Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isaan diary - Article in the Economist

Liked

Isaan diary - Article in the Economist

I ran accross this article in the Economist. I thought some of the board members would be interested in reading it.

http://economist.com/daily/diary/displa ... d=10486622

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Re: Isaan diary - Article in the Economist

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy
    I ran accross this article in the Economist. I thought some of the board members would be interested in reading it.

http://economist.com/daily/diary/displa ... d=10486622
    It's not of much interest to me Kitty, but I am sure your desired drinking buddy Hommie, would find it so.

Being serious Kitty, whilst the family in question in the Economist article are by no means unique, families living in the same comfort as them in Issan, as well as sharing the same educational background, would be extremely few and far between.

I have spent many years living in, as well as visiting Issan and I can tell you from my personal experience, that the highlighted family in this article, are very much the exception to the general rule.

I am certain that others here that have any knowledge whatsoever of Issan, as well as how the greater majority of it's inhabitants survive there and the type of homes they live in, will validate what I have said.

However, on a posotive note, it's always been my favourite province in Thailand, as well as the people being my favourite too. You would be hard pressed to find more kind and friendly people, anywhere on our planet.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by George
    ... as well as the people being my favourite too
    As they should. After all, aren't 100% of the boys in your new bar from Isaan?

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    ... as well as the people being my favourite too
    As they should. After all, aren't 100% of the boys in your new bar from Isaan?
    As you have stated on many occasions that you will never visit Pattaya, as to whether or not the boys in my bar are from Issan or not, is something I guess that you will never know for certain, is it? Neither for that matter, is it any business of yours where they are from. I am surprised somewhat, that it is even of any interest to you.

I am sure you will not be pleased Hommie, when I say, that by making remarks such as those above, you are giving more credence to Aunty's words about your obsession and envy of us, than you would perhaps care to.

Cheers,

G.

Liked
    Could you boys perhaps continue your so very very interesting repartee in the PM department? I didn't realize this board acted as a open email service between the two of you.

Thanks for the post, kitty. Interesting article although not exactly the typical Isaan family as noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Could you boys perhaps continue your so very very interesting repartee in the PM department? I didn't realize this board acted as a open email service between the two of you.
    Bob, with respect, I don't believe for one minute that anyone is holding a gun to your head making you read Hommie's or my posts, so if they upset you as they appear to be doing, you can choose another very simple option in order to prevent this. It is also an alternative, that may also save you what appears to me as some obvious stress on your part.

That other option being of course: Don't read them

G.

Options

That other optopn being of course: Don't read them
    Surely it's open to Bob to put us both on {Ignore}? That's another option (or optopn)

Re: Options

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    That's another option (or optopn)
    Glad to see you are awake Hommie and spotted the deliberate mistake. Now edited.

G.

Liked
    Thanks for the post, kitty. Interesting article although not exactly the typical Isaan family as noted.[/quote]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I suspect that you are correct that some of those mentioned in the article are not "typical" of an Issan family. What I thought was interesting were the comments on the social changes taking place in the area.

The increasing materialism and the errosion of village values, etc... If that is the case then those social changes will impact all the people in the Issan region.

I suspect that having written that some posters will Immediately tell me how that is incorrect that the thais have always been materialistic, etcтАж.. blah blahтАж

That very well could be the case. However, from reading the article there are social changes taking place in the Issan area. That is what I think is intersting about the article not that it does or does not represent the "typical" family living in the area.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

I unignored my ignores as a New Year's moritorium and to see if they had said or were saying anything interesting. It was a mistake.