Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aircon pubs/bars to have smoking ban from 17th Feb

Aircon pubs/bars to have smoking ban from 17th Feb

Smoking ban set for pubs, outdoor markets

Smoking will be banned in all air-conditioned entertainment venues throughout the country next month, according to the Ministry of Public Health.

The new ban, expected to be imposed on Feb 17, will stop smokers from smoking in nightclubs, pubs and open-air markets including the Chatuchak weekend market, said Dr Hatai Chitanond of the ministry's Health Promotion Institute.

Outdoor restaurants will be required to set up nonsmoking areas.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=125047

Great news ! Long overdue !

Re: Aircon pubs/bars to have smoking ban from 17th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by buaseng
    Smoking ban set for pubs, outdoor markets

Smoking will be banned in all air-conditioned entertainment venues throughout the country next month, according to the Ministry of Public Health.

The new ban, expected to be imposed on Feb 17, will stop smokers from smoking in nightclubs, pubs and open-air markets including the Chatuchak weekend market, said Dr Hatai Chitanond of the ministry's Health Promotion Institute.

Outdoor restaurants will be required to set up nonsmoking areas.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=125047

Great news ! Long overdue !
    HA! Having witnessed the polution in Bangkok streets, I would regard this 'band-aid' solution with the contempt it deserves. No smoking in open air markets...LOL ! No smoking in the rice paddies next year!

Re: Aircon pubs/bars to have smoking ban from 17th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by aussieal

HA! Having witnessed the polution in Bangkok streets, I would regard this 'band-aid' solution with the contempt it deserves. No smoking in open air markets...LOL ! No smoking in the rice paddies next year!
    Have to agree that the ban in smoking in open air markets (or any open air venue for that matter) is OTT and ridiculous.

However, the ban on smoking in airconditioned bars/pubs - confined places - is most welcome (including I would guess, in their heart-of-hearts, by most smokers as well).

Yeah I think the ban is great if it is properly enforced. In London, we now have such a ban, and even as a smoker, I have to say going out clubbing once in a while, I really notice the difference in how my clothes smell when I get home (the person u r with smells a lot better too!!!
    Really, the difference is amazing! They should have banned smoking in clubs years ago!

It may sound silly to enforce the ban in places like Chatuchak but actually when you think about it, in the narrow covered lanes it can get really hot and sticky and again, I say this as a smoker, it is really unpleasant to be walking around trying to shop in humid heat with fellow shoppers blowing exhaled cigarette smoke into the already stuffy air. So if they can properly enforce it I think it is a great benefit to Public Health. Mind you in a country with corruption at every level of daily life, i doubt they will be able to enforce it the way it is strictly enforced in many EU countries. They have had a similar ban in place in Bangladesh for over 2 years and if you have enough small cash for the greedy/greasy palms, you can still light up all you like! :hello1:

And from NationMultimedia.com

The no-smoking rule will also be good for the health of customers and staff, he said, adding,
    "Music performances will be better because musical instruments won't be exposed to the smoke."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008...l_30061964.php

:cyclopsani:

Courtesy Pattaya Daily News

Admittedly IтАЩm a smoker, a very light smoker, maybe just 5-6 per day, but am I the only one who sees the irony of prohibiting smoking in bars for тАЬhealth reasonsтАЭ?

Does anyone go to a bar and drink alcohol for тАЬhealth reasonsтАЭ?

Sure, in offices, work-places, and restaurants, I get it. But in bars? Please...

Heterosexuals having children and obese over-eaters have a far greater effect on global air quality than smokers having a few fags now and then, but then itтАЩs not politically correct to point out тАЬHey, youтАЩre fat, eat less and the air I breathe will be betterтАЭ, or тАЬAbort that child now, so I donтАЩt have to inhale the consequences of your breedingтАЭ.
    IтАЩm having a cigarette as I type :cheers:

Finally.

Join the rest of the civilised world. The boy who spends the night smelling your ashtray hair will thank you.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by SisterSledgehammer
    Admittedly IтАЩm a smoker, a very light smoker, maybe just 5-6 per day, but am I the only one who sees the irony of prohibiting smoking in bars for тАЬhealth reasonsтАЭ?
    5 or 6 packs a day! If that's light smoking, I'd hate to see heavy smoking. (Just kidding, couldn't resist.)

I am a non-smoker, but it seems to me they should have started with anti-pollution laws, as in car exhaust, etc. But I am also in favor of smoking bans, in restaurants for example. In California, they have taken this to a whole new level. Smoking is banned everywhere, practically!

It does seem ironic on the surface, I can see your point. If it's any comfort, I am fairly sure the alcohol is nicotine-free!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Smoking ban in clubs

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSledgehammer

Does anyone go to a bar and drink alcohol for тАЬhealth reasonsтАЭ?
    I don't have anything against smokers. I was a slave to tobacco myself for about 18 years; but to my knowledge there haven't been any legitimate studies done that show a couple of cigarettes a day are beneficial in any way - although a glass or two of red wine can be. [Almost] everything in moderation, I guess...

On the rare occasions when I do find myself sitting in a bar I don't have to drink what others are drinking. In fact -- back in the dark ages when I was drinking -- you trying to take a hit off of my Stoly might've started a scene. However, when the person sitting next to you is smoking a cigarette... *cough* *cough* Even the best air filtration systems don't really do the job.

Cigars and pipes are even worse yet (sorry jinks and others).

Personally, I'm looking forward to being able to sit in a club for more than an hour without my eyes stinging from smoke.