
    ... so for much of the flight you have people standing with their buttocks' within inches of your face ...
    What were you wearing at LAX? :queen:

How did you behave with 'Gary'? :love6:

What was your body language? :bootyshake:

Maybe the check in staff recognized you as a gay man and thought that this is precisely what you required for a happy flight. :ky:

Liked
    You select the seat from the web site. EVA does not select the seat and if you did not or if your travel agent did not bother some low level desk jockey at the airport selected or re-selected for you. In my opinion your law suit has no proof of discrimination, it's just bad luck. Now, if you find some EVA employee that says it's routine practice to give preference to certain people because of race, age or nationality, you night have something.

I have used EVA 4 times and plan on using them again and I have selected a seat and have never been changed. I print it out from the web site with the seat selection. If it I get something different, I have that as proof. I doubt they would move me to row 27 without some compensation in miles or money.
    E Dok Tong

I love sitting up against a bulk head (by the way I also thought the tone of this letter was pompous) I feel it gives more protection should the plane fall out of the sky. I never get a bulkhead sadly.

What I have noticed is discrimination against gay couples.
    You book a flight with your partner/companion/lover and they will seperate you because you are two men, and put a breeding couple in your place. That makes me see red. Same with upgrading. On my last long distance flight I was standing there actually checking in with my friend when the bitch tried to upgrade me to first class, but not my friend!
    For points I always try and fly the same airways, that last example was Cathay Pacific, so it sometimes feels like they have you by the balls.

This sort of behaviour is unacceptable. This has happened quite a few times, most often I have simply declined the offer of an upgrade, but the last time I flew into a rage, and we eventually both went first class all the way to Africa, munching caviar and tossing around on vast flat beds covered in Irish linen.
    But you would think in this day and age of heightened political correctness and happy holidays that this sort of thing would be avoided at training level. Maybe if enough of us complain they might start to rethink their ways.

I think writing in and complaining about sitting behind a toilet is just a waste of energy.