Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok hotel advice

Bangkok hotel advice

Hello, I am new here (wave to all).

My son is going to have a short stop-over in Bangkok. (He is straight, certainly not homophobic, but unavailable in that sense, which I guess makes my post much less interesting, even though he is young, single and very attractive if his girlfriends are to be believed.)

I am helping him with his hotel booking. I have browsed a lot of hotel booking and review sites. I have only found one hotel with both excellent reviews and relatively inexpensive rooms. It is the Unico Grande Sukhumvit (formerly Europe Park) on Sukhumvit Soi 1, near a hospital (Bur-gum-something-or-other).

Does anyone know this hotel? Is the area OK, convenient, safe? I can see it is close to the Skytrain, which I guess makes it convenient, whatever he may feel like doing (nightlife, shopping, museums, etc) during his stay. I can also see a lot of Embassies in the area - in most big cities, that would indicate a better/safer neighbo(u)rhood.

Do you think it is a sensible choice? Or, should we be looking at other areas of Bangkok? Proximity to nightlife is not necessarily a criterion, especially where the Skytrain is easily accessible.

Thanks in advance for your advice, - Dad

It is very convenient to the Nana entertainment plaza area. Your son will be very happy there.

Liked

Sukhumvit Soi 1

This particular area seems to be the province of Middle Eastern and African visitors.....he may feel out of place. Pinnacle via Jimmy whilst hosting a large gay contingent is probably still 50:50 straight/gay and is good value even if the rooms are a little tired....Jimmy has the best rates, but if that is a hassle any of the discount sites (Asia Rooms, etc) wouldn't be that much more.
    He will be quite safe there, and if he is easy on the eye......appreciated by at least 50% of his fellow guests!

He might have more fun in the Kao San Road area where all the backpackers and young travellers go.

I have stayed at a place called the KT guest house, it's a bit out of the way but the rooms are fine, they have a restaurant and a pool and the staff are great.
    It's easy enough to get around from there, walk or motor bike taxi to the train station.
    Not a gay place but friendly and helpful.

Prices are on the first page of the website. http://www.ktguesthouse.com/

Liked

Re: Sukhumvit Soi 1

Quote Originally Posted by ned kelly
    This particular area seems to be the province of Middle Eastern and African visitors.....he may feel out of place. Pinnacle via Jimmy whilst hosting a large gay contingent is probably still 50:50 straight/gay and is good value even if the rooms are a little tired....Jimmy has the best rates, but if that is a hassle any of the discount sites (Asia Rooms, etc) wouldn't be that much more.
    He will be quite safe there, and if he is easy on the eye......appreciated by at least 50% of his fellow guests!
    And if he drops into the Pinnacle sauna at the rooftop swimming pool, he will probably get a pleasant surprise

Pinnacle rooftop swimming pool? When did that arrive?

Welcome newbie!

If Suckhumvit is first choice, then I rather like The Regency Park managed by Accor an very well too. They have super beds, gay friendly,no joiner's fee and through Asia Travel about 1700 baht ex breakfast. Not far to skytrain station.

accorhotels.com/accorhotels/fichehotel/gb/mer/1605/fiche_hotel.shtml

I would let your son fix his own hotel -he's got to learn to stand on his own 2 feet sooner or later.
    All part of the experience.

J

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by z909
    I would let your son fix his own hotel -he's got to learn to stand on his own 2 feet sooner or later.
    All part of the experience.

J
    Depending on how old he is, I might agree with that. But it's "Dad" that has to make that decision, and since he's already come here asking for suggestions, then I would think he's already decided! Maybe he'll let the lad do it himself next time. I am not a big fan of sink or swim.

Thank you all for your replies. We are browsing the links you have provided.

My son is paying for everything. I am only helping him with some advice and with using the hotel review and booking sites. He is inexperienced, but capable of learning fast and standing on his own feet.

What is the area of Regency Park (Sukhumvit, around Soi 22) like? Most reviewers seem to like the location, a few think it is "rowdy". Is it safe? I know the Skytrain makes it convenient.

I don't know and don't care if he wants to invite a cute friend into his room. I told him about the jailbait blackmail scams I have read about.

I understand Bangkok is relatively safe compared to other big, crowded cities if one uses common sense.

Thanks again, - Dad